Home Technical Talk

Q3 Q's?

tenRhook
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
tenRhook polycounter lvl 17
Hi..!

im been working on a game called Project Raven for quite some time now.. it was originally being developed using the torque engine.. we recently decided to port to Q3...

Basically i got some questions bout making models
Im a 3d max user

- Do i have to use biped? (no standard bones?)

- do i have to split the model up into upper, lower etc or can the mesh be one continuous mesh?

- What scale do i use in max?

- Do i have to re-orientate the pivot a specific direction?

that about the jist of it... answers are much apprieciated..

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    1. You do not have to use a biped. The default Quake3 engine uses vertex deformation only for it's models, so you can use whatever you like to rig them in 3dsmax, the bones or biped won't be exported, just the animated mesh.

2. Again in the default Q3 engine, you will have to split player models up into the upper/lower/head setup, although if you have a decent programmer on your project they should be able to alter that since Q3 is open source now.

3. I believe default Max units match default Q3 units, so if you build a 64x64x64 box in Radiant (the level editor), it'll be the same size as a 64x64x64 box in Max.

4. Not if you're using the pop'n'fresh MD3 exporter, since you can use a "tag_floor" to set the alignment of the model.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    just to add to 2. Some people liked to add the head to the upper mesh and have the head mesh tiny inside the body. This looks better but the character doesn't turn as the head should..
  • tenRhook
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "3. I believe default Max units match default Q3 units, so if you build a 64x64x64 box in Radiant (the level editor), it'll be the same size as a 64x64x64 box in Max."

so effectively 32 max units = 1 metre.. give or take..? (and yes i know its virtual units and everythings relative)

thx for the tips so far Mop and Thnom..
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Players are 56 units high in Q3A
  • tenRhook
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx kdr..

that would confirm my theory..
    56 units would make the characters 1.75 metres high or 5ft 9 inches approx..