Home General Discussion

realistic optimus prime

Keg
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Keg polycounter lvl 18
found this posted over at cgsociety's forums (aka cgtalk)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?threadid=336742

really well done. even the video and compositing was nicely done.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That's pretty impressive.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    That's so amazing. I love how the video looks like it was shot with a handycam.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sweetness!

I love it!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty awesome. Only thing I don't like is how his hands just sort of come out of no-where.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    f-ing amazing... I'm waiting for the movie to finish downloading now, but damn, what he has posted is NIOCE!

I hope the official movie looks this good smile.gif
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    Holy sheet. I'm getting all nostalgic-quivery now. That's awesome.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Pretty awesome. Only thing I don't like is how his hands just sort of come out of no-where.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that totally ruins the whole thing. They just grow out of the headlamps. Lame.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    gratuitous and intentional shakeycam (are we to suppose some random passerby busts out an 8mm camera here?), especially in CG is just getting out of control. other than that, and other than the aforementioned magic hang problem, it's really an inspired translation of the character.
  • KRakarth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KRakarth polycounter lvl 18
    I thought the shakeycam was a bit OTT and the "magic hands " did indeed spoil it considering the current generation of Transformers which have interiors etc. But very nice work overall. Very Impressive
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice compositing work. My biggest beef is that this is Ultra Magnus, not Prime.

I think the attempt to exactly mimmic the original toy took away from the whole thing a bit. Heck, on the toy the hands came out of nowhere, you had to stuff them in his chest compartment or risk loosing them. I think I'd rather see a transformation using the Masterpiece Prime toy as a template.

-- I dedicate this post to Rusty.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Really nice compositing work. My biggest beef is that this is Ultra Magnus, not Prime.

[/ QUOTE ]

This must be like the Polycount equivalent of Fark's "her knees are too sharp."

Badass model. I deduct 0 points for the growing hands as the design is accurate to the toy model rather than the cartoon, and even the toy designers had no idea where to put the things (they were detachable and most kids kept them in the cab when in vehicle form). Shaky cam is a little overdone, but not in that slightly nauseating Blair Witch way or even the 'who just punched whom?' Bourne Supremacy way; it's overused, but a good way to conceal some of the inevitable unrealism you're going to get in any hobby project.

Overall, four and a half thumbs up.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    if the shake was like that of someone holding a camera recording the transformation it would have been alot better.

ie. slight movement that's somewhat natural from holding a camera, none of this whild movements where they arn't needed