Home General Discussion

chinese gold farmers

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
Ge Jin’s preview of his documentary on Chinese gold farmers.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ho5Yxe6UVv4

via terra nova

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for this. Nice to have an eye-witness view of it.

The entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    China has reacted by making a game that will hopefully drain away all the farmers from other games.

http://news3.xinhuanet.com/english/2006-03/16/content_4308138.htm
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The propaganda machine is alive and well!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice to see the faces of some of the jerkwads that dupe items, inflate prices (so you are almost forced to buy gold from them) and steal rare items from people. Oh yeah its all fun, games and smiles until you spend 3 hours getting to an item you need, only to have someone ninja said item and you later see it being sold for an insane price. Or better yet they camp and dominate certain areas making it impossible to finish quests.
    I also like it when the server lags because they are spamming everyone with personal messages "u buy gold now k, www.wowgold4u.com"

Yeah these guys are a hoot...
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I blame the people who use sites like wowgold4u.com more than I blame the Chinese gold farmers. It's the jerkwads that use those sites that generate the demand and are the ones actually ruining the game for those who want to play fair.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Nice to see the human side of things, but dont you think the viewpoint was one sided? That larger company they mentioned and the dorms and living almost brought thoughts of "company town" to my mind. Just how long does each employee have to sit to create enough gold to make a quota and cover living expenses and hopefully some savings (again the larger farming company)?
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Not being much of a MMORPG player, the first thing that popped in my head when I saw the thread title was a bunch of rural Chinese villagers plowing the ground, planting gold, and spreading fertilizer...
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    How badly are these groups affecting MMORPGs?
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i think this is kind of thing that made Gibson start writing novels based in the present day, instead of his own version of the future. because even the greatest science fiction writers can't come up with scenarios as bizarre as what reality presents us with--chinese gold farmers?

i mean go back in time and tell someone even just 20 years ago that developing nations would have people hired to play a game to farm from the virtual economy... the whole virtual --> real economy stuff just blows my mind.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    whole virtual --> real economy stuff just blows my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back to your covered wagon gauss. wink.gif
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    haha this is great
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for linking this, very informative!

I played WoW for about 9 months and never had these type of people effect my game play one bit. Never effected me in Everquest either, maybe I just got lucky or didn't notice it.

I understand where they are coming from, they are just trying to make a living.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    Agreed. They make grinding in Azshara pretty miserable, but otherwise I don't see the problem. They're not lagging the servers that much by spamming tells ... I'll disconnect myself by spamming too much debug script to myself, much less to other people, long before it has an effect on the server. As for ninjaing rare stuff ... shit, you don't need to be a farmer to do that. There are assholes from every walk of real life in WoW to ninja yo' shit.