Home General Discussion

BOOM CRASH

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
heading up to Philadelphia this weekend with my girlfriend and her 16 month old son to see the body worlds show at the franklyn institute. right after crossing the delaware border we saw a sign for a toll booth 3 dollars, i go to reach for my wallet and was not paying as much attention to the road as i should have been,, when all of a sudden the car in front of me darts into the other lane.. the cars infront of him were stpped still.. i slam on the brakes but by that time we were only maybe 20 - 30 feet away and traveling around 45 mph.

my nice new rx-8 plowed into the rear of her car,, the airbags deployed,

was my first major accident, a verry scarry experiece. after making sure my girl and her son was ok, i ran to check on the other driver,, i noticed she also had a car seat in the back of her car, but luckly no kid with her,, she was ok, and already calling 911, the police showed up about 10 minutes later, the police were really nice,, i only got a 45 dollar ticket for inatentive driver.. i honestly think i deserved more of a fine.

i'm just glad no one was hurt was a verry scarry experience..
now i have to go thru the nightmare of dealing with insurance company,,

any other storys of auto wrecks?

Replies

• Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    This march. A spanish lady who speaks no english, slammed on her brakes at a yellow light. She was in an explorer, I hit her with a geo metro. No damage to her vehicle and mine is considered totaled. She sued me for whiplash and won. I could'nt defend the case because my bank failed to transfer funds for a car insurance payment. So I was not covered that month.

So I lost the car, completely. Had to buy a new one, and am still paying back the whiplash suit. But thank god I was alone in the accident. I could'nt imagine endangering anyone else, even by accident.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Hey good to hear everyone was ok. No doubt scared the shit out of you.

I've been lucky enough to only have one accident back when I was 18, didn't see the stop sign at a 4way. Tore the bumper off of a girl's car with no damage at all to mine. Guess I was lucky. Didn't even get a ticket because as we were talking to the cop 2 other cars almost had the same exact accident at that intersection. Though I did end up paying 500 for the girls bumper, we decided to avoid the insurance company
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    Two years ago me and my cousin dropped off my parents at a party. On the way back we were approaching a cross secton and my cousin had a wee bit too much speed and sort of slided into the middle of it. (This was during the winter)

I looked right for a second and saw a Volvo 850 coming at us quite fast and before I knew it. BAM!

The right side of our car (an Audi A4 94') was pretty banged up and the door was on the ground. The Volvo was worse off I think. No serious injurys tho. I got my right knee bashed a bit and a slight concussion and that's it. Naturally I was the only one who got injured... my luck and all that.

Luckily (or something) it was my dads co-worker (they both work at one of the largest insurence companies in Sweden) so they could sort that stuff quite fast.

It was a wee bit scary seeing that Volvo coming at us. :P
    The worst part of it all was driving through town with no right side door in the middle of the winter tho. Blue feet? HELL YEA!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    when all of a sudden the car in front of me darts into the other lane. the cars infront of him were stpped still.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hate when that happens. Not much you can do about it. But some people should know not to jump out of lanes when the car in front of them has stopped. It gives little warning to the drivers behind them. This is why turn signals were invented. That person should be fined imho.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    only ever had one bump, not very long ago ... well, not so much of a bump as a squash ... as the truck in front of me in the work car park decided to shove it into reverse gear, slam his foot down onto the accelerator, and mount the front of my car in the manner of a hippo shagging a puppy's mouth before i'd even had a chance to think about reacting.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I've had a small accident, nothing really serious, I was leaving my girlfriend's house, and for some reason, I forgot to put my car into drive, or I thought I actually put it into drive and put my foot down on the accelerator, when in fact, I was still in reverse, and I ended up backing into her mailbox.

