Home Technical Talk

Need Help-Weird triangle on Model in zbrush

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
kunglao polycounter lvl 18
working on model in zbrush exported from max 8 only using edit mode,i work my way up sub divisions adding detail and hide parts of body and work on a small section at a time.
i finished at lunchtime and save file.I have been working this afternoon and unhide all before i saved and noticed this big triangle even when i drop to level 1 there is still a problem(looks like a point has been dragged all across screen)
How did this happen?
And how can i correct this please?
I have also posted on zbrush central and this is the 1st time i havew been able to get to my pc in a while as my apartment has been redecorated.
Earlier feedback suggests that i drop to lowest sub div level and take back to max8 and fix vert or delete bad side mirror ands bring back to zbrush-if this is the way what about the higher sub div levels(upto 6 in total,unlikely i could export highest sub div to max,nearly 2million polys).
Also the model was unwrapped/uvw mapped before i took her into zbrush, is this going to cause trouble if i mirror.
Please,i am on bended knee for your help and advice.I have spent a lot of time on her and really dont want to start over, cant for the life of me figure how this occured as i only work in edit mode and on small parts at any one time.I always back up my work to disc but only ever overwrite previous file. my only other saved file is on an external hd but that was 5 days before this and would still require a lot of work just to get to wherer she is now.
thank you.Below is pics 1st 2 are highest sub bdiv and 3rd from lowset sub div
zbrushdocument11li.jpg
zbrushdocument26wr.jpg
zbrushdocument34lq.jpg

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    have you checked for open edges, double vertex, the usual crap that messes a model ? they might vreate these issues, it happened once to me. almost ate my cat.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I've recently had a stray vert in Zbrush and yeah, it can be a royal pain in the butt.

You say you cant export your highest Subdiv but you'd be surprised. And even so, by exporting one level down you're maybe not losing *too* much work.

I fixed mine by:

Exporting highest subdiv back into maya (about 800,000tris)
    Moved stray vert back into place, welded, fixed UV's.
    Export back into ZB.
    Used the 'reconstruct subdiv' command to recreate the lower levels one by one.

Worked for me at least.

As for how it happened and avoiding re-occurences, I haven't explored it, but I suspect there's a small chance you might have had an unwelded vert on initial Max export. But I don't know. To be safe, I would always do a global weld (or whatever the max command is) before taking into ZB.
  • kunglao
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i decided to export sub div level 1 model back to max.

the triangle present turned out to be a vertex from her little finger that somehow had attached itself to the front of her hat.

I fixed this and imported back to zbrush replaced old level1 with fixed one,

however when i went up through the sub divs i got weird results as sceenshots show.
    untitled12il.jpg

I am guessing that the problem here could be with the obj.Exporter settings in max 8

the settings that i checked are-

Group and material-group by Object

Geometry-rotate model

Faces-Quads

Texture cordinates

normals

smooth groups

vertex scale 1

file-# of digits 6

Everything else remained unchecked.

Hope you guys can help
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    convert to edt poly before exporting from max.
    i had the same prob and thought it "fixed itself". but turns out(i had a little hangover that day. haha.), i converted to poly w/o even realizing it. AND, the_bird posted the same solution afterwards so....that's gotta be it man.

what i find helpful is to build your model...then get it into zbrush...bump it up a crapload and inspect every nook and cranny. zbrush is good at letting you know when you have unweilded verts.
  • kunglao
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finally, sorted it.Just imported orig lo pol from max and replaced 1st sub div level with new.Must have been a glitch that caused it as it happened again this afternoon and i had to repeat process.
    Anyways,
    Here is where i am at-
    2nd time using zbrush,just starting on pm mode for refinements and extra detail.
    1 quesyion, can i use materials in zbrush on this model as i will be making diffuse and spec in photoshop? i am unsure on this.thanx
    femalefirefighterwip9fj.jpg
  • kunglao
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Not entirely sure what you mean. You can import and export textures to and from Zbrush. They'll load in upside down though, so you'll need to flip the 'V' (theres a button for this in the texture loading window).
  • kunglao
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is latest update of my character.I have gone for an unsual approach,i hope to have 2 versions when complete,one will be normal girl with water hose gun etc,the other will be an undead version with the hose gun emitting fire instead of water,she will be all burnt and charred.

2nd time using zbrush.

Created lopoly in max and imported to zbrush and sub divided for hi polywhich i will use for creating normal map.

All her accessories are seperate and although modelled in max,i am yet to take them to zbrush.

i have a couple of questions-

1.The materials in zbrush- can i use them on hi poly model bearing in mind that the hipoly will be for normal map and i will be adding diffuse and spec maps (that will be made in photoshop).

2.I have read that because model even at lowest level changes shape, i need to take her back to max and tweak uv's.I mapped her before bringing into zbrush.

Can anyone explain this?

3.When i mapped her in max i detached and left behind her eyes,front of hat(that will have number on),hair(including bangs and eyelashes.They all all present on mesh bitmap,my idea was to attach them back to model later and paint in ps,is this ok,also cause i will need to adjust uvs,when i take to max and click edit uvs they are not present,can make adjusts then overlay onto orig bitmap .

4. i downloaded a shader for her skin JIstyles skinoflight r1 can this also be applied to her?never used shaders before

5.Finally,i have zmapper which i have not used before, is there anything i should be aware of when i start(eg-best settings etc0

thanx
    ffwip8nu.jpg