Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

i haven't done many environments but here it is

polybrained
polycounter lvl 17

Replies

• ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Looking like a good start! If your goal is to match the concept, I'd say youve got some proportional issues. Also, try getting in there and creating some custom textures, and baking in some advanced lighting.

Keep it up!
  • Xeto
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    I agree, a good start! I think the bump is too strong. Try modeling in the cracks rather than using bump to make them. Bump is great, but should only be used as an accent to things.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    You need to get down and dirty with your textures and make them... dirty. And the texture you're using for the ground is looking to be much lower in resolution when compared to the rest of the scene... and it looks like its normal map is even lower than the diffuse.

Keep at it.
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    I agree, a good start! I think the bump is too strong. Try modeling in the cracks rather than using bump to make them. Bump is great, but should only be used as an accent to things.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I absolutely agree. specially for games. much cheaper to have extra polys than texture or shader work in some cases. i do fell the cocnept has some vertical accentuation to some sort and the 3d model is going on a "wideness" sense. hope that makes sense if not let me know iill see how to explain it better
  • polybrained
    Offline / Send Message
    polybrained polycounter lvl 17
    thx for the advice guys, i think i'll definitely try to go in and make those changes soon. I actually did the whole thing b/c I applied for an entry level environment position and the company I applied to wanted to see more environment stuff. So I had a very small amount of time to work on it.
    yeluis: ya i see what you're saying about the "wideness"
    Xeto: i think I'll def go in and model those cracks
    adam: ya i'm not a big fan of the ground either.
  • Ryno
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    More variation in the textures, and some nice lighting should pull it all together nicely.
  • polybrained
    Offline / Send Message
    didn't get the job. I'm going to def work in fixing this guy after I'm done with what I was actually working on when I had to pop this guy out. I'm bummed.
  • tokidokizenzen
    Offline / Send Message
    tokidokizenzen polycounter lvl 17
    polybrained, Good effort on this one. An enviro scene of this size is a huge undertaking.. and to go with one concepted by Feng is a tall order wink.gif When creating a scene for learning, choose a small portion of that environment and then jam a whole lot of detail into it with the largest amount of emphasis on texture detail. When it comes to enviro stuff employers are mostly looking at the textures! If you look at the concept, all the shapes are pretty basic. You can see what Feng was emphasizing, texture, light, and scale.
  • polybrained
    Offline / Send Message
    tokidokizenzen: ya I was bitting off alittle more than I could chew doing the project in 2 days, lol. I guess I just got overly ambitious with it.