Home General Discussion

Suggestions for portable cd players?

frosty
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
frosty polycounter lvl 18
Greetings to all!

Wondering if any of you have any suggestions of these brands you'd suggest for me.

I am looking for an anti-skip jog-proof player. Sony, Panasonic, Phillips, Bose (pricey mofo's) or others?

I could care less about mp3's or music, I am an audiobook freak - like 3 hours a day!

Thanks in advance.

Frosty

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    You do know that Audiobooks go on MP3 players?

You can pick up a usb pen style mp3 player for about 25 quid, the same price as a modest CD player.

That aside, I used a sony discman for several years it never let me down.
  • frosty
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Rick, I checked out the book-of-the-month clubs with mp3 players, but but for now I am a library whore, checking out about 15 audiobooks a month, so that is way over the book-club offers here in the U.S.

The only story I purchased was A Feast For Crows by George Martin and will prolly donate it to the library eventually. All new stories, King's Dark Tower series 6 & 7 are on cd.

But lots of good old science fiction is still on cassette form so I use a portable, decent quality cassette player for those classics.

I will definately check out the sony's for sale at ebay, right now! smile.gif
  • nitzmoff
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Not to derail, but I put tons of AB's on my ipod. It takes but only a few mintues to rip and it's way handier than switching cds all the time or lugging them around.
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Frosty - buy an mp3 player, rip the CDs. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    omg frosty is posting to this board from 1998
  • frosty
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Rick, @ right on, I am going to Walmart and get the best Sony they stock and keep checking for mp3 player on ebay, I got hosed, well out-bid on 3 sony's cd's and the phillips cd I won - the guy told me he was having playing problems with all of them. Sheesh off to Walmart for instant satisfaction.

Hawken - lol - oh dude if you only knew. I am reading sci-fiction classics from the 1970/80 still. So much reading so little time. Hey, at least AFFC if recent, no? smile.gif
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I like tape players. Yea you heard me!
  • Downsizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    I have a tape bay on my system :P I'm about to sell this one, but if I get another for the new system i may sell conversions to mp3 hehe.

But yeah. Buy a small 1 gig mp3 player you will appreciate it's portability and anti-skip, and you can store about 7-8 albums at cd quality 320BR. Most people encode at 192, and huzzah more albums.
  • swampbug
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Screw all that.. I run with a record player attached to my back.
  • Rwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Go for Sony CD mp3 player. Cheap, and usually +30-40hr battery life.

Either that, go for Sony HI-Mini-Disc Player (1 gig, 5-10$ per Gig Disk) lol...
  • Mishra
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Screw all that.. I run with a record player attached to my back.

[/ QUOTE ]

i push around a victrola in a wagon.
  • Michael Knubben
    whatever you do, don`t get a philips cd-mp3, as they`re shite. i`ve had three, and they all flaked out on me, and they skip like a bastard. The one i`m using now will randomly speed up on me, which is rather annoying.

My next audio-player will most likely be an ipod, with rockbox on it.
    Let`s take this opportunity to ask everyone which mp3player they`d recommend, though. The more space, the merrier, and preferabbly hassle-free ([krd-mode]So that rules out Sony or Apple, unless you use 3rd party software, ugh[/kdr-mode])
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    I cant fault my iPod at all. It depnds on what you want - I've bought my Dad one of those little 256MB USB sticks. He can make his own compilations and it's perfect for him.

I also use mine as a hard disk, so 256MB aint enough.
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    agreed with the discussion here--my mother has one of the USB stick variants of MP3s for walking and listening to podcasts and the like, and she loves it.

if you want to buy a CD player, like MP says, probably best to avoid the MP3-CD kind.. but other than that, the technology is so cheap that you should be able to get a jog-worthy cd player for an extremely reasonable price these days, definitely less than 30 dollars or so. be sure to check out froogle and pricegrabber to get a good ballpark for what you should be paying, though, if you're going retail.