Home General Discussion

Mission Impossible III

Daz
Daz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Daz polycounter lvl 18
Well, I'm not usually one for Hollywood blockbusters but that was actually pretty enjoyable! You gotta love the insta-face scene!

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    we're not boycotting it?

it looks like a great action movie, with J.J. calling the shots. I just wish Tom would contract explosive face disease.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Acne?

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect Ely was hoping for something a little more lethal.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    The female support agent has made my extra hot list.

- BoBo
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    This movie was really damn enjoyable. Action packed and fun to watch. I was half expecting to see Cruise's sudden-wackiness come out in that movie but there weren't any hints of no one being behind the wheel.

The insta-face scene is the first thing I've told people about, and the support female agent is beautiful. That scene @ the vatican when she's in that red dress.... oh man.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Ridiculous action, lots of colors, fun at the movies. Enjoy!
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, action action action.

JJ proves he is once again god.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    an albeit too-brief Simon Pegg sighting made me happy, but the real star of the show for my money was my MAN Phil Hoffman. fresh off winning an oscar for Capote, which he was excellent in, we get to see him be a very E-V-I-L villain. kudos to him. physically, he's not intimidating at all, but with that kind of performance, i was always a little scared when he was on screen. in the bathroom sequence, you could also argue he plays a better tom cruise than tom cruise laugh.gif

and yes, JJ Abrams (which i think Cruise, as a producer, was partially responsible for bringing on board) really brings a frenetic bent to the proceedings. i was impressed with how fast the first reel/two reels of the movie move--it imparts the necessary information but keeps on moving moving moving.

it was nice because though it made good on all the mission impossible tropes (though the on-screen insta-face transformation had me giggling--very nice job there), there wasn't any sequence where the film was trying to outdo whatever else came before it... it was really just concerned with being a tight and effective action movie. and in doing so, succeeded admirably.

Michelle Monaghan is extremely cute, albeit far too blank in this role... she was great in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. the way they've assembled the supporting players at the end of the movie, it's hard not to think that there's a likeminded sequel being a possibility... hopefully Abrams will give it another go, if he's not too busy creating hit shows smile.gif
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jelmer polycounter lvl 17
    The sound was crazy loud. The camera shots were super quick, annoyingly close a lot of times and really shaky. It was the most uncomfortable watch ever in a theatre for me. But it did totaly got you into the picture. My adrenaline pump was open 200%. I got out of the theatre hyper as a loon.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    jelmer: haha yeah with today's action filmmakers' penchant for ShakeyCam abuse, it's often wise to sit back a few rows more than you might normally so the action seems slightly more coherent laugh.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Just saw this today. Gotta say I liked it as well. Like gauss said, it gave you all the info you needed while the movie sped along. Great stunts, good dialog, acting and story. Made for an entertaining morning smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Female support agent, Maggie Q, is hella hot! She's a real hum dinger.
  • Spoon_of_death
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon_of_death polycounter lvl 17
    It was an awesome movie, the whole bridge assault scene was awesome, I loved the whole physics of those missiles(and the magnetic bombs in the beginning), hope to see that sort of stuff in some games soon. It was also the first time I was in a theatre and the film reel got too hot and burnt itself, it looks really cool lol laugh.gif

BTW: what was up with that 1 minute running scene? Tom runs kinda goofy IMO laugh.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    That dude runs in all his movies.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't bring myself to go see this movie. When I saw the TV spot for it and they said something like "it's bomb-O-lcious to the radical max!" I changed the chanel...
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome movie. I don't remember that quote Vig.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Was awesome, hated the first two, hated them! Part 3 is really great!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    That's because JJ Abrams is PIMP.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Was it even remotely believable when the explosion happens behind him on the bridge and cruise flies into the car on the right? It looks so off in the previews...
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    humm, you guys just opened my apetite to go watch it. cool

btw, you have to watch final destination 3, its more of the same.. but hell, i would go see it just for the introduction. that shit is all 3d. pretty awesome. i dont remember who made it.. but i think it was the same company that made the panic room intro as well. i'll have to check it out. wink.gif
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    I soo wasn't looking forward to this movie. But it ended up quite good and action packed. And since the writers of this movie are the same guys writing the Transformers movie I couldn't help but to check it out smile.gif

I loved the face off scene aswell. It was done SOOO much better than the second movie.

The end scene was great for Tom Cruise too I loved how he just came too and knew exactly where he was and what he was doing. Probably quite unlikely but awesome nonetheless.

The bad guy could have put up more of a fight or been killed in a more vengeful fashion though wink.gif
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I gotta be the odd man out and say it was mediocre. I watched the original TV series with my dad as a kid, and this, once again, is NOT mission impossible. Rather than working out elaborate plans to pull off some extremely difficult objectives. It was much more James Bond than Mission Impossible. It was better than MI2, that's for sure in terms of staying true to it's source material, but isn't as good as the first movie in that sense.

So to address it as what it is, an action movie through and through. It wasn't too shabby, a good popcorn flick. Personally I don't care much for Tom Cruise, he does the same role he has done for his entire life, playing Tom Cruise. I definitely appreciate him doing his own stunts in this movie particularly. The portrayal of him and his wife's relationship was so paper thin I was kind of hoping Phil Hoffman's character WOULD kill her just to go against the normal plot that you KNOW the hero is going to save the girl.

Lastly, I read a review before seeing it, and I have to agree, Philip Seymour Hoffman's character was severely under emphasized. He seemed like he'd make a great bad guy and for the scenes he had, he did, but the script just didn't seem to cast him to strongly as the nemesis, it was more about "who was the person in the organization that is a traitor", which is a plot twist we've already seen in the original (and many James Bond flicks to go with my comparison before).

I dunno, there were some excusable holes in the plot, but worth a rental if it's your bag.