Home General Discussion

salaries

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
Is it my imagination or have salaries for next gen artists increased a lot recently.
I even saw a lead artist job recently advertised at 60,000 quid a year.
WOW with a capital 'wu'

Replies

• Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Would be really interesting to get a clue of what to count on in each country. Entry artists at DICE (straight from the source) could make 190000 SK a year, around 14000£ or 24000$.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    14,000 pounds year is not so good , even for an entry artist.I would say 17 minimum.
    I started on 12,000 a year at blitz. I thought it was ok at the time.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Knowing the job, expertise and sacrifice required, I dont think 60k pounds is being overpaid at all. But yeah, money is OK. Art leads here in CA can make well into 6 figures. $ aint everything as I finally figured out though.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    60k is a *lot for the UK, even for the best of the best. Be interested to see what company that was for

then again, salaries on adverts often don't mean a whole lot. I used to work for a company that advertised artists jobs "up to 45k", and their lead artist was only on about 20
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I think it was codemasters Danr if I remember rightly.

yeah Daz, money isn't everything, but its nice still:)
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    ahem, well, Codies need to entice people in somehow i suppose ...
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I suppose scrapping that stupid iq/concept art test was n't enough smile.gif
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Did they finally get rid of that IQ test? My friend went for an interview a while ago and said it was like an interrogation.

12k at Blitz? Damn, I applied there a while back and they asked me what my salary expectations were. Is it common for such a low wage? Of course I'd certainly give up a little cut of a salary if it meant working in a nice enviroment.

Lately, it seems to me guys coming from a film background command more money that those who start out in games too.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Tell you what, if I ever went to codies again, I'd demand to have the interview before the test. 3 hours of tests before finding out in the interview that the job had nothing to offer me was a waste of my entire day.

60k for a lead is not a stupid amount at all. It depends on what the word lead means - lead of a team, lead of all the artists etc.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Ha thats nothing I was there 5 hours. I thought they had forgot about me. Not once did I get the chance to touch a computer.
    What a friggin waste of a day that was.

yeah super , it was it like an interrogation.
    They must have lost many a good artist over the years because of it.

Blitz has always paid low wages BTW.
  • Fordy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
    Though im not in the business, id say anything less than £18000 here in the UK was piss poor for an artist. Especially considering the national average wage is supposed to be around £26000 - Wonder who makes those figures up? crazy.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    £17000 is what I heard as an average starting wage for a junior artist here in the UK. Usually when I've seen ads for lead artists, or senior artists, they tend to be in the £30-40k range.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    That "National Average Wage" is probably skewed by the presence of "wages" for corporate executives and the like in the range of hundreds of thousands of £.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Just to clarify what I meant about money not being important, of course it is. There's no denying that. I just meant that not at the expense of being unhappy in the job it isn't. Furthermore, I think these numbers are pretty disgusting considering how much the industry is worth now. And here was me contemplating moving back to Britain someday.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, right now the game industry is raking in more cash than the movie industry. The modellers and animators and other artists are actor, set designer, costume, special FX, and a host of other positions when compared to the Movies. So when are THEY gonna get the $20,000,000 deal for working on a game?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    don't worry, they will get all that cash. divided up among the large hordes of grunts that seem to be necessary, of course wink.gif

cubik: the entry artist pay at dice sounds ridiculously low. afaik, sweden is one of the most expensive countries to live in europe?

anyway, certain berlin-based game dev studios have been accused (anonymously, that is) to employ a large number of extremely underpaid entry level developers that came out of games academy, an also berlin-based educational institute. according to the sources, these people are being paid something between 400 - 1000 euro/month for full time work.
    yeah, sounds like quite the cool life, live the dream job and get rich while at it...
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    There's not too many other places to go to if you want to do games in Sweden so they don't have to compete. I know their leads make more but I doubt it comes close to US lead $$.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Daz m8, you've been on a comfortable salary a long time if you've gotten to the point that you think being well paid to be unhappy in a job is a bad tradeoff heheh

The guys that comes in near the end of the day here to clean out the bins and mop the toilets don't look so happy and they don't get the good pay tradeoff is my point.

I'm not having a go at you, I've fallen into the same lines of thought as you are, I just suspect that if you change industry and takea 1/3 pay cut for instance, you might feel different.

Well, I mean after the first year has passed and you understand what can't be changed wink.gif

Personally I think being a bit unhappy now and then at work is a perfectly fine trade off for being well paid because the more well paid I am, the sooner I can retire and do as I please.

Happiness in my job doesn't get me closer to retirement and finacial independance enough to not need to care what day or time it is and simply 'be'.

It's all relative of course.

I started on 11k at reflections, they paid my apartment rent and electric/heating etc too. Free meal was provided if I worked past 7, so I did , most of the time.

r.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    don't worry, they will get all that cash. divided up among the large hordes of grunts that seem to be necessary, of course wink.gif

cubik: the entry artist pay at dice sounds ridiculously low. afaik, sweden is one of the most expensive countries to live in europe?

anyway, certain berlin-based game dev studios have been accused (anonymously, that is) to employ a large number of extremely underpaid entry level developers that came out of games academy, an also berlin-based educational institute. according to the sources, these people are being paid something between 400 - 1000 euro/month for full time work.
    yeah, sounds like quite the cool life, live the dream job and get rich while at it...

