Home General Discussion

Modo 201 is OUT

Replies

• James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Get ready for a massive download. =]
    Over 2 gigs of stuff on top of the installer.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    omg omg omg omg
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    so if i download this, what are the advantages over maya?
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    For the model/texture pipe, plenty. Check the videos and decide for yourself smile.gif
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee: It's just another modeling and texturing solution that comes with some other perks. The feature list and videos are pretty detailed, and they should have a trial version available for download in a few days after all the preorders and such have had a chance to grab it.

There's also a photoshop plugin called Image Synth that they are offering. I still need to check that out myself.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    So is this a sub-d only program, I am yet to see anyone make anything but hi res models to be used for normal maps?
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    watch the videos
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look around their forums, there are a few non-SubD game models scattered about. It's definitely possible.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Looking forward to hearing the reaction on this. smile.gif Maya's cheaper though, so I doubt I'd actually get it. :P
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maya's cheaper than $895?! To hell with Modo!

Maybe you meant XSI FND. smile.gif
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, meant Maya. Costs'$450 for unlimited $350 for complete. Through my school that is. And apparently we're gettin a deal soon that gives us Maya, PS, Illustrator, MS Office, and a bunch of other programs for around 600-800. Dunno if that's actually gonna happen, but if it does I'll be flippin out.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Nope, meant Maya. Costs'$450 for unlimited $350 for complete. Through my school that is. And apparently we're gettin a deal soon that gives us Maya, PS, Illustrator, MS Office, and a bunch of other programs for around 600-800. Dunno if that's actually gonna happen, but if it does I'll be flippin out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Educational license - you cant use it for commercial purposes, like you cant legally freelance with it or anything.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damnit! You sure? Good thing you said so, cause it's fairly useless then.

Thanks for saying Toomas. Modo is again looking better.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am fairly sure, but check out the license agreement just to be sure.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, thanks man. I'll look into it. I'm damn lucky that you said that now before I bought it.

Do you know if other companies are the same? (Like adobe?)
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    The advantage of all these new packages - Modo, Silo, Hex - is that they are new. They are taking all the great features that we know and love, putting a new spin on them, and removing all the bloat.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed. smile.gif The thing about modo is it's roadmapped to become a full suite, and it's totally non-legacy. Right now the interface offers a best case approach to modeling, 3D painting, unwrapping... I can't wait to see their take on animation tools.

http://www.luxology.com/press/release/080305_Lux_Roadmap.aspx
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    duh, of course the whole point of an edu license is that you can not use it for commercial purposes. in some cases you even have to renew annually. i know maya used to be like that but maybe that has changed after the big '02 pricedrop.

anyway, recently tested modo 10? and boy that interface felt sluggish out of the box. seemed like a program that bogs down really fast.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can completely modify the interface, i ended up making something very similar to max out of it smile.gif and then stopped playing around with it ... lol essentially never really learning the program. frown.gif
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One cool thing I haven't messed with yet as far as UI editing goes is the new input remapping stuff. You can actually reuse keys for different operations depending on a context you set for it. So you could have it so that the same key performs a different operation if you press it while the mouse cursor is in a certain viewport, or having a modifier key do different things depending on which tool is active. Apparently there's even more input control stuff coming in the next update... they just didn't have time to fit it all in for this release.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    I hav'nt tried it yet, but should'nt applications be designed for easy use without having to change the buttons or placement. I've just noticed this new trend to release an app with a less than friendly interface, but add the feature to alter it to compensate. Silo, ZBrush, Blender, now Modo.

