Home General Discussion

Gears of War : Road to E3

McIlroy
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
My girlfriend was flipping through the channels and noticed a show that was video game related about E3. I sat down and watched it and it was pretty cool behind the scenes look at Epic crunching to make the E3 deadline. A little to much cliffy B for my own personal taste but also a much better look at how the video game industry is since it was skewed a little by Grabndma's Boy. It's airing again at 11pm tonight on MTV if you want to catch it . I tried to find it on google video but nothing up there so far. Though I think this clip is derived from the MTV show .

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4437957437803139584&q=gears+of+war

Anyways just thought some people might be interested smile.gif

Replies

• arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    you can watch the whole thing for free and some extras here, just follow the video link at the top
    http://www.mtv2.com/#series/20691

would of been better if they would of cut all the real world crap with cliffy b's 12 year old girlfriend. man what a pedo!!
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    I noticed Mr. Frank the Avenger shows up in that. smile.gif
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    would of been better if they would of cut all the real world crap with cliffy b's 12 year old girlfriend. man what a pedo!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha , That's the truth ! Is ROR anywhere to be found ? Thanks for the link btw smile.gif
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    New Epic building is nice! Would be been nice to concentrate more on the artists and programmers and less on Cliffy.

interesting to watch, I'm dreading E3 next year for our headaches and bugs.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    They should have called that whole thing "The Story of the Chainsaw"
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I'm not in it. Like most of the artists, I avoided the cameras like the plague. They can only really concentrate on those that want people to concentrate on them remember smile.gif

r.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks pretty hot to me. Mind ya, I'm the same age.

One thing I have deffinatly gotta say I like about this though, is that finally the people behind the games are getting some press. I've always though that it is crap how little notice game designers and the such get when in the movie industry directors names are known in ever house hold. This is a step in the right direction.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Jesus, CliffyB should get off our screens already. Talk about annoying.
    Gears looks awesome though, a very fun game. Almost makes me want to take the plunge and buy my very first console smile.gif
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Mop you suck, you need to own at least 3 generations of console... AT LEAST!! wink.gif

heh, I watched the vid at work, fun... and our industry needs more of this
  • Dravalen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dravalen polycounter lvl 18
    Nice to see that the cheap nerf pistol is showing up at other dev houses, I know everyone at our office has one. smile.gif
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Nerf pistol has been around for a long, long time. smile.gif

My most embarassing moment evar!: one night at Legend, working into the wee hours on Unreal 2 stuff, I was reeeaaaally in the zone. Music was on, external bullshit was filtered, shit was getting done.

So this was the perfect time for Matt Worch, Scott Dalton and Aaron Leiby to ambush me with Nerf guns from behind. smile.gif

I screamed. Like a leetle girl.

I think they felt bad about it. But probably not. Being, as they were and still are, eeevil.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    why did they even need to show that cliffy b's dude's girl? and them making out?
    It is cool though to see more of the people responsable for the game get showcased.
  • Dravalen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dravalen polycounter lvl 18
    Hah yeah, if we even so much as waive a nerf gun at our lead designer we usually get a good reaction smile.gif
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    why did they even need to show that cliffy b's dude's girl? and them making out?
    It is cool though to see more of the people responsable for the game get showcased.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's MTV..there needs to be drama!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i never made it in there either, there was one time when i was eating lunch with cliff and some other artists and the swarm of cameras were upon us like black death.

it was actually kinda cool, but i guess people eating isnt dramatic though smile.gif

hawkprey is in the mocap exclusive, in some hot tights.

i think i wore my XL (sigh) polycount shirt a couple days too, with hopes to get it on camera smile.gif
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    Argh! Media Player must die!!
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    I did find it funny that "CliffyB" would slip in these things about having a girlfriend and what-not. It was almost like a personal diary not a Road to E3.

Ah well, always nice to see inside studios. Epic looks like a very nice place to work, surprised to see "CliffyB" asking to borrow the Lambo - isn't he minted himself?
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    I was little suprised to see how push-over Epic is.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I noticed Mr. Frank the Avenger shows up in that. smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm all over the commercial and not in the show! I guess I've officially been told I'm not cool enough to be on MTV. tongue.gif

Frank the Avenger
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
  • Spoon_of_death
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon_of_death polycounter lvl 17
    OMG... its so pathethic how everybody talks about Cliff like hes some almighty god of creativity or something... Get a f'' ing life hehe
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Isn't there a chain bayonet in Warhammer 40k?

I liked the show, as mentioned, they could've cut it down to ten minutes if they didn't keep bullshitting with Cliffy B and the "conflict of the chainsaw gun". That and the one head guy with a lamborghini...why would you ever lend that car out to anyone!?!?!? I really would've liked to have seen more about Epic's artists and coders.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    yeah but what you want and what the kids want are totally different things. do it for the children! Making games is cool, and very hip, you drive fast cars to work and date hot 19 year olds, making games is the life of a rockstar, this industry is very cool and all the kids want to be in it. just admit it.
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    Did you work with Marc Tetreault? smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    The Nerf pistol has been around for a long, long time. smile.gif

My most embarassing moment evar!: one night at Legend, working into the wee hours on Unreal 2 stuff, I was reeeaaaally in the zone. Music was on, external bullshit was filtered, shit was getting done.

So this was the perfect time for Matt Worch, Scott Dalton and Aaron Leiby to ambush me with Nerf guns from behind. smile.gif

I screamed. Like a leetle girl.

I think they felt bad about it. But probably not. Being, as they were and still are, eeevil.

[/ QUOTE ]
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep! Marc did some awesome work on U2. Hey, I heard he went on to UbiSoft Montreal. Do you work with that no-good dirty bastard? smile.gif

(John Sheffield 'ere)
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yep! Marc did some awesome work on U2. Hey, I heard he went on to UbiSoft Montreal. Do you work with that no-good dirty bastard? smile.gif

(John Sheffield 'ere)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I do, that's why I'm asking smile.gif He's a good buddy of mine. smile.gif
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    yeah but what you want and what the kids want are totally different things. do it for the children! Making games is cool, and very hip, you drive fast cars to work and date hot 19 year olds, making games is the life of a rockstar, this industry is very cool and all the kids want to be in it. just admit it.

[/ QUOTE ]

But..you're a rockstar! So to be equivalent to CliffyB, you have to date an...8 year old? wink.gif

Now if MTV did a "Real World" with all game characters...now that might be hilarious...
    Lara Croft: aren't you gay?
    Master Chief: no, for f(bleep)'s sake I have a sexy blue chick in my pants! right now! *melee attacks Lara*
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    i love the "OMFG what I'm supposed to say" face when Bill Gate asks to cliff if they can ship the game this fall smile.gif