Home General Discussion

I'm going to be a "DADDY"...

Hunter
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Hunter polycounter lvl 18
WHOOHOO.. I am finally going to be joining the ranks of many of you other Polycounters in bringing a young PCer into the world. My wife, Jessica (aka Blondefire) is about 10 weeks pregnant and so far the little "bean" is doing rather well. Although Jess is totally bedridden due to dehydration, and nausea and dizzyness (brought on by the usual first trimester sicknesses) and as of the last few weeks, shes been hooked up to an I.V. for fluids. Seems sort of morbid, but even through all the needles and I.V. bag changes (sometimes in the middle of the night, which totally destroys me especially when I have to work)) shes handling it like a trooper.

I didn't really mention it before, but in January we suffered a miscarraige after about 7-8 weeks, and it totally destroyed both uf us.. (although moreso she than I). It was a tough few weeks, but when everything was clear we basically had the green light to start trying again, and that we did. WHOHOO..

Anyway... somewhere around Oct 27 the little guy / girl will make their debut..

( Any advice, from some of the other parents, as what to expect in the future months ???)

Replies

• Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Expect lots of sleepless nights, loads of crying, many, many, many dirty diapers, lots of frustration, and the wonderful, amazing feeling of watching your child grow and learn. smile.gif

Congrats!
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Wooooooooooooooooooooooo! Go Hunter, you fertile bastard! =D

Good luck and be sure to learn to nap anywhere, anytime. =]
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    congrats smile.gif get as much sleep in as you can, now.

Cause when you're a parent waking up at 9am is considered "sleeping in".
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    Congratulations!! Sorry to hear about the miscarriage, but it sounds like everything is going pretty well this time. Good to hear the Mrs is hanging in there, hopefully she starts feeling better soon. Then maybe both of you can get some sleep cause you're sure gonna need it.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    october 27 is such a great day to be born tongue.gif

good luck to both you, wife and son/daughter!
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Congrats. You can expect everything to change smile.gif

Being a Dad takes a while to adapt to and intially its more work than rewards, but though the rewards are not as often, they are far higher than any you will have experienced prior to being a parent.

You may also find yourself reexperiencing or analyzing your own childhood and a lot of your memories of childhood and your understanding of who your parents are will become a LOT more clear.

First few months are just tough because you don't know what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong, but eventually that passes and you calm down a bit.

I would advise you both to try to enjoy things like sex in the afternoon, long dinners at restruants in relaxing quiet, sitting up late and lying in late the next day and so on before the wee one arrives wink.gif

Oh and best of luck to you both.

r.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats Hunter! Ror that little thing you wrote really made me look forward to having kids some day.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats and good luck smile.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i echo these generous sentiments, congrats and best of fortune with the little bean from here on out. smile.gif
  • KRakarth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KRakarth polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, prepare for a completely different life.
    I wish for nothing but the best for yourself and your wife. I hope all her medical problems disappear. Nothing you have ever done will really prepare you for the challenges of Fatherhood.

Well expect copious vomiting from your missus for the first trimester, but you already know about that. As the pregnancy continues the sickness will wear off. Second trimester is the most "fun". Make announcements, go shopping and really enjoy being expectant parents. Third trimester is less fun. Tiredness, sore backs and puffy ankles rule. Your wife may become tired easily and the stress will get to you.

Then they are born. Its the most wonderful fantastic moment in your life. I was present at the birth of all my children. The first one is the worst. Expect a labour of over 12 hours. But the feeling - well I just cant describe it.

Enjoy the children as babies - that first nappy is a Biatch (youll see what I mean soon enough). After that they vary in colour according to diet, formula milk means orange poo, breastmilk means green.

I could go on for hours but I wont. Its a journey of discovery you will never regret.

Oh and its true what they say. The first 18 years are the worst smile.gif
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats! I hope everything comes off without a hitch (yeah right like it ever does!)
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats Hunter!
  • Timex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timex polycounter lvl 18
  • TNSLB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNSLB polycounter lvl 18
    Holy momma (or dadda in this case!)!!!! Congrats SOOOO MUCH! Are you going to find out the gender ahead of time, or will I be limited to gender-neutral yarn colours for my knitting??

/E - edited for typos caused by excitement.
  • Hunter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter polycounter lvl 18
    Wow..thanks for all the great advice and good wishes.. So far so good, with weekly visits to the Doctors office Jess is starting to feel better, and eat and drink a bit more.. Perhaps in a few weeks she might be able to ditch the I.V. Oh, and my little collection of sonagram pictures are always a kick to look at..

TINS: As for learning the sex ahead of time, yeah we will probably opt for it since it would be easier in preparing a baby room, and not having to worry about getting lots of yellow or green clothing..

Sorry I havent gotten a chance to thank you all for the replies, but I thank you all and look forward to any more "advice" or even good stories, you may want to share..
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hunter: Congratulations, best of luck for the future!

Tins, knit with black wool. Goth babies are "in" these days.
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    Grats Hunter. Like has been said already, get ready for some sleep deprivation. Don't worry too much, kids are well worth it!
    Also according to my calculations our wives are in a race to see can deliver first LOL. My next one is due at about that time too I think.