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a group in Frankfurt that are dangerously overworked and underpaid. Their helth is starting to be effected.

But on the otherhand, as long as I make rent, and not "wory" about money, for me it's more important that the comany is well run, and doesn't have a lot of crunch time, and i don'tget the hairy eyeball for going home at sundown, that is more important. I waspaid really well at Castaway, but the great work environment made it a great job, as opposed toa good one.

However at my current status, I'llacceptjust about anything in the bay area that pays enough to make rent. ($2100 a month after taxes).

Scott

Scott

Scott
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I regret that my wording seemed like I was boasting Ror. That certainly wasn't my intent. EA paid really good money, but the sacrifice was too great. That was the point I was trying to make. When I look back on the last six years of my life out here, I realise I haven't had one. I just 'crunched' every summer. Weekends, evenings. No vacations apart from sporadic trips back to Britain, difficulty holding down long term relationships, health issues. I know weve all been there, but trust me, crunches at that studio are legendary. They lasted almost the entire length of each project. Im in my mid thirties, and I feel like Ive squandered a big chunk of my life. Thats what I mean when I say it isn't worth it. If I could trade the $ for those 6 years of my life back I would. Life's too short. I wish I'd never moved here. I didn't mean to sound flippant or ungrateful about $. I know a lot of people in this industry struggle financially and I don't think it pays anywhere near as much as it should.

Im almost certainly looking at a substantial paycut at my next gig for sure. Heck If was to go and make models for ILM for example, probably 50% of what I earnt at EA. But they're unionized, so my theory is that I can lead a normal life. I am done with sacrificing my life for my job, which is why I'm attempting to leave the videogame industry. Perpetual crunching is a young mans game.
    I'll get back to you on wether or not the grass is greener in a few months time! smile.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Good luck m8, I didn't think you boastful, I just feared it might have been so long since you struggled for money that it might hurt to have to lower your quality of life.

Of course, it doesn't sound possible for you to lower it anymore than it has been, you paint a dour picture!

Yeah this industry is pretty stupid at times. I get tired of the 'you got to just jump on that grenade and cover it with your helmet' mentality.. I have to fight the urge to point out 'but we're not at war, we're not in the trenchs and if we were, there's no fucking chance I'd take a bullet for you!!!!' smile.gif

Hope it works out, if it does , throw me a lifeline ina a few years time.

r.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ILM for example, probably 50% of what I earnt at EA. But they're unionized,

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry OT, but I thought the majority of ILM workforce wasn't unionized? I mean, it is Lucas's baby after all. (I don't know, wondering if someone can pipe in)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Daz I think that with the advent of new working practices like the scrum system, we seem to be working crunch almost constantly now. Previously in a project you would start off slow and then build up, but thats changed now.
    My first 8 months I was working normal hours, then slowly I ended up taking the work home and its stayed like that ever since.
    I have tried to stop working at home of late, cause it does take its toll on your nerves.

Re the quality of life vs money aspect I suppose you have to balance it really.
    Even if you have stuff to do at work, you should make plans for the evening , go and play pool, long walk etc, it really does help.

I also am startng to think i have given away a large chunk of my life to working too hard. I have doing 3d since 1995 and have rarely had a break/holiday.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I think I started out on £14k a year and left my last job at £35k, after 6 years experience of doing practically the same thing.

GROSS 35,000.00 -> TAX -> NET = 25,539.38
    GROSS 45,000.00 -> TAX -> NET = 31,852.48
    GROSS 55,000.00 -> TAX -> NET = 37,752.48
    GROSS 60,000.00 -> TAX -> NET = 40,702.48

The bracket from £35K to £55k is non existant because of tax reasons shown above. Basically your company would pay you more but the difference of take home cash is minimal, so they don't bother. Wages paid often jump from around £35k to around £60k with no middleground.

When wages go up, the tax becomes extreme. When they talk about fat cats in the news, it's actually quite missleading.

GROSS £100,000 -> TAX -> NET = £64,302.48
    GROSS £300,000 -> TAX -> NET = £182,302.48

Also in the UK, there are rules to stop people from earning over £250,000 or so.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    It wasn't so long ago that iw as struggling to make ends meet. I'd consider myself well paid. They gave me exactly what I asked for so I can't complain at all.

[ QUOTE ]

Personally I think being a bit unhappy now and then at work is a perfectly fine trade off for being well paid because the more well paid I am, the sooner I can retire and do as I please.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my opinion aswell. I love my job, but there are times (like now) where i work 6.5 days a week fixing other peoples SLOP and fighting tools and flawed systems when i wonder if I should just put a gun to my head. That's usually when I start playing geometry wars smile.gif

-R
  • headengine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    headengine polycounter lvl 18
    I started in the industry over 10 years ago on 18k in Britain.

If you are very good, even with no experience, you ought to be entering on 21k or more. 60k seems like a lot but I imagine some art directors in Britain draw that down... most leads seem to rock in around 30-40k or so, maybe a little more depending on the candidate.

