Home General Discussion

monitor calibration settings?

FEMTO
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
FEMTO polycounter lvl 18
recently I bought a new monitor, and started up photoshop today. I got an error message reading the following

"the monitor profile "LG L1917S" appears to be defective. please rerun your monitor calibration software"

i am a coomplete newb with stuff like this.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured this out recently for our studio, wrote up the process. Works great for us...

============
    1. Don't do this until your monitor(s) have been on for at least 1 hour.

2. Reset the display driver gamma control. Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > GeForce tab > Color Correction > Restore Defaults. Repeat for 2nd monitor, if present. (we mostly use Nvidia cards, your card may be different)

3. Remove the Adobe Gamma control and restart Windows... Navigate to your Startup folder and delete the Adobe Gamma shortcut (we shouldn't be using Adobe's tool because someone may not have Photoshop installed, instead everyone will be using their display driver to adjust their gamma). On my system it was in this folder... C:\Documents and Settings\Eric Chadwick\Start Menu\Programs\Startup. After deleting it, restart your computer.

4. Set the monitor controls: Brightness = 100, and Contrast = 100. If your monitor(s) have individual RGB B/C controls, set all to 100/100.

5. Hide all windows & minimize the taskbar. If you have a ton of desktop icons, move them into a temporary desktop folder so they don't overly influence your perception.

6. Adjust the vertical height control for your monitor(s). Decrease until the desktop is smaller than the monitor's usable screen space. You should see a black border on top and bottom, something like this.
    crt01.gif

7. Now use the master Brightness control on each monitor to adjust the active area so that it just merges with the black of the non-scanned area. The Brightness setting has to be on the verge so that the smallest increase to it would make the active scanned area discernible.

8. Reset the monitor vertical height back to where it was before, so your desktop fills the screen. Optionally you can adjust the width and/or height to make sure your aspect ratio is correct (so circles appear as circles instead of ovals). It helps to use an image that has large circles on it. Also helps to avoid perceptual errors by tilting your head sideways 90 degrees, then straight again, comparing the circle aspect ratios as you adjust the monitor, until they appear to be true circles.

9. Adjust the gamma... Set this image (if you're using a Windows OS) to your desktop background, centered (not scaled nor fitted):
    220.png
    Then use your display driver to adjust your gamma. The two gray columns on the left should match one another, and the three color columns should appear the same gray color. Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > GeForce tab > Color Correction > Gamma. Move this slider until the columns appear even.

10. Fine-tune the gray balance. The task is to adjust the display driver's Red, Green, and Blue Brightness sliders separately so that the chart will appear as neutral gray as possible. Do this on your main monitor, the one you examine color imagery on the most or use the game executable on the most. Switch the dropdown to Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > GeForce tab > Color Correction > All Channels to Red, and adjust its Brightness slider. Do the same for Green and for Blue until the grays appear neutral. Then calibrate the colors on your other monitors to match the first one.

If you're interested in the nitty-gritty:
    http://www.aim-dtp.net/index.htm
    =============

Hope that helps. Really works great here, we see so much more when our monitors are calibrated.
  • FEMTO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FEMTO polycounter lvl 18
    thanks a lot! i'll give that a shot