Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    A sure sign that we are in the "end days"
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    From the resident nay-sayer XD

I'm going to have to point out that it's been in development since 1997, and all they have to show for it currently is a few test levels and vehicles?

The publisher payments are interesting though, they get a bonus if they finish it this year. *Crosses fingers*
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    heck, Prey was announced around 95
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    heck, Prey was announced around 95

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes, but Prey was officially dumped.
    All comments they've given about DNF were either "No comment." or "It's nearly done." no matter the date.

Maybe I'll live long enough to see the first human set foot on mars. I'm not sure if I'll ever see DNF hitting the shelves though.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I don't get it. Why not dump the game (knowing it'll be 10 years in the making and release as the worst PC game ever), or hand it to a studio that can finish it? Judging from progress...ANYONE could make a better effort.

If I'm missing something here, please explain.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    my guess is some sort of contract that the publisher cant get out of and that the studio will make decent money when they finish even if the sales are terrible.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I remain hopeful, surely the fact they havent canned it means there must be something of merit in there.. Or maybe they are they just flinging good money after bad.

It must be bloody hard whatever the status to keep up with 10 years worth of technology evolution. I can't begin to imagine the nightmare of continually updating resources and tech while actually trying to make progress.
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    that video they released in 2001 (i think) looked very promising. I am sure it will be fun and humerous to play, but surely it won't be on any top 10 lists in the future
  • Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Headley polycounter lvl 18
    Half life 2 really set the bar. I don't know if DNF is going to have the visual chops to compete at this point.

The demo they released DID look great tho and im sure 3drealms has a lot of talented people.

I think the main reason it hasn't been dropped is cause its Duke... its not some random IP. Duke nukem is an Icon of computer gaming.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I think the team works in a altered reality where time stands still. The impression I got is that they wanted to keep upping the game to compete with the latest and greatest FPS games, when/if it is finally released I'm betting it will be either the next Half Life, or the next Daikatana.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Bah anyway, like they said, now its been on the road for far to long, so no matther how it look like, play like and SMelll like, People will critic like mad. With that much time in dev what chooo except.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    ahh
    [ QUOTE ]
    Technology-wise, Duke Nukem Forever originally started development on the Quake II engine, before switching to Unreal, and, according to a Wikipedia entry, is now working with a heavily modified custom engine that includes some small elements from earlier iterations of Unreal Engine

[/ QUOTE ]

Too much time re-engineering engines could be the culpret.