Home General Discussion

visual music

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
John Warner polycounter lvl 18
i've always been a fan of all kinds of music, (i'm a metal fan mostly) but lately i've been listening to a lot of stuff that i'd only really describe as visual.. and i'm finding it's AWESOME to do art to.

right now i'm spinning a few soundtracks, namely, edward scissorhands, and the mummy soundtrack (which rules believe it or not) i've got a few other tracks that are really cool kickin around as well. some stuff with ambient sounds in the background.. basicaly music that paints very clear internal imagery.

anyone else use music like this? i'd love to hear what you guys use.

note- this is a little bit different than the list of bands that you just rock out to for fun.. unless they're one and the same i suppose heh.

Replies

• Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    ANY Danny Elfman is really good for this - especially "The Nightmare Before Christmas" soundtrack. I'm diggin' Hanz Zimmer and Harry Gregson Williams ATM, specifically "Pirates of the Carribean", "The Rock" and "Broken Arrow" by the former and "MGS2" and "Chronicles of Narnia" by the latter.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    hmm, I have a few soundtracks on my itunes and I find that if you delete the crappy songs they often work well for arting to.

try;

napoleon dynamite
    the life aquatic

(although many tracks need to be deleted or playlist the ones you like.)

Other soundtracks I like are from Ryuchi Sakimoto and Vengellis. Although thier soundtracks are numerous to mention, any album by either artist does the same trick.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    hmm...
    Brian Eno
    The Orb
    Vangelis
    Amon Tobin
    Tangerine Dream
    Miles Davis
    various contemporary ambient electronica
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I guess you forgot to read the note there Kevin
  • LAGtheNoggin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LAGtheNoggin polycounter lvl 17
    Chopin, Rigolleto, Il barbiere di Siviglia, anything Verdi, and Pulp are my main inspirations.

Although my old tutor told us not to use music when drawing or animating. Ever ;o;
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I have to say that Brian Enos Ambient No1 Music For Airports would fit the bill. I listen to it for hours each week.
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    for me its movies soundtracks (danny elfman, american beauty score for example), chillout mixes of classic music like mozart, chopin etc but also rammstein, system etc.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Vangelis is a good one already mentioned. 'China' is a great album of his, 'Himalaya' is a fine track off that, my favorite. It would be great if he remixed that to 5.1 or 7.1 audio. Rachmaninov can always get the juices flowing for me. Tchaikovsky, sometimes.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Tchaikovsky a lot for me. Try Swan Lake and the 1812 by him if you want to try.

Other various Classical. Bond, and Medieval Baebes are both great for this.

Also Light of Day, Day of Darkness by Green Carnation. (They're metal, and all of their stuff is very atmospheric, however I found that this album is excellent to work to. Though as a warning, the album is only one song, and that one song is 60 minutes).

Anyways, lots of stuff I'm going to check out in here.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    Air
    - Talkie Walkie ("Alone in Kyoto" is a nice track)
    - Virgin Suicides
    Army of Darkness OST
    Vangelis
    - Blade Runner OST
    - The City

Edit: Ryuichi Sakamoto too as Hawken has already mentioned