Home Technical Talk

3D Ecroche

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
Has anyone here ever attempted such a feat? Im wondering what the task would involve. Or more, how?

Skin inwards? How did they do Hollow Man? Im not looking for that complexity given these are commercial programs without super plugins. Internal organs wouldnt be needed. Just skeleton, muscle/fiber, then the skin/fat.

Would this give an art director a boner? Or more "Umm, a medical illustrator? That level of knowledge isnt needed." *goes back to modeling Mario. laugh.gif

Just something Im mulling. I would though be interested if anyone has done something like this. (Oh and did your computer choke on the polycount?)

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sure I've seen 3d models where the skeleton was modelled, then the muscles, then the mesh over the top.

Personally I wouldn't bother, it'd take bloody ages to do, and all it'd show is that you know anatomy very well, which a good highpoly human model should be able to show anyway.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    I have considered it, purely to learn anatomy.
    And it might be useable in very high end animation where you want to simulate all the muscles and stuff.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    If you're doing it just to learn anatomy, you might aswell do it in ZB. Probably be much easier than modelling every muscle from a box or whatever. anguyen did a ecroche head in ZB ( http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=026463 ) a while ago for example.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Has anyone here ever attempted such a feat? Im wondering what the task would involve. Or more, how?

Skin inwards? How did they do Hollow Man? Im not looking for that complexity given these are commercial programs without super plugins. Internal organs wouldnt be needed. Just skeleton, muscle/fiber, then the skin/fat.

Would this give an art director a boner? Or more "Umm, a medical illustrator? That level of knowledge isnt needed." *goes back to modeling Mario. laugh.gif

Just something Im mulling. I would though be interested if anyone has done something like this. (Oh and did your computer choke on the polycount?)

[/ QUOTE ]

It'd probably just be easier to scan it in with an MRI or echo/sonogram machine, then build it from there than try and do it all yourself from scratch. But then this of course would require a person, an MRI or sonographic machine, and the machine to compute and create the 3D model. But so far I've only seen 3D models of hearts, and the circulatory system, but that could be because I'm just a file-clerk in a cardiologists office...however if I take the Medical Imaging class next semester at NYU I might find out more confused.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, just scanning in a 3d model of musculature or anything wouldn't really help your learning or show your knowledge of anatomy ... that'd be like scanning a photo of a bodybuilder and using it to demonstrate your anatomy knowledge.

That ZBrush ecorche is very nifty ... doing something like that, as Jaco said, would really be best in Zbrush, just make a base mesh then zbrush out the muscles and superficial bone structure.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for that link. Does he have a actual skeleton underneath though? Can zbrush "conform" one shape around another? Like say I built the skeleton. Then make the basic muscluature in max, come back to zbrush to really fine toon it. Could I keep the tendon areas conforming to that skeletal attachement area?

Yea, its a teaching tool for me. I really want to know my anatomy well. Just knowing the surface doesnt really help with understanding whats going on below the surface to cause what the viewer is seeing. The very talented Clayburn Moore would never works with anyone (in example) unless they knew human anatomy.

I wanted to take a regular sculpture ecroche class recently, but because of schedule differences and mulah, I could never get it set up.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    No, that model doesn't have layers of muscle, tendon and bone. It's entirely 'relief'. It would be immensely difficult to pull off what you describe in Zbrush alone, simply because Zbrush isn't very good at dealing with many individual parts.
    I'd have to sit down and have a good think about how I'd build this, but off the top of my head I think I would probably make the bone and muscle and skin in seperate layers in maya, keep them fairly low res but have them all fit together as closely as possible, then export to Zbrush as one object and show and hide and refine from there. It's actually a huge undertaking! Probably about the most complex thing you could find yourself having to build.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If i would ever do it i would do it purely in polygons.
    The surface of the muscles etc. is not important, the mass is because well you cant see that the muscles are like fibers through the skin you can just see the bulk.
    And frankly i dont think it would take more time than modeling a "skin deep" body, might be even faster as you dont have to worry about the topology much.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    And frankly i dont think it would take more time than modeling a "skin deep" body

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah, sounds like Toomas is offering up a challenge! Maybe I've misunderstood what oxy is trying to achieve here, but If you don't think building a model with muscle, bone, tendons and the entire outer layer of skin all fitting together perfectly and anatomically accurately would be anything other than a MASSIVE project I would love to see you try! smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Heheh very true smile.gif

I agree that if you weren't worried about topology at all, you could probably rough a skeleton and the main muscle masses in, without too much trouble, but then refining for tendons and building the layers of fat and skin over the top of that would take a lot longer tongue.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    These models are great btw, had one at EA:
    http://www.freedom-of-teach.com/products/prod_category.php?sect=products&pid=cat_anatomy

If you could see it closeup you'd appreciate just how long it might take you to recreate digitally, and this thing doesn't even have a skin layer.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Oh yeah, those things are awesome, there were a few as prizes at the San Francisco CA.org workshop last year smile.gif
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was only thinking bones and muscle, you could cheat the skin on with cloth sim tho tongue.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its just a thought..

Im going to bug the sculptress again about the traditional ecroche. Then I wouldnt have to buy one of those laugh.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Just a note, it's
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I.. I dont know how to make those without searching character map.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    ALT-GR and E (works with any vowel)... do US keyboards have an ALT-GR key? It's the ALT key to the right of the spacebar here.

Anyway it was more the point that you're getting your "r" and "o" the wrong way round smile.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    do US keyboards have an ALT-GR key

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

ecoroche
    ecoroche.. ec o ro che
  • MoP
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dunno if you've seen this. Might give you some ideas.
    http://www.cdmedia-studio.com/anatomy_anim.html