Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio

yeluis
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
yeluis polycounter lvl 17
Hi guys, Ive been sorta active here for the past 2 months. I have recieved a lot of great information from the people here at polycount. I figured I would give out an invitation for you to see my whole portfolio. I just graduated and am looking for a job as an Environment Artist. Please let me know what you think. yeluis.net

Replies

• Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    You have a really great start.

My recommendation though would be to make the first page you get to your portfolio. You want to make that as easy to find and read over as possible and it doesnt get any easier then putting it on the first page.

Still you provide increadibly easy access to your most important works by having them so prominently displayed, so why not combine the two? decrease the size of the preview bar and the text thats on it, then place them all in a vertical line next to the scroll bar on the side of the page. That way you have both resume and portfolio hot links on one page, and you've situated it so people dont have to go far from dragging the scroll bar to make a link selection!

That's my two cents, I leave the actual portfolio crit to the others who have a much more solid grasp of 3d then I do.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    The portfolio is nice, and navigation is ok.

El Nivel-O and Oregeton's Gorge could use more info, because they look like final Unreal maps, but there is no way to tell.

The Engine Room ref images posted with your work bring the overall presentation down. It allows the user to pick out errors in your interpretation to 3d instead of enjoying your final work.

Temoc seems out of place as a character in all these environments.

Aztec Temple could use a darker background because the palm leaves appear black. The rocks/sandbags stacked at the bottom look weird and wasteful. It's also a little confusing because it's high poly and there are normal maps presented with it.

The texturing and lighting on NY Street bring down the final quality, and make all your detail appear flat. You have a lot of detail in this piece, but it's presentation really hurts it. Please go for another pass on the lighting/rendering.

Sketch section does nothing for you. It seems to mostly be characters and you're presenting yourself as an environmental artist.

If you're looking for places to improve, I'd say focus more on command of textures, particularaly pixel control and a little more high detail for normal mapping.
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    Woah, if anyone deserves to crit evironment design around here it's Cholden! You should give his suggestion's a try Yeluis.
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for those comments, i dont understand what you mean about whether my old west and nivel 0 are final maps, what would be the diference? im not quite sure i see what you mean with this. I never realized posting the ref image of engine room hurted it, thanks for that one. The Ny scene are all screen captures and maybe thats why it seems flat?

Thank for those comments will doo some changes and keep these in mind for the future.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    what you mean about whether my old west and nivel 0 are final maps, what would be the diference?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I was just wondering what they were. They look like UT maps, but I (the user) can't tell what are because there is no info on the site. Just enough information on your work to describe how it's being presented will do.

[ QUOTE ]
    The Ny scene are all screen captures and maybe thats why it seems flat?

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's probably it. It's just, from the wire shot there's so much detail that's lost in the textured version. You can easily improve this piece with a better render.
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o ok, i get you now. Both levels are unreal maps. I guess i totally spaced out on the info for these. I will add info. The are just small maps not mods or anything. and I agree with that n scene. The low poly has the vertex lighting baked in, I ll try and set up the high poly one for render. This last one was an art test i did and thats how they wanted me to turn it in. Thanks as always for your input cholden
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redid my reel, added new stuff and took out some old. here it is demo reel lowres (10 mb)

reel06.jpg