Home General Discussion

Quick question for some guys in the game industry.

Withers
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Withers polycounter lvl 18
A local game company I have been dreaming of working at for years is hiring right now for a general receptionist/gopher type of thing. Now it is certainly not my idea of a good time, but I'm not skilled enough to apply there as an artist yet. I hate my current job, so it's really more of a lateral move then a huge step down.

So obviously, the question is, do you guys think this is a good idea?
Is this a foot in the door, or would I just be seen as a joke to the artists watching me sweep the breakroom?

Replies

• Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Personally, I know someone who recently made the switch from Jr. Sysadmin to artist, so I'd say go for it smile.gif

(Actually, I think the situation was more "You're fired... Oh, hm... we're hiring artists, maybe we can stick you there." wink.gif)
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    yes, i know someone who did something similar. Plus, you can always get a 3d program and Photoshop installed and practice when you have slack times (very likely).
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    I applied as tester, was refused the first time but they sent the work request for artist to the central. So, sooner or later you ´ll get there. Hey, you have personal contact by then and you dont need tricky back doors or vouchings from artist there, and most of the times its easier to hire a new receptionist then an artist I think.
    my two cents:

GOGOGOGO!
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    Go for it. The experience of working for a game company and being around the dev process will do you good. But ... with the caveat that you are unlikely to ever work there as an artist ... even if you get your skills up.
  • HumbleEgo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HumbleEgo polycounter lvl 18
    If you're refering to VV, I'd say go for it. I heard of a few people making drastic switches here. Plus you'll be able to see how things work and the level of work you'll be expected to produce.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pro's
    - You are in the industry with people of the same goals.
    - You have the inside track and will KNOW the people looking at resumes. If you can be your own best referance why would they not let you move over instead of hire from the outside?
    - You might be able to move into doing simple mundane tasks for artist to help ease thier load. This could lead to more tasks.
    - You are offically in the industry so you can get into E3. Even if there are less booth babes and more behind closed doors stuff its still E3. At the bare min you get out of work and get out of the house =P

Con's
    - It a general receptionist/gopher type job, and that doesn't require much more than you be a somewhat atractive chick. Sorry the industry is what it is...
  • Withers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Withers polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, heh, I didn't expect anyone else here was from Albany. Yeah, I sure was talking about VV.
    I have been eyeballing them since the day I heard they were there, (even applied for an art job years ago to no avail), and now they have become quite the respectable company.

Ok then, you guys have convinced me, the resume goes out some time before Monday. I just hope they don’t meet that hot young chick the position requires before I get there.
    I can type pretty damn fast, but I just don’t look that good in a miniskirt.

Thanks again.