I know this is sort of off topic, but I really need to get to that bodyworlds exhibit, i have until april 23rd...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    when all of a sudden the car in front of me darts into the other lane. the cars infront of him were stpped still.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hate when that happens. Not much you can do about it. But some people should know not to jump out of lanes when the car in front of them has stopped. It gives little warning to the drivers behind them. This is why turn signals were invented. That person should be fined imho.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That happens WAY too often also. I really can't stand how people drive these days.
    I've had one accident that was the same situation, where the car in front of me swerved over at the last minute. The difference in mine was, the guy that was stopped in front of him, had a stick, and was sitting in neutral, with NO brakes. They were waiting to turn left with only the turnsignal on. I tried to switch lanes quickly when I realized they were stopped, but I only got about half way into the other lane. When I hit their truck, it sent it through the turn into oncoming traffic. Fortunately they didn't get hit.
    In that case, I placed blame on the guy turning since they didn't have their foot on the brake, so no one could tell they were stopped. I ended up getting the ticket though. I forget what violation they claimed it was, but I fought it in court and the judge didn't understand how manual transmissions worked, so she gave me probation. I had to pay the fine, but it didn't go on my record (no insurance increase).

For those who don't understand what I mean with the manual trans; If you hold the clutch in, it's like putting your car in neutral. If the ground is flat enough, you can sit there and not roll. Sometimes people will hold their clutch down with their left foot, then have their right foot on the gas, waiting to accelerate. No foot on the brake to have the brake lights on :/
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Mojo, you killed the 8?! I think I'm going to cry! I managed to rack up a $104 speeding ticket a few days ago, but otherwise my Mazda is still in tip-top shape laugh.gif Hope you can get it fixed, and I'm glad everyone is okay!
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    Long time ago ... was merging onto a snowy Michigan highway and a semi clipped the left rear quarter panel of my Vega hatchback. I lost control of the car and it veered across the rest of the lanes of the highway, hit the high bank of snow on the median, flipped up on the drivers side and sledded along through the deep snow for a while. I was shaken and in shock, but not hurt. The tow truck pulled my car over onto its wheels again and I was able to drive away. After some substantial bodywork, the car was almost as good as new. Sadly, my brother and fiancee killed it a year or so later by driving it too hard and causing it to blow a cylinder on the trip to bring it out to me in Connecticut.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well even if the guy who swerved around woulda slammed on breaks and been able to stop, i most likely woulda just hit them , it was really so sudden. and a good chunk of the blame is all on me,, i should have been paying better attention to the road
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Rhino, its good you are taking responsiblity. However, people will take advantage of this. DO NOT admit this in court or to the police/insurance. If the other party decides to sue, you admission could be used against you to a further degree.

I can't get in a accident. I most likely wont survive being a bicyclist. That and with no insurance, I wouldnt have any thing to cover medical bills. Sometimes its very very scary riding bikes around with the way people drive.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    my grandfather may years ago got hit by a semi changing lans and did 3 rolls and one nose flip. I don't know the whole story though.
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    I was involved in a car accident when I was 6 along with my Dad and Granfather- A taxi driver fell asleep behind the wheel after doing a 24 hour shift and swerved into oncoming traffic...

.. my Dad thought he was overtaking the car that was in front of the taxi so he held back, but the taxi ended up hitting us head on.

My Dad had only bought the car (a Ford Sierra, safest car in it's price range for '86) a few months previously and it probably saved his and my Grandfathers' lives- the engine came in to the cabin, crushing my dad's leg as well as breaking his jaw and ribs on the steering wheel, my Grandfather suffered a broken hip and other lesser injuries.

I was sitting in the back, and there were no seatbelts as they were not legally required at the time- if I had been a few inches towards the middle, I would have flown through the gap between the front seats and probably end up dying on impact with the windscreen.

The taxi driver died on impact, I don't think he was wearing a seat belt frown.gif

I have also been in 2 other accidents, one where I was in a Mini with 3 others, we were on a country lane and as we reached the brow of a hill, saw that a car with a trailer was doing a 3 point turn just out of view- my brother in law managed to swerve in time into the layby to the side of the road, clip a tree which spun us out and then hit another tree on the other side- nobody was injured apart from my sister who had whiplash due to sitting in the front.

