Home Technical Talk

Four Armed Biped (max)?

Weiser_Cain
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
I wanted to create a biped with four biped-type arms, not just adding bones to the biped. How?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't think you can.

You might be able to make two bipeds and link one to the other, then just include the arms from one in your Skin, but you'll get some issues with the shoulders not staying in-sync.

Better to link some bones on.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, bones would work a lot better - why would you need to attach biped arms rather than use bones anyway?

You can set the bone's sizes to match biped very closely, you could even give them object colours to match the biped if you wanted.

Just link the Bone clavicles to the Biped spine, set the rotation method to Local when using the bones and you'll never even be able to tell the difference.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    unlike everyone else weiser, I too understand your forbidden love for biped. For people like us, normal bones simply can't satisfy us the way biped bones can. Unfortunately, yea, no four arms for you.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    aesir: what's the difference? FK and IK on the arm?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, you get FK and IK on everything and can select the bones themeselves to move with and you dont have to deal with setting up all the correct controllers and IK chains and what not. Not to mention that it has the built in forearm twist (if you want it) which is mildly annoying to create from scratch. Also, there are a lot of helpful character studio tools that you can only use with biped which save a good deal of time for me.

I've never found a rig thats as easy to animate as a biped...
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    "I've never found a rig thats as easy to animate as a biped... "

agreed. it's also quite fast in viewport playback as opposed to some of the more loaded rigs. the ability to lock limbs to objects or in world space is really handy, too. that's something i rarely find implemented in a convenient way in so called custom rigs.

the animation curves cstudio creates however... brrr. it's rather easy to get results with biped. but tweaking the interpolation to look good takes forever for me. i get a much cleaner animation in less time out of e.g. softimage. if only most rigs out there didn't suck so badly. wink.gif