Home General Discussion

Q for the web site design savvy

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
flaagan polycounter lvl 18
How difficult would it be to set up a site like Gizmodo, where you can enter news items and categorize them, and viewers can add commentary? Are there any free 'design packages' that could easily allow for setting something like that up? Was talkin with some friends about setting one up so we could easily share interesting stuff amongst our group; also was considering setting one up for my family (extended) so it would be easier for everyone to keep in contact and share news.

Replies

• bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Well, from the looks of it (after some digging..) it would appear as though they are using the Moveable Type Blog software http://www.sixapart.com/movabletype/ That would possibly be a decent place to start your search for answers. I am pretty sure that is a built in feature, but I don't mess with blog stuff, soooo.

[NINJA] Upon further inspection, I didn't really answer any of your questions, since Moveable Type isn't free. Bummer. =P [/NINJA]
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I'm part of a wiki site set up by a friend and ex-colleague which sound like what you're after. With TikiWiki you can post articles, add comments to them, have a quick-fill shoutbox etc.

You just need to 'host' it yourself somewhere.

http://tikiwiki.org/
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Basically, you jsut want to be able to run your own blog? It's not that hard, depending on what sort of database capability your ISP provides. There are a number of free online journal software packages out there - MovableType, WordPress, TextPattern, etc. Google for something like "blog software review" and see what recommendations pop up.

Installation on these packages can range from being a breeze to being completely impossible. I wanted to run one a while back but my host only supports MySQL rather than MS SQL (or maybe it's vice versa) and I was basically ouyt of luck.

*edit*

To follow what Kub wrote, there is a flavor of MovableType that's free to personal users. It's a little bit limited in functionality, I think, but not in ways that most users would have a problem with. TypePad, it's called, I do believe.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome, thanks for the info guys! smile.gif
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    You may also want to look into PHP Nuke. It may have what you need.
  • KDR_11k