Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New Portfolio Website

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
Had to come up with a new site in a hurry, and had a friend do the coding of my Photoshop concepts. Apparently I lost out on three jobs because I had no web site. So, this is why I have one now. Please take a look. Don't hit the Demo Reel too much as it will kill my bandwidth, but feelfree to poke around and comment.
http://www.rdwarf.com/users/edbado/DemoReel/ruggels.htm

Scott

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good overall, Scott. Your Illustrations section is strong. I think it's enough that you don't need the Life Drawing page. You could drop it, and take the best from both 3d pages into a single page if you wanted to tighten up your portfolio.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Good content Scott, but Im wondering If it couldnt afford to look a bit more professional. It feels a little hurriedly thrown together. Also, Im wondering If it's really necessary to split up your models based on what software package they were created in?
  • Nostradamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nostradamus polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good and straight to the point, but try with some more interestin colors and font smile.gif
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think it needs Prettification? I was told keep the navigation and the layout dead simple. I wouldn't even knowwhere to fancify, because my aesthetic decisions are crippled by a military outlook :-/. As to the separation in the models, That was another piece of advice, because HR people need proof that you CAN use each package. Toomany folks lying on Resume's is the reason, I'm told.

And yes, it was thrown together ina hurry 6 hours to be precise, as that was the window of opportunity I had for assistance, since I never learned HTML.

Scott
  • Corry Frydlewicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Corry Frydlewicz polycounter lvl 17
    Poop's site is pretty basic and still has some prettiness to it.

www.poopinmymouth.com

I think my site is to bright and cheery, but you can look at that too, even though the 3D content isn't as strong as it will be.

www.CorryArt.com
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is no way I can do that sort of work in less than a month. And puttig up a "News" page? Madness. Poop's site is fine, but a conventional website. Life Drawing apparentlyw as impotant to Lucas Arts, so it was put up. I could trim things down, but as to makig it a conventional "buttons on the side, text in the middle web page is unlikely.

Now I could make the thumbnails smaller, but for an artist, I do think pictures are more important than words when lookng at an artist'ssite. And I wanted to keep the navigation as flat as can be.

Scott
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Whoa. You're thinking of going to Lucas? I would put Lucas lower in the totem pole than EA. I'll give it to them for having a beautiful campus at the Presidio, but that's it. Uncompetitive pay with a ho-hum working environment.
    Think of it this way... if you're not a die hard Star Wars fanatic, don't even waste your time thinking about working there.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    To be honest Scott, when I saw this site, my first impression was "This is the site of an artist?"
    Your content is good, but the presentation really lets it down.
    I would also suggest presenting against something other than black or white. A more neutral color, or heck...50% grey.

I think its possible to have a fairly aesthetically pleasing site but keep it very simple.
  • Corry Frydlewicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Corry Frydlewicz polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    There is no way I can do that sort of work in less than a month

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't take that long to make some buttons and headers in PhotoShop. Just take your business card graphics and alter them to get most of it.

I did mine in like 12 hours.

It would really enhance your work I think.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, Well I'll take that intto consideration. Thanks.

Scott
  • KaosNKorruption
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KaosNKorruption polycounter lvl 18
    -Your website is a representation of you. You've got to make whoever is looking at it actually want to go further than the main page. (I, personally, would've been reluctant to continue on if it weren't for critiquing.)

-Take that rtf resume and that gif image of a letter of recommendation and pdf-erize them. I'm not sure if I would even include the letter of recommendation on the site. Better yet, create an html resume and also make the resume available for download as a pdf.

-Times New Roman is the ugliest font in the world.

-That header's all text, but it's an image? If it's text, make it text; if it's gonna have some graphical content make it an image. And it's also HUGE!

-Contact info is in the resume. Just an email address should suffice on the site itself.

-Make the thumbnails a uniform size, or height at the least.

-You could put all the 3d into one section. Each model should have a page of it's own with the model specs and what program was used to create it. If you're going to separate the models by program, do it in the 3d section. Maybe do the samne with your 2d (Illustration & life drawings)