90% of us technically dont know if we can make better use with a certain feature untill it's implimented. Such as the scroll wheel etc. Must wait patiently for demo :/
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Um... well sure. Considering that I've been using the default UI as well since it shipped I'd say it works. When a developer provides the capability to tailor the app to my preferred way of working, I take that as extra effort and consideration for my needs as a user. Not all applications offer such things. They are there for you to take advantage of or not as you see fit. The default UI is definitely adequate as is. It's not perfect. But what is? At least we have options.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a quick, easy example of one of the few simple changes I felt would make my life easier during beta testing. I use the UV tools a lot but they aren't accessible anywhere from the main UI other than the texture dropdown menu. Rather than constantly accessing the menu during UV editing, I just duplicated the main tool tab, then swapped out the duplicate tools section for Vertex mapping tools. This also keeps the tool properties pane beneath accessible in the new UV tab so I can always access it regardless of which tab or tools I'm working with.

defaultUI.jpgUVtools.jpg
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    Very impressive, I'm going to grab the trial version as soon as it goes up. The price still seems quite steep to me. XSI goes for under 500 dollars, and Modo isn't a full animation suite yet. I suppose it doesn't really matter if your employers is getting it for you anyways, but it's an important factor for us hobbyists. crazy.gif

Hopefully Silo 2 comes out before the Modo trial expires!
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry. I never meant to say Modo did'nt have a great interface. I suppose the correct way to address this was to ask the beta testers how the interface felt. The videos show features being applied to models, but I can't seem to find one for the interface. I just assumed it was similar to Silo, and they expected you to create the interface etc.

Seeing those shots, I can tell I was mistaken. Looks wonderful, and the adjusments you made seem to be built in alterations/custimizations, as opposed to bitmap based ones.

Nevermind.. Found the video that shows the toolpipe.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah I gotcha Down. Yeah, modo definitely supplies more of a GUI upfront than Silo. But that is also one of Silo's charms imo. Version 2 will have a lot more GUI available in the default setup, with all the power to modify it as much as you like as usual.

Zcubed: As much as I like it myself, I usually don't recommend an app like Modo if you aren't making money from using it. The price is steep enough that I don't think I would be able to justify myself if I were a hobbyist.

There are definitely good alternatives that are easier on the credit card. I wish I had so many software options when I first started out. It's so nice to be able to choose exactly what works best for you at a price you can afford these days.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    The interface is a tricky thing to nail - you either go for minimal, where as a beginner you have to learn loads of key combos and menus, or you do the default blender interface where you have a space shuttle sim with a 100x100 pixel art window (and this scares people)

to be honest, either approach is great, because it makes 3d art scary. This means there are less people taking it up and taking my job.

Silo 2 is very strong, on a £perfeature basis it's really top notch.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XSI may be cheap but its modeling tools suck in comparison, Modo does what it does FANTASTICLY but is not the tool for you if you need more than it can do. I havent gotten around to getting 2.01 but even with 1.03 i am very very happy.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    XSI may be cheap but its modeling tools suck in comparison...

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? How so? I found XSI's poly modeling toolset to be quite robust.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    That pen tool video made me poo my drawers. Awesome. Was it Silo with the topology brush? Polyboost for Max has some similar features, but thats a plugin and a whole discussion.

I'll give the demo a whirl, thats for sure.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scoob: yeah the pen tool is probably closer to polyboost in how it works. I've had good results with it so far.
  • Bradfordart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'd be pretty interested in hearing some specifics on this as well.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'd be pretty interested in hearing some specifics on this as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go watch the modo vids or download the demo and use them for yourself, xsi's tools are completely unituative compared, hell max's tools feel better to me than xsi's and thats saying a lot.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

Go watch the modo vids or download the demo and use them for yourself, xsi's tools are completely unituative compared, hell max's tools feel better to me than xsi's and thats saying a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fair enough, I'll comment again once I've actually tried Modo. I think a lot of it is just toolset familiarity: getting aquainted with the interface and workflow.

XSI is unintuitive? confused.gif I'm still holding out for some specific examples.
  • Bradfordart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    XSI is unintuitive? confused.gif I'm still holding out for some specific examples.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. Don't want to drag this into a program-tool war, but Earthquake how much time have you actually spent in XSI?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not trying to state my opinions as fact. I've used xsi enough to know that it dosent feel intuitive to me, simply using it more would not make the tools more responsive, easier to use or better featured. Everyone that i have talked to has almost instantly been able to work well in modo right out of the box, with very easy learning curve, the tools are just straight forward and a pleasure to work with. XSI has some redeeming features but if you want to just get to raw modeling tools theres no question. Most of what im saying is also probally applicable to Silo as well, tho i havent really took the time to do much with it yet.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You still haven't really offered anything other than your own opinion, but I'll quit now before a software war starts up. crazy.gif

Silo is probably my favorite app for pure modeling, if only because it is infinitely customizable. In my time with it I pretty much got rid of the interface and worked exclusively with hotkeys. It's really lightweight and streamlined too.

