Home General Discussion

Perception vs. Final Product.. industry people

anonymous_artist
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
anonymous_artist polycounter lvl 17
i browse and post at these boards often enough to want to stay anonymous as people i work with may or may not lurk here. those with access to my ip address please keep my identity confidential.

i've been working where i work for awhile now and i'm seeing more and more of the atmosphere be perception rather than the final product. people who work late are actually looked at negatively by their superiors as oppose to positively for putting in more effort. if these employees are making up for lost time for slacking off at work thats one thing, then i agree they should be reviewed and evaluated accordingly. however, they're making things worse for those like myself who want to put in the extra time to either get further ahead of their tasks or to make the assignment that much better. also i prefer to put a comedy dvd on and listen to it rather than listen to music while i work - but i found out certain people are commenting on it negatively and don't put in any effort to look at my final product. and if i can be perfectly honest my final product lately has been the best work i've ever done out of all the companies i've worked for. i can assure mister superior that me listening to music is no less destracting than listening to a movie. perhaps next time i'll just let the movie play and minimize the screen, god forbid you actually come to check out the work i am doing!

so again, i'm wondering if this industry, or any industry, is moreso about perception of hardwork than actually DOING hardwork. the person who's working 9-5 is doing an 'ok' job, and someone like me who puts in extra effort to do a 'great' job but has that negative perception because of joe-slacker.

is it worth it to even be concerned about my work as much as i am while im there? perhaps i should worry more about making my personal work 'great' and just make the superiors happy because they can't wrap the idea of someone wanting to go above and beyond around their heads. thanks.

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    hrmmm, well, as far as watching a dvd is concerned, I can see why that might upset your boss. After all, you cant actually watch a dvd and work at the same time, while you can work and listen to music at once. So, if youre only listening to it, then make sure to minimize it off the screen while youre working.

As far as the rest, if your final product is good, I dont see what you have to worry about. Just try and blend in with everyone else and do what youre told smile.gif Thats usually the best strategy for pretty much any job. (unless youre trying to get promoted... but that doesnt seem to be much of a concern for game artists.)
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    You're not Tubboy are you?

Whatever, a couple of observations:

You're falling into the trap of office politics. Don't do it. Don't be concerned with stuff like 'how come x employee gets away with y, and I dont? etc, etc. It's a *very* slippery slope. Just worry about you, and your work and ethic, nobody elses.

I don't believe that people who work late are looked upon negatively by their employers. I know I personally did well out of bonuses etc because of putting in a lot of extra hours. That still doesn't mean that i think putting in extra hours is the right thing to do though. If you can at all help it, don't.

I've never understood how anyone can sit at work with a DVD on. I've seen it, and I think it's bs. You simply can't be commited to what you're doing and watch a movie at the same time.

Don't assume the entire industry is the same way everywhere based on one studio.
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Do you really care what others think? Do your bosses care? Do you REALLY work better by watching DVD's? Three questions. If the answers are No, No, and Yes, well I dont see a problem. With something like artistry, its the final product that counts, and if you are making better work than the others, thats all the bosses care about. The others in my opinion can just eat shit and die. (Sorry if that sounds harsh, its just Aussie slang for 'piss off'). Keep worring about yourself and if others bag you, piss in their bag.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I'm not in the game industry, so take my advice with a grain of salt, I work in the graphics department at a company, doing web art, dvd menus, flash presentations, so it's a similar work ethic. Just get your work done, and if you're getting it done extra well, then even if your work place is FUBAR, your pieces will plump up your portifolio enough to get you work elsewhere.

I can see how people can perceive that you're slacking by watching comedy movies, if you're just listening why wouldn't you minimize the screen??
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    Work the expected office hours. Put in extra time, if necessary, because you're so into a particular piece that you want to give it more time than the schedule allows, not because you need the exta time to meet schedule.

Seriously consider whether those movies you have in the background are actually helping you. In the book, Animator's Survival Kit, the first lesson is "UNPLUG." Essentially that means eliminate distractions, including listening to music while you work. Over the years, I found there were tasks I could do while working. I could write and listen to music, or paint and listen to books on tape. But I couldn't switch the tasks around. When I went to work on computer games, I found that both music AND books distracted me from the thought processes needed to do my work.

It may also be that your movies distract your co-workers ... either by sight or by sound. In that case, they are justified in complaining about you.

Dazz is right about the whole office politics things ... but you also can't entirely ignore it. All groups of people end up being political in some way, and your continued successs within the group can easily hinge on your ability to be successfull at both your craft skills and negotiating the political climate. I once worked a studio that put way too much emphasis on having your "face time" at the office coincide with that of the lead programmer who was also one of the owners (even though he wasn't my direct line supervisor) ... unfortunately, he liked to come in late and work very late hours ... something that didn't work well for people with families.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    so again, i'm wondering if this industry, or any industry, is moreso about perception of hardwork than actually DOING hardwork.

[/ QUOTE ]

This uis a human nature thing.

About the movie-thing. At Piranha Games my boss was all offended when i watched a movie while painting. i wasnt accually waicting at all, i was listening...but since my computer couldnt handle both i played it on the TV with headphones. It didn't matter that i put in more hours than I was paid for, it didn't matter that 'everyone' complimented me on my level textures...what mattered was 'everyone' thought I couldnt paint and listenen to shawshank redemption at the same time.