Just from what I have experienced. I had a senior role that I didn't take in the US a few years ago that would have almost doubled my salary so I know you guys can get paid well... this was a good role to be fair, 1st party development.

It is all relative though. As Daz says, money isn't everything - its all about a bit of balance. If its all work and no play, it not a fun life. Peaks, troughs, and flat bits is where its at - it shouldn't be a climb all the time.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    This has turned out really interesting, I simply wouldn't have thought you could exceed 30k for any artist role over here. Always felt the general spectrum went from 18k-30k depending on role/experience. Actually I would've thought some of the figures thrown around here would only been applicable for management/"famous" designers/producers (likes of Kojima, Jaffe, Cliff B).

Would it be fair to say that salaries are higher at 1st party studios compared to 3rd? I've often wondered if the quality of life varies depending on the studios backing, I imagine it would.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    18k was my entry salary about 5 or 6 years ago, and when I see entry level jobs at 12K in places like London or Leamington Spa I think people are being taken for a ride. 12k is about the same as a factory job these days, and it's impossible to live in the souuth of England on that unless you are still living at home.

A few years ago I was offered an interview for a lead artist position at a southern developer for 2k more than I was making as a grunt in the north of England. Needless to say I told them I wasn't interested.

But yeah, the money isn't the be all and end all - (generally) good working conditions, pension, training and healthcare (including eyecare) all help. Thankfully I've not had to use any healthcare, but I know someone who recently did. 3 days later he was in the hospital and got it sorted, rather than waiting for months for an NHS appointment.

Most grunt artists with 2+ years of experience that I have known in the last 5 years were on 20-30k. Of course companies vary, and the area does affect the salary.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    super - for companies that routinely pay over the 30k mark, you'll generally find they're doing incredibly well, or are soon to fold cos the wage bills are so high but without the products to cement them.

i'm sure Rick can attest to both of those smile.gif
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    *comes in late from the weekend*

I saw that £60k job, too. I even mentioned it on my journal. It was for a lead position with 6 years experience at the helm of a team. I have just over 6 months. I don't think I'm going for that just yet. wink.gif

As for Codies, I was there for an interview just over a week ago. Yes, the IQ tests have gone smile.gif. I have to say, though, the role I was interviewed for, the wage was coming trhough at 5-10k less than what was advertised, as they do inflate the figure with the benefits such as bonuses, pensions and healthcare, rather than what you will be taking home each month.

I want my £30k +, dammit! Oh, and working on some long-term and interesting projects wink.gif

I started at £18k with Rage, rising to £24k in two years. Rage died, then my wage dropped to £23k with Criterion, and seems to have stuck there. Starting to feel pretty under-valued, though, considering the responsibilities I've held (hence looking about)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    You worked at rage Jon?
    most of my team used to work at rage before it went broke and became swordfish
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    wow this sounds pretty bad... UK must not be such a nice place to work, that tax breakdown is utterly ridiculous. I've heard UK companies do alot of outsourcing to china, india and eastern europe, is the common mentality there that the the inhouse artists should be paid as much as the contractors from other countries?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    just reading hawkens post, hes pretty correct on how our (rubbish) tax system works. however, theres no rules to stop you earning over 250k, the rule is 750k (thats what my boss told me anyway). however, that didnt stop the director of tesco earning a nice £5,000,000 bonus last year, for his "excellent work propelling the company to making 1.8bn profit".

thanks, thats really nice to hear for a nightshift worker who brings in £800 a month >_>

money over here is rubbish, unless your in the military, or an executive. your only hope is to move abroad.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    wow this sounds pretty bad... UK must not be such a nice place to work, that tax breakdown is utterly ridiculous. I've heard UK companies do alot of outsourcing to china, india and eastern europe, is the common mentality there that the the inhouse artists should be paid as much as the contractors from other countries?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there is a reason the US constitution forbids the government from levying an income tax (Or rather, did forbid it until the 16th ammendment was pushed through. Disgusting to see things like that go completely against the original intention of those who founded our country.)
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    I'd like to see a dollar to British Pound Conversion for the purposes of discussion.

Oh and Daz good luck on Hollywood, but remember that not all game companies are EA, even if that seems to be the case.

Scott
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Last year I made enough money to officially put me in the tax bracket that gets to support both the lower and upper class.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1 U.S. dollar = 0.57 British pound
    1 British pound = 1.74 U.S. dollar

There us go (rounded up numbers).

You do know google has a built in converter? Just google on 30000 uk pound to us dollar

18 000 British pound = 31 446 U.S. dollar
    30 000 British pound = 52 410 U.S. dollar
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I have a cybernetic implant
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    So how do the footballers earn so bloody much then if you cant earn over gbp750k a year?
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    Little off-topic, but perhaps that salary was as high as it was due to extra conditions about the work area. I can make about 20k more per year, doing the same thing, if I work in a nearly condemed Navy Yard in South East D.C. doing the same thing.

I'm actually taking a paycut to move soon, and my quality of life is still looking towards increasing heavily. Cost of living goes into account for much of the salary differences.