It's a thread about Modo, though, so I'll be back once I get the demo.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Does this really have to be a page long Modo/XSI debate?

(edit: apologies. EQ is a cool guy, and excellent in bed...so I've heard ooo.gif )

The thing is, XSI is for animation. Its strength is in animation. I just happen to be one of the few who purchased XSI for its animation tools alone, but instead fell in love with its modeling, and UV mapping, integrated mental ray, game format exporting...hell everything. And its modeling tools continue to improve...with each version...yes I know that's unheard of in the industry.

Modo's design is focused on modeling, plus it paints and renders. XSI animates, renders, plus all the things a robust DCC tool should do.

There is no problem with using both. Doing so is still a fair price. Although, Modo doesn't appear to be designed with XSI compatibility in mind. Oh well.

Modo looks like a great tool to have around. The guys developing it know their stuff.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exactly all i was stating is my opinion. You need to try the program out for yourself to see if it works for you.

Hahaha Will, take things personally much? Dont bring up irrelevant shit you have no knowledge about. Seriously any program that you need to look indepth into documentation for BASIC usage is _not_ intuitive. Im not even saying this is the case with xsi but if you knew what the word meant you would understand.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&h...on&ct=title
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Exactly all i was stating is my opinion. You need to try the program out for yourself to see if it works for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, that's all I need to hear. Sorry for getting off topic, I didn't mean to derail the thread like that. blush.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry man, but I open a thread about about Modo and the first thing I see is:

[ QUOTE ]
    XSI may be cheap but its modeling tools suck in comparison

[/ QUOTE ]

and all I can think of in response is...

[ QUOTE ]
    Dont bring up irrelevant shit you have no knowledge about.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, and others seem to share it, XSI's modeling tools are intuitive, providing options and info as defined. I was able to find my own workflow quickly for basic use. I didn't need in-depth documentation (except for certain changes in vocabulary)...but apparently some do. Modo looks as alien to me as the first time I tried XSI or Zbrush. And from a hobbyist standpoint, we want our money's worth. I'll make my own opinions when I'm able to try it.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually I get excellent compatibility with modo and XSI. =]
    They are my two main programs. As of 5.1 XSI now has native Point Oven support, which allows direct importing of lwo files, complete with uv, weight and morph data. Before 5.1 I was using Point Oven as a third party plugin - mainly so that I could import old lightwave files from assets made by other artists or myself before we started using XSI.

Personally I think XSI has some of the most powerful out of the box modeling capabilities I've used, but again, personally, I don't much enjoy the workflow for a lot of my modeling needs. It's not so much that XSI isn't a solid modeler, but that there are alternatives that fit even better the way I work. For that I use Modo, even though I think some of its XSI-equivalent tools are not as strong, overall it fits better with how I work, which in the end is more important and probably why I gravitated towards it.

I don't think debating which app is better for modeling is something that can easily reach a conclusion, as we all have different preferences. Software is just a tool and should be used or not used as the individual sees fit - or in some case, how your employer sees fit wink.gif

Cheers!

James
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's cool Gwot. I only noticed on Modo's site about workflow with separate apps, XSI isn't listed. But, they do share FBX compatibility. Perhaps in the future, Collada.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's odd Ely... I would think they'd be all over that. Point Oven has made life outside of XSI a lot more enjoyable. I should post a link to the standalone plugin for anyone interested who doesn't use XSI... or Modo... still does some cool stuff... for max and maya too.
    http://www.ef9.com/ef9/PO.htm

Looks like Seneca updated his scripts for 201 as well:
    http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=7412
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Just found this..

$99 for one year educational license for modo.. yes you can't use it for commercial work but it will help me build up my portfolio for school and when I want to go commercial I'll upgrade my license to a full account.

http://www.luxology.com/store/store_education.aspx