Home Technical Talk

From 3D program to game engine - Step by Step

jusinamanzer
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
jusinamanzer polycounter lvl 17
Hi

for all the pros or know how to convert your models particles mocaps and the like from 3d program to game engine can someone provide a step by step guide on how to go about it?

pls include the 3d program, converters, game engines and file formats used in the process

Replies

• JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    oh and I forgot: could you also write down the theory of 'quantum dynamics' in 3 short sentances? Hmmm Please?
    Of course in all the different versions for different hypothetical multiverseses laugh.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Can you show me the decrement function of the Collatz conjecture?
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    Will we be graded on a bell curve for this assignment?
  • jec1183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jec1183 polycounter lvl 18
    Dude you are asking for 100lbs of shit in a 1lb bag. You could just make this a lot easier on yourself and everyone else if you give us a few key answers first.

1) What program do you use?
    2) What engine will you be working with?

It really won't matter that much if you are using Max and people are answering with notations about Lightwave. The same goes for if you are using Unreal vs. Hammer.
  • jusinamanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jusinamanzer polycounter lvl 17
    This is such a simple question and people look at it as a hard one. i am a noob and i just want a quick overview on the process of translating 3d models into a game engine. most people i am sure some have a preferred game engine to work on and 3d programs. i simply want to ask how the process works. to sad though some people like to thrash this thread.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    jusinamanzer: your self acclaimed 'noobness' is starkly apparent I'm afraid. What you asked is an infinitely long way away from a simple question. You've no idea how absurdly complex your question is do you?

You are asking for an explanation of the entire pipeline for exporting models, keyframe data, motion capture data, particle animation and 'the like' from a 3D program to a game engine? Each of those processes in itself is a highly technical, complex multi-step process. Seriously, you are asking for the moon on a stick. There are many, many thousands of video game developers in this world. Pretty much every one uses an entirely different process and tools and technology from each other to export models and animation.

My goodwilled advice to you is to think about that for a moment, realise what you've asked for, feel humbled, and perhaps just a little bit silly.

Explain WHAT GAME ENGINE YOU ARE WORKING WITH, what 3D app. you are using, scale back the scope of the question, and you might get some better quality responses. People help each other out around here for sure, but do not expect help without first supplying some simple information.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    www.3d buzz.com is a great start. Download the videos and then do what they say. In a few months when you are done post your progress. Have fun.

Alex

So far the easiest game to mod I have found has been quake 3. The other 3d engine I do work for is Ogre. The process is more or less the same for me.

Modeling:

1. get reference and prep it.
    2. make cube and make it match reference.
    3. unwrap model
    4. texture
    5. export

Alex
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    You basically want everyone to tell you how to make a game. You'll need to do research just like everyone else here has had to do in the past.

What you're asking for would be a book... and to be honest, if I were to write something like that, I'd probably want to be paid for it wink.gif

You should start by modding a game. Pick a game that has physics like you want for your game idea. If you want a first person shooter, then use Unreal Tournament or Half Life. They both have plenty of tools to modify the game, and they are free (the tools that is).

Mod a game first... it's free (other than the price of the game), and there are plenty of tutorials for every game out there and how to modify it (if it's modible). There's usually plenty of community support for each game also.

So start there. Once you get the hang of modding, you'll understand better how to transition into making a full game.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    yea, heres a step by step guide.

1. make model

2. texutre model.

3. rig model

4. animate lots of animations for model

5. Use exporter to make files that game engine uses

6. Write a file that will tell game engine what files to use.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    This is such a simple question and people look at it as a hard one. i am a noob and i just want a quick overview on the process of translating 3d models into a game engine. most people i am sure some have a preferred game engine to work on and 3d programs. i simply want to ask how the process works. to sad though some people like to thrash this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You must know that there is not one 3d program, there are dozens. And not even two of them work the same. There are also literally hundreds of game engines - and again, none of those work exactly the same way. To make things even more complicated, many game engines have importers/exporters/convertors for many 2d/3d formats. The possibilities are endless.

You just asked us to explain the meaning of the universe in one sentence. Please don't be upset if all you get as an answer is 42.
  • jec1183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jec1183 polycounter lvl 18
    Like I said before. All we need are two or three simple answers from you.

1) What 3d program are you using?
    2) What engine are you using?
    3) What kind of art, character, environmental, prop, etc.?

You give us answers to those 3 simple questions and someone can answer you in a few seconds.

For all we know, you could be using Wings3d with the engine Realm Crafter. Or maybe its Blender with Kaneva. Wait I know it must be XSI with Hammer. There are endless pairings that you can use and we can't read your mind.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I've been trying to write that book for a year. 60 pages in and i'm just scraping the surface.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Just do it for the unreal3 engine.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    If you can find the old Half-Life 1 SDK, it has a book-length Word file that basically lays out all the steps you need to do HL mods, going from the MAX biped to the final SMDs. I found it to surprisingly complete, and written to the mod audience. It's outdated, yes, but it contains all the important details.