Now that I understand how important perception is...I don't do shit like that anymore. Though one of my art lead friends watches videos at his job all the time at his desk and they keep promoting him. He told me it 'depends on the culture'

-R
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Try audiobook, Its a change from Music. I do that from times to time, its great!
  • anonymous_artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comments everyone. i'll clarify again that i work late to put in the extra time, not to make up for lost time and that when i work 12+ hours, they're getting 12+ hours of work from me and not 8. i've stopped with having a dvd on while i work as its not worth the hassle, even though im positive listening to an mp3 is just as distracting.

id like to hear more comments on experiences had if anyone else can contribute. thank you.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    "i'll clarify again that i work late to put in the extra time"
    Why? If they don't appreciate it, is it really necessary? Aren't you already getting frustrated by how it's not positively affecting people's perceptions of you?

Do you think 10 years down the road you're going to look back and be glad that you spent all your time working 12 hour days?

Do you think the other people who work more reasonable hours appreciate you making them look bad? As soon as one person decides to spend all their time at work, everyone else has to do it if they want to keep up. Soon, 12 hours is the standard instead of being extra time, and the people who want to have lives outside of work suffer. Eventually, you end up with a situation like the one EA just went through, with workers tossing lawsuits around because they're forced to do all this overtime.

I think you should relax and get yourself out of the workplace at a reasonable hour. You're going to spend the majority of your life working, there's no need to dedicate the rest of your time to it as well. You're going to burn yourself out.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I can't even concentrate with music on, the dvd is a killer for me too. I used to sit beside a guy that insisted on watching movies all day, this completely blew my entire working day from distractions. As well, he tied up the tv that we used the dev kit on and he got angry when I wanted to export game data because he would have to change the channel from his favourite show! F that guy! He does most of his work at home due to the fact he can't commit to anything at the office. But to answer your question at my job if you watch tv shows all day reguardless of how much you produce it makes you look like a slacker.
  • anonymous_artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc, me working late isn't an every day thing. i'm not worried about 10 years, if i spent time worrying about stuff like that i'd never get any work done and have to work 24hrs! wink.gif good comments though.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    thanks for the comments everyone. i'll clarify again that i work late to put in the extra time, not to make up for lost time and that when i work 12

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop. The only thing you will accomplish is possibly annoy your co-workers who choose to only put in their required 8 hours and go home. Especially if you talk about all the hours you are putting in.

You are Tubboy, aren't you?
  • anonymous_artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no, fortunately.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i watch movies at work a lot, no one seems to care, i usualy only watch movies i have seen a dozein or more times, so its not something i sit and watch, its just stuff going off in background. untill a supervisor tells you to stop then theres really no problem
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Easiest way to avoid all that is to put in those extra hours at home, on your own PC.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Image does matter sometimes. I am convinced that by being the office slob and by not keeping my art director frequently updated on the progress of my projects I gained a poor reputation that targeted me for a lay-off when the hard times came. I won't be making those mistakes again.

I reccomend doing everything in your power to keep your employer's confidence in you as high as possible, for your own benefit. Once you have gained confidence as a dutiful employee, then your boss will notice your art more. (Sorry if that sounded like it hatched out of a fortune cookie).
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    be gratefull for what you have. you do what you enjoy for a living, get paid for it, can listen to music let alone movies on the clock, and extra hours are optional. i would put yourself into perspective of that.

given the freedoms you have, as a manager i would expect product as the trade off, not the mere perception of work. in a properly managed environment the managers know every bit of what you have accomplished and how fast. if you are still employed, i would'nt take things so personal. if you produce the work, and don't get fired for it you are fine. it's just drama. unless a supervisor says something, just do what makes you comfortable. don't make sacrifices for other employee's, lest the freedoms you have be stripped away for you, them, and future employees.

if your supervisors get used to you working extra hours, they will expect it from everyone. they may be getting worried about that. i'm salaried, so it's extra harsh to pull 60 hours and still rake in the same money as 40. If you are just working for the money, eh, dunno what your office policy is.

on the other hand (though i think your job is extremely cushy) if you are worried about the employment, i'm sure sacrificing the comedy dvd watching for job stability is a trade off you can handle. the short is that ultimately it's up to you, or your boss, not the water cooler llamas.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Easiest way to avoid all that is to put in those extra hours at home, on your own PC.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's the best solution. Nobody likes the guy that drags his cross in every day just so he can nail himself to it. Just do your work at home where you can crank up the Comedy Channel.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    make up for lost time and that when i work 12+ hours, they're getting 12+ hours of work from me and not 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it sounds like you really love what you are doing and you have no life.. wink.gif Just remember, "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy".

[ QUOTE ]

acc, me working late isn't an every day thing. i'm not worried about 10 years, if i spent time worrying about stuff like that i'd never get any work done and have to work 24hrs!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but then you are worrying about keeping ahead versus keeping current with your workload. So you really cant use that excuse. Relax.

Look at the IGDA writeup about overtime and comparisons to other idustries. It was shown that people after eight hours of work start dropping off efficiency. Your not doing you or your company any favors by putting in those extra hours trying to be "superman". You are just making your output that much less outstanding.

I once went to a talk where a supevisor from Pixar commented on a worker who wanted to work late to finish up a character he was involved with. He ordered the worker to go home. Not out of spite, but he realized the output he would get from the worker would be top notch the next day versus the possibility of something less with the after hours. (Something unrealistic game leads/managers/execs should take note of)

Go home. Get a hobby, girl/boy friend, whatever. Just allow yourself to experience the now. Again, you are worrying too much about the future. Enjoy the now.