Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

some tiny real 3D

MAUL0r
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
I recently got back into sculpting, just to stave off boredom as I get ready to graduate, here's a couple of lil' creatures I made while I was at my tutoring job. the first is a baby dragon, and the second is a "zombie commando" for a mideveil tabletop style RP game I was helping the 11yr old I tutor design.

sculptures.jpg

a quarter is placed in the photo for size comparison wink.gif

Replies

• jimiyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimiyo polycounter lvl 17
    cool dood! that had to be tuff. they look good.

but why not just build large, and use a shrink gun? wink.gif
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe nice, looks great for such a "low clay count" wink.gif.
  • Chi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chi polycounter lvl 17
    Baby dragon is cool, maybe you can try paint some of these? smile.gif
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've considered painting them, haven't had the time lately though, I'd want to do it right, and that would take some time.
  • nomichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nomichi polycounter lvl 17
    What kind of clay or modeling compound do you use for this? I bought some kind of modeling clay or something a while back but I couldnt manipulate it well so I think it wasn't the right stuff. I think it would be good practice for me to get my mind around 3d to work with this.
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've always thought that to be true nomichi, understanding physical 3d really helps with digital 3d imo.

this is SuperSculpey:
    IMAGE%5CSuperSculpey%5Css1-a.jpg

About the only issue i've seen with this stuff is that it can be hard to sculpt with when it gets too warm/soft, but if you are able to set something down before doing detail work you're in good shape.

the nice part is that this stuff turns into hard plastic when you bake it in the oven... you can make all kinds of stuff with it.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Another downside is that its fairly expensive as far as sculpting clay goes...
    Also its poisonous, and makes your hands feel gritty and kinda nasty until you vigorously wash them. (gritty lava-soap works well for this)

That said, I LOVE Super Sculpy. I wish I spent more time working with it, but alas only so many hours in a day.
  • nomichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome thanks. I'll have to try and find some to try it out. Do you use any special tools to model with this stuff?
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    If you make a mold of them using silicon (casting) rubber you'll have a sellable product there, esp the little dragon, I can see those as little bronze resin casts, or maybe even all the way up to hollowcast metals... nice!

[that was in reply to MAUL0r, I've still not got the hang of how this forums works!]
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe thanks Kat!

Nomichi: I usually just use a dental tool, something with a flat end and a pointed blade end. I'd reccomend using a dental tool if you plan to work small.
  • nomichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I don't have a dental tool but I have something like these but probably crappier. Since I don't know squat about modeling, would you say these are good or should I try to find a dental tool?
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    those are fine to start with, you're going to want to work slightly bigger than what i've been doing though, it's hard to get that kind of tiny undercut look with something so big. Give it a shot though i'm curious to see what you come up with!
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    This is a bit bigger then yours, but it's about 5 or 6 inches tall. Scaled to the spider man and the 9 inch boba fett. laugh.gif It's a alien head I created for class a few years ago, I want to go back and redo it though it was fun but I was rushed for the details and stuff. Aluminum wrapping paper ball for center of his head and I cooked some teeth but never used em, although I did cook his eyeballs first then placed them in his head. I wanted to put some texturing on his head but ran out of time.

sculpey.jpg
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well I don't have a dental tool but I have something like these but probably crappier. Since I don't know squat about modeling, would you say these are good or should I try to find a dental tool?

[/ QUOTE ]

That tool is the most valueable of all when you work with normal clay.

I recently sculpted for the first time since gradschool and it was great, it's almost scary to see how easy it is to sculpt with many years of modeling faces in 3D Max.

I would buy some cheap hobbyshop clay (I assume around $10 for 10 kilo) and just start making stuff. I really want to try out sculpy, but I'll first get to know the medium for next to nothing, working on larger sculptures before spending money on expensive clay.

Cool stuff maulor, extremely tiny too. smile.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    The sculpting folk at work recommended I start with plasticine (not the really soft kids stuff). Cheap as chips and great for practicing. Pop a bit in the microwave for 15-20 seconds to soften it up.
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    only down side to that stuff is that it never dries. But like you say, good for practice.