Home General Discussion

Silent Hill

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
Very much looking forward to this one. I can't wait to see one of my all time favorite franchises realized in full glory or go down in an incredible blaze of B-movie hilarity.

Anyone else going tonight?

Replies

• Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    A bunch of us at Mythic are going to go see it in aboot an hour.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    hopefully, i'll see it this weekend smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    A few of us from Threewave are seeing it tomorrow!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    seeing it tonight. Kinda worried about what some of the reviews are saying, and I've been told that youre probably gonna be confused if youre not familiar with the games.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I'm seeing it tomorrow. Gamespy had an interview that said that if stuck very close to the games. Which would be awesome. So long as it's not so close I dunno what's happening. (Never played the games... yet) frown.gif
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    wow

[/ QUOTE ]
    Good wow or of the other variety?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    yea, this bodes well... 20% on rottentomatoes..

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/silent_hill/
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i liked it a lot.. everyone i saw it with liked it as well.. best game movie i've seen by far.. and a good movie in general.. not overly deep or meaningfull,, but rather creepy and spooky and shocking
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    yea, this bodes well... 20% on rottentomatoes..

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/silent_hill/

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like most of the reviews that come off as being bad, are actually coming off good to me. I've never played the game, but I watched a dvd that had a compilation of videos and cutscenes from the series, and I had no real issues getting into a state of accepting what was going on, even if it didn't make any sense.

Wy wife is trying to block out all the imagery from her mind now. smile.gif
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    I havn't played the game either and I enjoyed the movie a lot, but it definatly isn't for everyone. There were only 10 or so people in our theater.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    So I got to the theater pretty early, and I'm watching a handful of moms walk in with kids. Some of them didn't even look preschool age. I'm thinking, "they have no clue what they're getting into." Those kids, if they made it through, are going to have nightmares for a long time...

Anyways, I liked it. It's a great homage to the games. The monsters were great and the sound was faithful to the games. There's a lot of stuff that people who haven't played the games wont understand, like the radio static, overbearing fog, etc. Oh, and there's some great useage of the ol' metal pipe...
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    "Wy wife is trying to block out all the imagery from her mind now."

Yeah me and my girlfriend too... i feel bad for the kids i heard in the back, because i know that those images will be with them for the next month at least. I loved it, and am very disturbed by it but loved it... now i just have to find something to wash it away with...just hope watching shrek will do the job....
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow...

I'm a fan of the games, and this made me very happy.

This is the kind of movie you get when you pay attention to your source material. smile.gif
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    I'll have to see this. Somehow I actually liked the Doom movie. I'm the 'low expectations' audience that so many movie producers are targeting these days.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    I liked the film allot. Visually it was very rich, and I liked the interwoven game elements. Character motivations did feel weak.. but I can over look it.
    I think they captured the Silent Hill experience well. smile.gif
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Horrible acting, writing, and no character motivation whatsoever.

But I still enjoyed the visuals immensely. That was all FAR gorier than I could have ever imagined it to be. Even with all the bad acting, the movie was a fun ride until about the last third or so. I was suprised by how closely the filmmakers stuck to the source material, almost detrimentally so. All the WTF moments from the game were in there.

*(Itsy bitsy spoiler?) Was the directions 'memorized' in the hospital the Konami code?*
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think the acting was decent for the most part, with a few places where it was rather bad, but what really sucked was a lot of the writing.

HOWEVER, the visuals kicked ass. Great direction and cinematography.

I really enjoyed the movie and had a lot of fun. Discussed it with my friends for a while afterwards too.

Now heres a thing that I can't get out of my head, how awesome would that movie have been, if the main character was actually... Jackie Chan. Just imagine him in all the scenes. I woud pay a lot of money for such a movie...
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Or Chuck Norris?
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I saw this last night..I must say it would have been ten times better if they would have cut all the dialogue out of the movie...cut the first ten minutes...cut out all the bits with the Husband and detective....Wasnt the biker cop chick the same lady who played blood raine?
    ON the positive side the visuals were cool as all get out, but I wish I would have waited to see this at the bargain saver
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    It has the radio static from the games even? nice
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah hollo in the games you are in fog where you can only see a few feet away (some parts) and when your radio starts acting up, you know a monster is near.. so you get all in supsense knowing its there, but you cna't see it.. much better scare tactic than say.. doom3s "BOOOO I"M A MONSTER BEHIND A SECRET WALL!" no the directions were not the konami code, i thought so while watching,, but it was only lefts and rights,, no ups and downs.

i have only 2 complaints about the movie

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERSSPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERSSPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

i liked all the visual effects shots, even tho a lot was pretty obviously cg, it never took me out of the movie. the only effect to take me out was one or the practicle effects, when the cop was on the ladder being lowered, they cut from a closeup front of her squiring mand fighting to get free, to an above shot of what was obviously a dummy tied up because it was not moving one bit, then instantly back to a close up of her squirming again. just anoyed me.. but if thats the only complaint i can find about the visuals.. then it must be pretty good

2nd is not so much a complaint, but a wish... i wish pyramid head woulda showed up at the last massacare and killed more.. he was so crazy awesomee, and we see so little of him. and he didnt rape anything!

also woulda liked to see it shorter it was awesome but theres a lot that oculdda been cut to make it seem less drawn out if it was a bit shorter i would probably see it at least once more in theaters
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, Rhino, I know all about the games' radio, fog, and convoluted stories and puzzles. I played through the first game quite a few times and I've played through some of the 3rd. I should be seeing the movie tomorrow.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh sorry,, i misunderstoond your comment, i seemed to have thought you had seen th movie but not the game, and was asking if the static was from the games not the other way around.. or something.. maybe i was drunk
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    ok first half was pretty good, the second she opens the door in the basement of the hospital the movies goes DOWNHILL fast. Very boring after that. Needs more Pyramid Head
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    does it go SILENTLY DOWNHILL ??? ^_^

probably going to catch it tonight out of curiosity.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    Exactly, the movie was going pretty well until it completely unravels at the basement part and ends with a huge SUPRIZE FAGS, YOU THOUGHT YOU GET IT BUT YOU DON'T AND NEVER WILL ending.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was shit, but still entertaining. I didnt feel riped off or anything. But thats only because i had low expectations. I never really played the games so i dont have the "cool because it was like the game" factor at all. As far as a movie goes it was pretty horrible lol.
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    Two words.... FUCKING HORRIBLE.

