Home General Discussion

Quitting school?

Ramucho
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
Well since the general discussion forum is the best place to talk about personal problems, I thought it was time for me to try it out smile.gif

Well this may be the most important and crucial decision I'll ever made; I've been a student for two years in a computer graphics school in France(mainly for non game related stuff like making shorts, compositing and stuff). The fact is, that this school sucks so hard that more than half of the students won't attend the third year.
But here comes the real problem the fact is that I'm not french and none of my parents are, I'm actually morocan (north africa), and I can't stay in France If I don't study or work there. My parents are really affraid about that since I'd like to take a whole year to work on my portfolio and they keep telling me that going back to morocco would be a suicide since there are no jobs in my field (even if there is a UBI studio there).

Tried to make as short as possible I myself always avoid huge posts with no pics
So here it is any suggestions or thoughts are welcome!
grin.gif

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Taking a whole year to work on your portfolio and nothing else seems stupid, especially considering the other problems that it would give you.

If you needed to put together a portfolio and were doing nothing else in the meantime, it should take you a couple months tops. A month would probably be more than enough if you were working on it fulltime.

Dont quit your school unless youre either, getting a job, or transferring to another school.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    whats the problem?

just sit through the third year and leave with a degree, then you can get a good job a bit easier. It's not really the course thats important, it's finishing it and getting the little bit of paper.

if money is an issue, I take it you can work part time a certain amount of hours right?
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    either stick with it and get the degree like hawken suggests or look into taking a more traditional art course.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Stay in school. Its ONE more year, ONE. That way you leave with a bit of paper saying 'Qualified at finishing'.

It doesn't matter what a degree is in, it's the getting one that impresses.

I hasten to add, getting a degree in ancient languages won't get you a career as a surgeon. Etc.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i agree with what has been said here , i know people that go to cg schools just to get the f***** paper and meanwhile be able to build portfolio ( like me :P) so yeah, dont quit, one more year, if it is crappy then you could try to make killer work, might high up the "moral" of your colleagues and kick the instructor in the nuts.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i agree with what has been said here , i know people that go to cg schools just to get the f***** paper and meanwhile be able to build portfolio ( like me :P) so yeah, dont quit, one more year, if it is crappy then you could try to make killer work, might high up the "moral" of your colleagues and kick the instructor in the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

More likely the school will take the credit for his portfolio and use it in its advertising campaign.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    Hawken is right though. Try to finish what you start. Looks good on the old resume.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Quitting school will be a diservice to yourself. Best to finish what you begin.

I can relate to going through rough times and being tempted to quit along the way. Half way during my 2 year art school education i was tempted to quit and during the 6 years i endured rejection after rejection from one game company to another i almost quit in those times as well but i bit the bullet and never quit.

In hindsight i am so damn happy i never did, eventually i did get the job ive dreamed of doing since i was a little boy, i have also gotten an opportunity to work and live in Europe and the game im currently working on at the moment is truely one of the kinds of titles i always wanted to work on. Whenever i see work of mine on E3 reels i giggle like a little boy.

But who knows where i would be today if i did quit. My guess is very unhappy working some shit minimum wage job.

So the desicion is yours, if this is important to you,Dont quit.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Like everyone said stayin school unless you are transfering to a better place or getting a decent paying job. Also Try and get an intern at a company either doing ads or cg. If you quit real life will get in the way of you making a reel and everything just get's harder especially if you have studen loans. Good luck.

Alex