And recently, I went out for a driving lesson with my mate in the dark along country roads- went to take a slow left turn, braked, started turning and the car understeered which was down to me going a bit too fast, mud on the road and the fact that the temperatures were going down so the road was getting slippy.

This caused it to touch the mud on the outside of the corner which then made the car swerve into the corner again... I then managed to correct it, was only doing 10-15 mph but just ran out of road to keep going and ended up in a ditch which ran along beside the left side of the road.

Ended up with the car on it's roof, smashed windscreen due to hitting a bush on the bank of the ditch which stopped us and minus a mirror and half of the Yorkshire countryside on the underside of my car.... and in the door seals...

If the car had not turned in when it did, we would have hit a telegraph pole that was on the outside of the corner...

I managed to push the car back on to it's wheels but because the mud in the ditch was so soft, I couldn't drive the car out so in the end, a farmer came out with his range rover, and then a tractor to tow it out...

Luckily there were no injuries, just hurt pride.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    What is this windscreen you speak of? And a telegrap pole? wink.gif

Your story reminded me of a different accident that I was ALMOST in. I was approaching a light to make a left turn, but for some reason was in a daze, and not paying attention to the light. So I was going really slow rather than up to speed so that I could catch the light green (very uncharacteristic of me).

Anyways, I had just started to hit my gas when the light turned red. Right afterwards, the car across the road started going (she now had a green light). A pickup came flying through the intersection full speed from the right (guy had red light).

The truck hit the car, causing the car to spin in 360s, and the truck went airborn. It landed on the hood of two cars on the opposite side of the intersection. He had two dirtbikes in the back that came loose and flew down the road even further.

What I realized afterwards was, if I wasn't in the daze, I probably would have been there rather than that other car, since I basically would have been doing something I call turning on orange (between switching from yellow to red). The bad thing about that was, I was driving a Jeep Wrangler. I had the top and doors off the vehicle. My buddy was in the passenger seat. He would have been hit directly by the truck (literally) and it probably would have rolled my Jeep over.

Fortunately, with the way things ended, everyone survived. The woman in the car that spun, was stuck in her car, but I believe she was uninjured other than probably bruising. I know her voice was fine though wink.gif She was yelling for the guy and they weren't kind words blush.gif
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well its estimated that my car will be repaired, and it should be finished by the 15th of march.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Good to hear everything turned out ok Mojokey.

Haven't really been in any interesting accidents on public streets, just a couple fender benders but offroad I have rolled a baja bug, a jeep, and a pickup. The baja bug ended up so mashed up that we rolled it down a steep canyon to the 4x4 graveyard while shooting it. Good times.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Glad everyone was ok Mojokey. Accidents with kids are the worst.

Last day of high school I was making a left turn and there was a car coming towards me in the far lane that was blocked by another car. Their light turned red and I made a left, just as she sped up and went through it. Completely totalled my Acura Integra and her Honda Accord. I had stitches in my leg and bruises on my face and body. Air bag hurt like hell. She had the same type of injuries, but overall ok. I got the ticket for an illegal left turn and she got off. She later sued me (well my insurance company) which I thought was horrible. I ended up missing a final or 2. But things worked out. I was really paranoid to drive for a month or so afterwards.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    10k worth of damage to my ride,, wowzers,, i'll never talk about insurance being a rip off ever again,, all i have to pay is my 500 buck deductable, and then whatever hike my insurance takes because of the crash
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I bootlegged the Detox album this weekend and was pumpin' it hard outside of my carpark as i was pulling out to goto work (on a saturday no less) I checked both ways at a T-intersection and swore i had enough time to go, by the time i looked back (slowly creeping out) the car that was half way down the street had now tore my lic plate off the front of my car. this was last week. I scratched her lexus bumper. It was her daughter's car thay she borrowed and she seemed pretty stressed about that. I think she didnt tell her and I haven't heard a word since. This was about 6 days ago.

I'm gunna be more careful. I really hate driving.

-R
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    i just paid 1080 dollars to fix the lexus. i'm so pissed. i 'really' hate driving.

-R