Home General Discussion

PS3 Worldwide launch in November

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
According to our Ken and the press conferance today in Tokyo. Will also ship with a 60gb hard drive.

Eurogamer news

Will the launch be better handled than that of the xbox360 a year earlier?

Replies

• Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Later for the rest of the world, earlier for us. Sweet. I'm glad they had the balls to include a standard 60GB HDD, would've been a joke if there'd been 2 versions like the 360.

The thing is, in terms of who comes out of this on-top, its been 4/5months since the 360 launched and I'm still waiting for games I care about (hell, the system is still hard to find). The only one on my radar at the moment is GoW, if it continues this way Sony are gonna hand them their arse come Xmas (well, they'll outsell them anyway).

With a November launch, it means they'll dominate the holiday season regardless. Then the system selling games in 2007. I'd be surprised if we didn't see the likes of GT, MGS4, Killzone. Not least the biggest franchise they have/had - surely a new GTA will launch sometime in 2007?

I think they've timed this really well, presuming there's enough units (at least more than the 360) available it should be a more organised release than that of XBox 360. Launching in Winter stops the rushed feeling a Spring release would've had.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    my memory is a little hazy but wasn't the PS2 launch a rather dissapointing one with only few interesting release titles and a long delay until the topsellers a la mgs2, ffx came out?

seeing how strange the whole PS3 thing has been communicated so far, i bet their launch will be no more professional than microsofts attempt and the system price will be insane at first. but they have the big brand and all the successful japan companies are developing for the box so - sooner or later it will crush the xbox360 in sales and stomp it into the ground like the ps2 did with microsofts black and green monster.
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    Super - Still hard to find? Odd, there have been premium systems on the shelves for two weekends round my neck of the woods.

thomasp - Tekken Tag Tournament, a Ridge Racer and Fantavision, if memory serves.

No doubt it will domminate Christmas 2006, with stories of gamers lining up in the cold and parents whining that Christmas will be ruined for little Billy as Sony is evil and didn't make a unit specially for them. wink.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I heard you get a free boomerang with each unit
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Boomerang? I thought we got a 'lady toy'. Aww.

Jon, yeah, they are still hard to find round here - not specifically looked but everytime I've gone into a HMV, Game, etc. there's no premiums.

Apparently Ken said the price wouldn't be *less* than 50,000 yen ($425). Bets that it'll be $450-500/£400?

Ugh.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Thats WAY expensive. The thing is $450 = £257.

They'll sell it over here for nothing less than £350.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am really disillusioned with the PS3 and 360. Until I see games I want to play and acutally using the hardware (not ps2 or xbox ports shined up for launch) I don't think I will get one. microsoft seems to really like to push the fps genre but I don't like playing with a controller. The 360 controller is nice, but it's not a replacement for the keyboard/mouse.

I think I am sitting infront of my multi-meida gaming machine and I like what I see. Besides Max, photoshop, maya, and 90% of my favorite games won't run on a 360 or ps3.

I had a ps2, after it sat there mostly unused, I bought a gamecube (still have it but don't use it). I traded the ps2 in for an xbox, which mostly sat there unused. I then traded in the xbox for in store credit and enjoyed a bunch of used PC games. I'm not all the excited to by two more $500+ dust magnets until I know I am going to use em.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Will also ship with a 60gb hard drive.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you left out the coolest thing: Linux is preinstalled on that thing also (probably as a boot option not as the main OS).
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does your hard-on for Linux ever go away? hahaha
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    PS3:
    - GLOBAL RELEASE NOVEMBER 11th
    - 60GB HDD 2.5" with pre-installed Linux OS will be included
    - Dev kit specs fix as of today
    - Final PS3 development kits will be sent to developers in June
    - 10.000.000 BD-ROMS manufacturing capability per month @ cost around same as 2-layer DVD
    - Every PS3 game will be on a Blu Ray Disc, in an attempt to prevent piracy
    - Price will not be less than 50.000YEN (~$425USD)
    - PS3 will have HDMI support from launch
    - Sony plans to produce 1 million PS3s a month; 6 million PS3s for FY2006 (by the end of March 07)
    - basic" online service free, no details yet (could be XBLS for PS3)
    - Full backwards compatibility, hi-res and texture filtering for all titles (akin to what the Xbox 360 does to Halo)
    - The online service will be working off of GameSpy technology

PSP:
    - videophone in autumn
    - MinGol GPS
    - Eyetoy
    - Flash support with next update
    - Mem.Stick boot support in autumn
    - first-gen PS1 official emulator
    - buy/download games from net
    - 199 CORE PACK PSP being released in USA/Europe by end of March (March 22nd for Europe)
    - 19,800 yen Ceramic White PSP CORE PACK from 15 April in Japan
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm not all that excited to by two more $500 dust magnets until I know I am going to use em.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. I'm waiting to read the articles about all the suckers who camped out in front of the store for the release and got nothing. Just before Christmas, the month of consumer madness.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I'm gonna pre-order it so I can make a killing selling it on ebay
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Your preorder will be ignored unless you buy 400$ worth of accessories and games with it.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    AZ has the right idea! Personally I wouldn't get one until a year has passed, the prices have gone down and the glitches are ironed out.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    yep, fear the first generation of machines.
    depending on if my interest in games will increase again or stay at the current (basement) level, i might just buy one to get to play colossus and san andreas and other demanding ps2 stuff with decent framerates and texture filtering. i'll see.

the DRM crap right now is scary though. no way i'd get a new TV or hifi, whatever... looking forward to the workarounds.