Home General Discussion

Dell buys Alienware?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
Apparently, it wasn't just a rumor. frown.gif

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,125190,00.asp

On the plus side, it looks like they're going to keep Alienware a seperate entity still. Dell just gets it's profits smile.gif

Replies

• flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I dont see how this is a bad thing... never met an alienware laptop owner who was happy with what they got, especially for what they paid; every dell laptop owner I've met, and the two I've owned (and the numerous ones that were under my domain as a network admin) were an absolute dream to work with.

I know of a few people with alienware comps, and they feel like all they paid for was a crapload of formed plastic for the cases, and not much else.
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    can you name something specificly wrong with the alienware laptops? (as it may decide which brand im getting)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Err, yes please inform me as well smile.gif
    I own 3 Alienware systems - 2 PCs and a laptop. All three are damn good. My laptop m-7700 is amazing - plays any 3d game I throw at it. Also does extremely well with 3dMax and Photoshop.

I've had more issues with Dell systems than Alienware, that's for damn sure. Alienware might cost more money, but you get what you pay for. I don't have problems with it.

My friend built an identical PC himself, to the Alienware I bought last time (about 2 years ago). His PC didn't perform 1/2 as good as my Alienware, even though it had all the same stuff. Alienware does a lot of hardware/software tweaking to really pull all of the performance out of the system.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I've had to repair like 500 dells, and yet I've only once seen an Alienware computer come in to be repaired. If you're really going for top of the line junk though, go with a Voodoo Omen smile.gifhttp://www.voodoopc.com/showRoom.aspx?categoryID=1
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well, I've had to repair like 500 dells, and yet I've only once seen an Alienware computer come in to be repaired.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think that might be due to the ubiquitous nature of the Dell brand? I don't have any statistics, but I believe Dell has a MUCH larger market share than Alienware, so naturally if more people own Dells more people are going to bring in Dells. Just like an auto-body shop is going to see thousands of Honda Civics for every Ferrari.

I've never understood the appeal of buying a pre-built desktop system myself. I guess it's because I'm a frugal person, but I'd rather keep that 20-30% premium for myself, or reinvest it in faster hardware.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

I've never understood the appeal of buying a pre-built desktop system myself. I guess it's because I'm a frugal person, but I'd rather keep that 20-30% premium for myself, or reinvest it in faster hardware.

[/ QUOTE ]

I 2nd that.

As for dell buying Alienware, it could go either way its too early to tell. Every company that buys out another one says "they won't change anything (yet). They say this to stablize things and give themselves time to get inside the company, check it out, lay a ton of people off and rape the brand names they think they can make money on.

I'm sure Dell understands (a wee bit too late) that PC gamers did and still kind of do, make up a large chunk of of the PC buying crowd. The only thing that is keeping them from selling POWER RIGS to all the 1337 gamers is that in the past they have duped said gamers with horrible video cards. Those gamers learned the hard way how to upgrade thier $500 "Multimedia Dell", then started building thier own. The 5% that don't want to learn, would shell out the insane cash alienware charges or have a buddy do it. 95% of the calls I took at atari where teaching people the hard knocks of buying a cheap PC and trying to play games.

Mind you if someone is looking to buy a computer and doesn't want to invest the time researching and building I tell them to buy Dell. Its the only pre-made computer company I half way trust.

In my book alienware is only worth it IF you buy a laptop. The desktop you can build for less, hell you can even scrounge up a similar case.
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    or you can search ebay for a case... I still havn't heard much wrong with the laptops other than an excessivly vague statement.