Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

my website

schlumpy
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
schlumpy polycounter lvl 18
Hi all.
It's been a long time since my last posting. I've been working on creating my own website/online portfolio. The addres is www.dschlumpp.com , please have a look and let me know what you think of it. I still might change and add a fews things, like a W.I.P and life drawing page. I also have a question. What is the best way put a demo reel on a site and what is the best codex to use? Here is one of my recent creations
new_centerror.jpg

Schlumpy
www.dschlumpp.com

Replies

• xstortionist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xstortionist polycounter lvl 17
    gets the message across on the web site.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    The first thing an employer wants to see is your main portfolio gallery and your resume. Make your 3D Gallery your main page, and have your resume as the 2nd choice in the menu. You don't really need a news page for this type of site, but if you want to use it as something like a blog or journal, put that near the bottom of your menu. You can keep the 2d section up, but I'd focus more on the 3d if that's the position you are looking for. Put your demo reel and email address at the top of your main gallery. You don't need the extra page for it, and this makes your site more efficient.

In the 3D Gallery, I think you're selling yourself short, and could look so much better by upgrading to your representation here. Don't use vague thumbnails (small cropping). Thumbnails that show more of what the user is going to see will make it more likely to be noticed and clicked on.

Little to no information on most work. Tri count, wire frames, materials, etc. should be listed for everything. Many of these are working UT2k4 characters, but unless the user downloads your Demo Reel, they completely miss this. Add in game screen shots, a link to the model download, flats, etc. This way, the user instantly knows you know how to edit Unreal. Anything in your gallery that can be presented in game should be. It makes you appear better technically as a game artist. Finish these bad boys up, properly present them, and your portfolio will look much stronger.

Your pictures from 2002 AGDC Conference Magazine, why aren't they in your 3D Gallery? They should be, and look good!

In your Resume, “I am a dude that like to draw a lot...” How about something more like “Hi, I'm Daniel, I'm seeking a full time position as a 3d character artist in the game industry” but written more towards your personal goals?

Overall, I think you've got skills, you just need to show them better. Put the Demo Reel right in the users face first thing, cause it makes you look great.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Dan

Chris has hit most of it on the head.

Just wanna add to his point about presentation.

have a larger thumbnail as mentioned,but when the enxt page opens have pics of EVERYTHING thats related to that thumbnail on one page,this saves alot of time clicking back and forth and also gives an extra oppotunity for people to compare the final model to the wireframe all on one page.

Dark Horizon does this,if you need to see what I mean:- http://www.horribledeath.com/2d3d.htm

ALso I would only post up work thats 100% finished or make a seperate section for WIPS etc

Just downloading ya reel.

Good luck

John
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with chris & John comments. loose the first page we come to is news, make that your 3d gallery page.

I looked over your resume, 1 thing. You put UnrealED on ure resume, but none of your portfolio has anything unreal related. Get them in the engine as playable characters and submit them to polycount. then u'll have some unreal stuff to show off laugh.gif
  • schlumpy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    schlumpy polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions. They were helpful. I have made some of the suggested changes, like larger thumbnails, better written resume and made my demo and email more visible. I tried to make my 3D gallery page the main page but I had problem redirecting the index page to dynamic PHP gallery page. It kept on changing the ‘?’ character in the address (http://dschlumpp.com/gallery.php?dir=3d) to some random characters? I have uploaded some of my animations on the new Movies page. Still have a lot of refining and re-arranging things.

Dan
    www.dschlumpp.com