Home Technical Talk

60 000 polygons?

FEMTO
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
FEMTO polycounter lvl 18
just quick question, if i was to make a 60 000 polygon car for example, how long should it take to model, unwrap and texture?

also, what is the key role of a junior artist and what are their expectations?

thanks

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    the question is, how long do you have to make it?

edit: yeah to clarify, I mean you could spend a short time and end up with a so-so looking car, or a really really long time and get a perfect one- but its likely that in a production environment you'll get somewhere inbetween.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    At 60,000 polygons, that's one detailed car. You could have a nicely detailed interior, underbody, suspension and all that with that kinda budget.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    It really depends on a number of factors - like rooster says it depends on deadlines (if any), also what methods you're using to build it, how big/detailed the texture has to be.

I have no experience of building cars, so I can't give any sort of estimate unfortunately.

Junior artists... ehh, their key role can be anything really, from cleaning up existing work to doing a lot of the boring work that nobody else wants to do. Again, depends on a number of factors, where you work, what game you're working on, what the team is like, it could all vary hugely. The key role is always "make art" though, and I'd wager it'd get boring from time to time.

Not sure what you mean by expectations?
  • FEMTO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FEMTO polycounter lvl 18
    @ rooster : well it is not meant for a company...i just want to start timing myself see if i canmake a car of that poly count in the industry expected time.

@ mop: what i mean by expectations, i mean when you get a job as a junior artist what are the key roles expected of you...but you have basically answered that question....hehe so thanks. but would still love to know how long i should try an complete a car of that level of detail.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Two weeks seems like plenty of time to learn, and get a process down, but I'd aim for doing it in a work week (40) hours or one day for each component of the process. To school yourself, try doing some lower end vehicles 100% in one day, and do this everyday to really speed up your process. Time yourself so you understand how to schedule your tasks.

Junior artist is usually a learning positions. You may spent more time fixing up little things, testing or just in general smaller set pieces. As MoP, this is all very dependant on where you are and what you're working on. This is a great place to prove how helpful you can be to the team.
  • jec1183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jec1183 polycounter lvl 18
    The best way is to just go and do it. Just set aside time in the day to model it. Then just record how long it takes you by the end. If you set aside 4 hours aday and just do that every day till you are done it should give you a good indication of how long it would take you if you were to do it for a job. Just manage time well.
  • da_milkman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    da_milkman polycounter lvl 18
    First, no engine that I know of will run a 60k poly car at rate. Unreal's engine (from what I have seen on their site and in demos) has 8k-25k poly vehicles normal mapped from several million poly vehicles.

So, you really want to be building a 8k-25k poly car and figuring out how long it is to map that (I'd say modeling takes 7 work days from scratch, UVing takes 3 days and actual texturing up to 5 days).

If you are looking at an industry job you have to look at what is being done so people can evaluate your skills correctly.

All of this is just IMHO.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    3 days for UV'ing? I'd hesitantly suggest something was wrong if you were taking 3 days to UV-map an 8-25k poly vehicle tongue.gif
  • FEMTO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FEMTO polycounter lvl 18
    just one other question in regards to terminology, is a face considered a triangle or a polygon?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    a face is a polygon, but triangles are polygons.. usually budgets are listed in triangles
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Junior position at our studio is exactly the same as a regular artist's position just at a slightly lower pay rate.
  • da_milkman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    da_milkman polycounter lvl 18
    3-5 days for UVing is what I usually give an artist with 1-2 years of experience. I guess you can double all my totals for less experience.

They get it done...
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    3 to 5 days? At 8 hours a day? Jesus man. I'd say 3-5 hours, maybe 8 if its really complex.

as for a 60,000 poly model, like the others have said it kinda depends on just what techniques you use and how detailed the end model is.
    If you want what standards I'd hold to:
    Assuming we are talking a full detailed model with interior and mechanical bits, I'd give you 2-3 working days at most to model it.(16-24 hours)
    I'd allow 8 hours to uv it. Being as its mechanical it should go faster, especially if you plan ahead and don't just wait till you have a jumble of polys to sort into uv space.
    For textureing, it really depends on the level of detail you are shooting for. Stock vehicle or custom airbrush job. Either way I'd shoot for 10 hours on the low end (taking interior leather and trim into account), and say 16-20 on the high end, if you have to do more than a solid color exterior.
    So all told thats a working week and a half on the high end. Still feels like a generous estimate to me but I'm just that way.