Home General Discussion

God of War 2 footage from GDC

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
Looks just as brutally violent and fun as the first game.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jEj5_vNBz0c
Video contains a fairly major spoiler for the ending of the first game.

Replies

• Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Decapitation and dismemberment are beautiful things.
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like great fun, kind of what I expected out of the later POPs
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    Thank God, Gaming Bliss!

Marcus Dublin
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    god I love the animations in that!
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Wish we'd get these games on the PC frown.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    (per Lupus)

We could always push for..
    Rune 2?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Wish we'd get these games in Germany frown.gif
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    just import it from the canyon-shitters. wink.gif

anyway i didn't find the first part all too outstanding. the control scheme felt overly complicated at times and basically this is just a nice 3d remake of some of the more memorable 2d platform games from the 16 bit homecomputer/console era. well done but nothing new and exciting to me. my interest ran out mid-game.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I think I'm the only one who doesn't like God of War at all.
    I'd rather play Devil May Cry, which has more visual flare (and is probably THE game that started the whole stylish 3d action sub-genre), or Onimusha.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I Love God of war... LOVE IT!! but In this months game informer there are a few close up screenshots of Kratos, and.. well you think they could update the model a bit. It looks like crap. actually all the character textures are quite muddy. But the environments and animations are tops.
  • War_Destroyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    War_Destroyer polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

I'd rather play Devil May Cry, which has more visual flare (and is probably THE game that started the whole stylish 3d action sub-genre), or Onimusha.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Quoted for agreement!! While I like God of war and it was a fun 6 hours, Devil May Cry 3 and Ninja Giaden Are excellent games that I feel aren't getting there due respect in the mainstream.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I'm waiting for the special edition to come out before grabbing DMC3, don't want to miss out on extra goodies by buying too early.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Ninja Gaiden was amazing, but simply too damn hard. There's absolutely no forgiveness in it's difficulty level.
    I got to a part that was making me struggle for months, so I just traded it in, instead.

I LOVE God of War, though. I think the puzzles are hard but manageable, the graphical look is amazing, and the combat is insanely fun. I really cannot wait until GoW2 comes out. Should be intense.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    well i played devil may cry 1. and ugh, well. i'm not into trash movies nor am i into trash games wink.gif presentation was rather awful. will check out ninja gaiden and onimusha instantly. never played those.

i think the god of war character models were actually pretty cool. nothing wrong with low-res. especially those two chicks in bed were nicely done. there's a portfolio out there showcasing many of those characters but i can't remember the artists name. louis....?
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    In this months game informer there are a few close up screenshots of Kratos, and.. well you think they could update the model a bit. It looks like crap. actually all the character textures are quite muddy. But the environments and animations are tops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it is coming out on PS2 so I'm not sure if they could do much more to improve that. Maybe when we get GoW 3 on the PS3 though crazy.gif
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    That was some great footage, nice and brutal. I finally picked up God of War this past weekend, I had been resisting because it didn't look that appealing to me, but all the game of the Year awards couldn't be totally wrong and it was $20 sooooo maybe I'll be excited for the sequel after giving this game the run-through.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    there's a portfolio out there showcasing many of those characters but i can't remember the artists name. louis....?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Those werent all in game models. Pluse I heard throught the grapevine that a Less-talented Senior artist claimed Dibs on the Kratos in-game model, over much more talented artists with less time at the studio.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    there's a portfolio out there showcasing many of those characters but i can't remember the artists name. louis....?

[/ QUOTE ]

CGchat Thread with his work.

His web address [www.ln3d.com] isn't working... might have changed it since then.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    ah thanks for the link, for me, his site worked. nice stuff and i think i saw his unreal2 assets pimped in this very board a long time ago.
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ninja Gaiden was amazing, but simply too damn hard. There's absolutely no forgiveness in it's difficulty level.
    I got to a part that was making me struggle for months, so I just traded it in, instead.

I LOVE God of War, though. I think the puzzles are hard but manageable, the graphical look is amazing, and the combat is insanely fun. I really cannot wait until GoW2 comes out. Should be intense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ninja gaiden was the shit! I've beaten normal ninja gaiden on very hard, and ninja gaiden black on hard (can't even get to the first save point in very hard on NG:B). It just doesn't hold your hand at all, but once you learn ryu's arsenal of moves you become a powerhouse of death and destruction. Yea I like ninja gaiden a lot.

I liked God of War too, I mean, how many games start you off commiting suicide. Looking forward to the sequel, I just hope they tone down all the crappy platforming.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    looks great, prefer gow over ngb, personally. ng was good, but the combat system was much too beat'em-uppy for my tastes.