Home General Discussion

laptop f*** up..really important...

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
Joao Sapiro sublime tool
ok guys im about to commit computicide , i formatted my laptop wich has an Ati graphic card, i cant remember the name but i know it was one designed specificaly for laptop.

io format it with the oem version of XP with SP2 , all good...the problem is it doesnt detect my graphic card...i run the ati catalyst...i instal the microsoft framkework required for its correct instaling and it gives me an error saying in portuguese : "error INF video driver not found" and like that i cant install nothing...

i had a similar problem before format where my computer got blue screens complaining of an ati dll but it was runable so...

i really dont know what to do more...i urgently need to make some work and this damn laptop isnt allowing me

please help !

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    You need that aftermarket driver.. whats it called.. (me goes searches)

EDIT: http://www.omegadrivers.net/

(unless your taling about a rage era card. In that case.. good luck!)
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    I say smash it in the most spectacular way possible.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Often ATI's "mobility" chipset things don't use the standard ATI drivers, often you have to get them from the manufacturer of the laptop, so whoever made the laptop, look on their site for drivers.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    the problem is..i have no idea who manufactured it , actually i bought this laptop ( prepare to laugh ) from my grandmother who actually worked her life in computer engineering, and is quite good, no pixel shading thou...runs ut 2004 semi fine...blarp...instaling the omega drivers currently....will edit post with furtther development.

laugh.gif
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    You should be able to use the official ATI Mobility Catalyst drivers. They have a utility to check if the driver would be compatible with your system: https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=19546 .
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ok i tried the omega drivers and so far so good, no blue screens, it runs smooth and good...now onto instaling codecs...3ds max and tools of the trade, then ill test 3ds max perfomance and see if when i install kotor 2 the laptop decides to give textures to the models rather than grey...

thanks everyone, really wink.gif saved my digital life !
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    omega drivers kill laptops, as they automatically overclock without giving you the option to have the card running at the manifacturers recommended speed.

stay well away, try to get your old drivers somehow before its too late.

I may have busted my $3000 hp zd7000 / gforce go 5 from such activities. I'll never know for sure but what I do know is that the thing overheated and killed its self 2 months ago and I have been looking for a way to get it repaired ever since.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    well...it was the only way i found to make it work laugh.gif now something funny ( in a dark way ) happened, of ALL the files that i transfered that could be corrupt , the only one that went corrupt was my .max model...the one that i was working on...fate has a sick sense of humour :P

oh well, back to trying to fix the bastard and ill see about that overclocking problems that you say hawken, ill find a way to turn that overclocking off !

thanks everyone !
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    Right click your ATi tray tools - Tools & Options/General options, then wind the overclocking down (I think).

or right click tray icon -Hardware/overclocking settings

Been running Omega drivers for a while, but my laptop sits on top of a cooler, so I have an extra two fans keeping things cool.
  • drakino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drakino polycounter lvl 18
    Use the DH Mod Tool here: http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/

This modifies the normal ATI drivers to install on Mobility cards. To use it, download the normal drivers from ATI, and try to install. You will get the same INF error. Then run the mod tool and click "Go Mobile!". This will then start the installer again, and this time it will finish.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    omega drivers kill laptops, as they automatically overclock without giving you the option to have the card running at the manifacturers recommended speed.

stay well away, try to get your old drivers somehow before its too late.

I may have busted my $3000 hp zd7000 / gforce go 5 from such activities. I'll never know for sure but what I do know is that the thing overheated and killed its self 2 months ago and I have been looking for a way to get it repaired ever since.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heat will not kill hardware or make it die faster.
    Higher voltage does (electrons move faster and cause more friction thus makeing chips wear out faster) so unless you volt moded it look for the cause elsewhere.
    Not to mention modern hardware has temp sensors that turn stuff off when they get overheated.

Heat usually causes artefacts like "the snow" and improperly shaded tris. But even after that the card works fine when its clocked back to where it can work properly.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    i'm a systems engineer.

heat will damage the card Toomas. it's made of metal, heat degrades the metals quality, and makes the circuit pathways warp, and the pcb warp, and the memory leads more volitile to static. even safe heat will reduce the intended lifespan. it can and will permanantly damage the card, regardless of what you say.