Home General Discussion

Ultraviolet. please, I beg of you, stay FAR away!

seantree
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
seantree polycounter lvl 18
What a wretched piece of crap. I should have known before going in but had the wool pulled over my eyes by the premise of some decent action scenes. I mean Equilibrium was pretty good, how does one go from that to this? I wanted to rinse my eyes with bleach after seeing it. The CG was awful. Sure it would have stood up if there was a sense that they were attempting to achieve a certain look, but it was inconsistent to say the least. Wait until you see the smoke particles. The script seemed like a 10 year old wrote it and was just throwing things in that he thought would be cool. Dammit, I want the 90 minutes of my life back that this turd stole from me. So, I plead with you to stay away. do not throw your money away on this "film"

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    i wish people wouldn't make posts like this, it makes me want to go and see it just to witness how bad the movie is smile.gif
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    haha, it worked like that with one of my friends also. He saw it last night and cursed me afterward.
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    Think of it as a tongue-in-cheek tribute to the strong female heroines of The Matrix, Kill Bill, Aeon Flux, and Underworld with a dash of Equilibrium flavoring and then go and enjoy watching Milla Jovovich move around in a tight outfit. Don't pay full price and you'll have a great time.

Edit: On the other hand, it had the worst movie CGI I have seen in years.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I wanted to rinse my eyes with bleach after seeing it.

Yep, Bleach has pretty good fight scenes but their "noone ever dies, it's only a flesh wound" rule is annoying.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Is it worse than The Hills Have Eyes? It was so awful I tried to go to sleep, but it kept making loud noises, so it even ruined 40 winks.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    damnit, Rick.. I wanted to see the hills have eyes.. maybe I'll wait till next week for V. frown.gif
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    am i the only one here who thought ultraviolet was a comedy?

i had a blast- i was laughing through most of it!
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    It was horrible.

Worst movie I'd ever seen
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I dont understand how these film makers get budgets to make films.

-R
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    i had no intention of watching it :P
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    again, I must have been one of the few on the planet that looked at the previews and thought it was a joke.

I'd like to go back to the other thread and see who and who was excited for the movie.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Is it worse than The Hills Have Eyes? It was so awful I tried to go to sleep, but it kept making loud noises, so it even ruined 40 winks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you LIKE movies like that? I tend to find that people that don't enjoy those types of movies walkaway displeased. I really like Saw, Saw II, Hostel, etc... so I'd imagine I'd like this. AICN gave it a decent review aswell.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I was going to watch UV after work on the night it came out, but ended up being at work til late, so I missed my chance (didn't want to go to a midnight showing cause I had work in the morning). Ended up catching a few people on #md saying it sucked and was glad I missed it.... maybe a dvd release for some good cheese...
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    That movie racked in 3.6 mil so far and got an 8 on rottentomatoes.. weird..
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I knew it'd be crap
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you LIKE movies like that? I tend to find that people that don't enjoy those types of movies walkaway displeased. I really like Saw, Saw II, Hostel, etc... so I'd imagine I'd like this. AICN gave it a decent review aswell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup - I thought Devils Rejects was superb, and I liked Saw.

With THHE I wanted the entire cast to be butchered as quickly as possible.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Aeon Flux was terrible, but it's not worth me starting a new thread about
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Despite all the warning of this thread, I saw the movie anyway. I figure perhaps it was viewed the wrong way. Maybe it had the cheesy comic book feel. I saw Hoodwinked, and while I loved the story, I hated the animations. Then I read the intentions of the director, and felt a bit guilty. But there are studios that create weekly children's TV shows with better animation.

With Ultraviolet, I am very upset. This movie is #1...for unnecessary CG. Not only was it unnecessary, it was ass. In any shot where CG was used...the film suffered. The overused shots of the cities could have been left out of the movie, and it would have been an improvement. I felt like I was watching a game cinematic half the time, designed by an intern.

Sometimes I can understand when a studio is on a low budget with little time. But in this case, they could have saved themselves the effort. Whoever the art director was for this film, needs to go back to the sorry ass school he came from, and light it on fire.

The icing on the cake: soft focus on everyone's skin. It's like running someone's face through a Smart Blur filter in photoshop. It's not a cool effect. It's retarded. The only reason I can think to use it, is to help human actors blend in with the asstacular CG humans found in some films.

This director should learn, sometimes less is more. He can't use CG as an excuse for poor film making. The writing was terrible and could not have saved this film.

***Spoiler...but it doesn't matter***

The only scene in this movie I liked was the last battle with the swords on fire. I half expected the fire to be CG. But no, the lighting was...fire. Their faces looked half normal. Then I wondered...why the hell were the swords on fire? All those gadgets in her arsenal and she can't whip out a flash light? It's bad enough the scene followed the guy's useless comments about light sensitivity.

DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!

I was warned. frown.gif
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    All I gotta ask is, were the action scenes decent? The rest of the movie really doesn't matter.

Does it beat Transporter 2? Cuz that was pretty damn bad.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yup - I thought Devils Rejects was superb, and I liked Saw.

With THHE I wanted the entire cast to be butchered as quickly as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I thought the intro scene with the cheesy cg fish and badly done dust fx was lame but I thought the rest was great, I think I actually half raised in my seat and yelled "YEAH!" at one point, there's alot of revenge in this movie (talking about The Hills Have Eyes, not Ultraviolet)