Home General Discussion

Help! Hardrive Options and Recovery Software

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
Long story short, my windows partition on my hardrive has gotten corrupted. The partition itself seems fine, but my back up Windows wants to reformat it even though it is NTFS. Partially luckily I keep all my programs and most files on other paritions. That and a "pure" copy of XP for emergencies (such as this).

This drive Im using is going bad.. or at least I think it is as its been acting funky.

Soo..

A: Whats a good solid hardrive under $100 thats a pure serial ATA? Fast, reliable, with a nice big cache. I would rather have a smaller MB per volume drive (IM fine right now with just 80 gigs), with more data integrety features than one with lots of space I would never use. I was looking at some Western Digitals? Maybe one from a company that still has(gasp), five year warranties.

I will be buying from Newegg.

Second

As per my problem, I really need to get into that windows or at least its registry. Things like my Steam licence are on it. So I would have to try reinstalling and updating from disks just to get that (not only that I think I forget my login information for it). That and my email data, resumes, and a project I was doing for tweak.

So anyone know of a free or shareware utility dos/linux (bootable)/xp based that can recover files/volumes on NTFS file systems? The ones I have been trying would charge near $100 to recover the information. While some of them charge even more to recover compressed data. Understand something like Norton wouldnt work, because Norton would have to be able to read the file system first.

Replies

• CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Were you running Windows 2000 by any chance?

i've had a huge corruption problem every time i hit 80% full total with that, xp doesnt seem to do it (superior ide driver?)

also hddhealth is very cool
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, this is all XP. Thanks for the link, but I need something for aafter the fact. Also need to order that new HD tonight.

I think part of the problem is the ide hardrvive I have been using with a serial adapter. I think the drivers et all have gotten "beyond" its recognition to deal with this. Like last week my HD disconnected and the system BS, and I had to turn off the computer and jiggle the adapter to get it to reconnect.

It would be safer from this point out just to have a real Sata, and use this ide for backup/photoshop swap.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Can Knoppix still read the data?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downloading now.. On last CD.. Argh need to install cd burning software..

When I have that all set what command prompt tools should I use in it?

It sounds like I might have a corrupted boot sector on that partition. Im trying a program called iRecover to see what it pulls up, but its been over a hour and still only 22% in! That and its still $50 to purchase if it even can repair it. frown.gif
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144701

This is like the HDD's i have.
    Its 250gb, fast (cant get much faster with SATA unless you buy Raptor), has 16megs cache and under $100 from newegg it seems.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found a Hitachi sata 80 gig for just under $50.. I read the reviews on it and its pretty darn fast, though just a little loud. (Supposedly native sata interface as well?) So thats ordered. Its a 8 meg, but I can deal with that since thats what I have now.

Now.. to my disk recovery... Help me Obi Won Polycount!

23% now...
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Data recovery software will cost you, end of story. Anything that actually works is worth money.
    I recommend Ontrack Data Advisor because I've seen it work many times.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well then Im screwed. I don't have that type of money. I guess Ive lost alot of information... As it is the program Im trying has been running constantly and is only 36% through checking.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most data recovery programs are $100 or less. Try testing the drive you think is going bad to see if it actually is. If it's just a logical problem then you can spend the money on the software instead of a new drive.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I cant justify $100. The drive may or may not be going bad. Either way as per above I bought a new one, and can now use this one as backup.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    If you really need the data then there are companies that specialize in data recovery. Ofcourse it will cost according to how screwed the hdd is.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can't justify $100 for data recovery but you can for a new HDD? Oh well bye bye data. Make sure to back up next time on your shiny new HDD.

It's funny - hard disk drives have been around what, 30 years now and people still don't back up.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didnt have the money.. I mean.. I spent less than $50 on the new hardrive (refurbished-thats how cheap Im being [gonna steal cheapy's namesake soon]). Something I need to have because I still can't tell what exactly was wrong with the original one (Bad drivers, worm, bad connection). And also, yes! So I can now have backup. And the reasons I waited soo long? Lets see and that would be because...oh yea! I don't have a income! :b

I could tell more IF I could gain access to that partition. I mean you do realize I am using that same hardrive right now? Its one partition thats being naughty.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey sledgy.. Im shallow. I admit it. But without spending a single dime, I was able to figure a solution. I got in through the emrgency recovery login via the XP CD and was able to run a dskchk command..

Didnt do it before because I didnt have a floppy and figured if a normal Windows wouldnt see it, why would the CD version?

So again, being shallow... tongue.giftongue.gif ..

I AM A GOD! Thats right biatches.. Remember whose yo' Pimp?