Home Technical Talk

Rendering for both MAC & PC

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
I need a compressor that will allow me to play the movie off both operating systems.

I can not install codecs on the mac machines so keep that in mind when answering this post please. Unless you know a nifty way to bypass priveldge rights on a mac.

On another note on the same subject, what is the best compression tool to use to create small movie file sizes.

Thank you!

Replies

• Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    In what program? Go Quicktime with Sorenson or Sorenson 3 if you can.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea i did sorenson 3 my file comes out to 12mb which is not what i think of when i think of small.

I got a xvid mpeg4 codec render and it was about 1.3mb but i dont kno if mac can play videos with this codec.

It's difficult because i cant install codecs on the macs in my school. =/

The 1.3mb is a turnaround of my model in 640x480. I just need various turn arounds for each of my models.

turn arounds = 360° view

On a side note i see you live in ny.
    Can i ask where?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    How small is small? 12MB is tiny for a movie file.

How small depends on the number of frames and the fps -so what are you shooting for?
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    100 fps to render the turn around but i dont know if i can slow down the rate of the spin with a different amount of frames.

Thanx for the assist rick hope i can find a solution. I need a small demo reel by tomorrow.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    100fps?
    Are you sure you don't mean that there's 100 frames in the turnaround?

You can probably cut it down to 50 frames without really impacting anything, set the frame rate to like 15fps or something, so it'll take 3-4 seconds to spin around.

Also it's worth playing around with the compression quality, I got a 40-frame 360-degree turnaround at a nice visual quality down to about 1mb using Sorenson 3.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    100? Knock that down to 24-30 frames per second, with 8 -12 seconds for the spin.