The only good thing about the movie was that dude with that metal thing on his head and the huge freaking sword... that was AWESOME. They should make a whole movie about that guy.

The movie itself sucked badly. During the scene towards the end with the barbwire I just couldn't stop laughing anymore.....so bad
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i came out with the same kind of "in the know" feeling as i did with Sin City, like there was a big joke that most of the people weren't in on.

but unlike Sin City, which is probably still pretty awesome to people who don't appreciate how insanely close to the comics it is, i don't know if Silent Hill really works on its own, apart from the game. the visuals are A+, the sound design and music B+, plotting C (first movie i've seen in a while where i wanted to have much less plot/explaining), acting B- to D.

personally i thought the ending was perhaps the most Silent Hill touch of them all... it's really the last 1/3 apart from the ending that doesn't work so well. the whole bit with the "congregation," basically. could use more mystery, less explaining..

overall one of the strongest videogame adaptations (damned by faint praise, i know) that works better than it ought to on the strengths of its atmospherics and visuals.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Regardless of how poor some parts of the movie were, I felt it was money well spent just for a few of those really masterfully done scenes like when Rose encounters the monsters for the first time. That was a GREAT scene. I loved how they revealed the legs of the baby monster creeping up behind her.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw it, loved it. Ah that was fun. I was geeking through the whole thing up until she got to Alyssa. Then it stopped being quite as good. Yeah the acting wasn't so great but then again neither was the acting in the games. The games relied more on the creepiness of the visuals and sound rather than the plot and characters. It was definitely Silent Hill. Man now I need to play the all the sequels.

Was Pyramidhead from SH 2? I don't remember him from the first one. And I agree, I really wanted to see more of him.

/me installs SH 3 again.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah he was only in sh2, they put him in the movie cause he was by far the most awesome monster
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I enjoyed it. Tend to agree that the first half was much more succesful than the latter. I didn't think it was that disturbing tbh. There was some dark imagery for sure. Pyramid head stands out. But none of it really stayed with me, which leaves me feeling it was all fairly superficial in terms of its impact on me. It's not stuff Im gonna have nightmares over or anything. Unlike a movie like 'Eraserhead' for instance that had a profound effect on me.
    As an aside, Sean Bean seriously needs to work on his American accent If he wants more major roles. He sounded like an English west country farmer most of the time.
  • Zatoichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zatoichi polycounter lvl 18
    3rd act wasn't the best, but all in all I think it was one of the best, most expensive Fan film ever made. A testament to Gans and making many of the hard core fans happy. Can't say the same about Resident Evil or AvP.

Oh, and I'm glad I saw it at a 21+ showing. No kids to ruin the mood and had 2 martinis while watching. wink.gif
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I thought it was awesome. Pyramid Head was so freakin' awesome. The flesh-ripping was wonderful. laugh.gif My girlfriend was cowering under her coat most of the movie. Hehe.

SPOLIER SPOILER SPOILERSPOLIER SPOILER SPOILERSPOLIER SPOILER SPOILER

Ok, So I get it... at the end of the movie, they were dead and the whole thing was this alternate purgatory plane. I guess they died in the crash.

But what I don't understand is the cop guy. When it showed him 30 years earlier trying to save the girl, he burned his hands. He didn't age one bit. Anybody care to explain something that I might have missed?
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Ditto everyone's comments. While it certainly wasn't a "good" movie, I still enjoyed it. The entire first half I was so in love with it. They even had a few shot-for-shot recreations like the overhead in the corner of the alleyway shot that I totally flipped for. The street names were all familiar and the town's locations were all spot on. When they got to the alleyway with the garages I was giddy with laughter since it was identical to the game. And the soundtrack was amazing (Hell, I've had the soundtrack since SH3 and listen to a few of the songs on a regular basis). Unfortunately the whole thing fell off the track once they started injecting the "story" into it halfway through. There were also some amazing leaps in logic thrown in here and there which had me and my friend just bewildered.

I liked it. Definately the most true to the origin game-to-film adaptation yet. But even so, I still can't help but feel that games just shouldn't be made into films. They just don't work the same way from a narrative perspective, no matter how good it turns out.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Nicely put, Luxury. I agree about that corner-camera shot. I thought those little things were awesome.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Well, very much like the game. I thought the last third of the 1st game was total dog shit story-wise, and I'll glad they replaced it with what they put in.

You would think that someone would have taken the approach of adapting a game into a movie like this long before. The locations and many of the key scenes were right out of the game. A lot of the music was from the game. A lot of characters, and even wardrobe was from the games. All and all, I felt that here was finally a movie of a game made where the material was given some respect by the film creator.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    If I like something you know it's worth seeing. Loved it. Even the end. Everyone was saying it was gory though, i hardly thought it was gory. Nothing really explicitly gross. The music was great, the visuals were out standing, but the acting was a mixed bag.

I also am a bit confused about the ending.

*SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER*

when her husband is looking for her, it makes you think that 'when the darkness comes' is what is seperating them. Were they both really dead the whole time? That kinda.. wierd. If they were dead from the start why bother with anything, and why would they be in purgatory if they were good souls?

*SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER*