Home General Discussion

Canada has no illnesses.. so they've gone after us

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That's silly, pointless and it'll never happen.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    I'd be interested to know how that works in movies.

It's very convinient to go after the new medium but I can't recall a single realistic war movie that didn't use the cross.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    The 'red cross' doesn't mean "THE RED CROSS" in the military it technically denotes a mobile or temporary hospital, they use different logos for different areas, in saudi it's the star/moon combo.. afaik, we never had anyone from red cross in our hospital and use that logo when I was on active duty.
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    This is really nothing new. When I was at id, we ran into the exact same issue (American Red Cross in this case. if I remember). We had to or chose to change the color of the cross inside the Q3A health bubbles to colors OTHER than red. I'm surprised that Blue Cross health insurance didn't come after us also, or whatever organization represents Pharmacies in France (and maybe all of Europe), because I seem to remember that they use a green cross as their symbol.

I suspect that if this issue were to go to court, game companies could defend the use of the red cross as being something that has lost its right to exclusivity as a trade or service mark due to it's common use in society as a universal symbol indicating health care. The Red Cross agencies would likely need to show that they have a history of diligence in defending the use of their mark against similar useage in media other than games.

EDIT: I did a quick image search and found that most instances of the red cross were for the Agencies of that name. However, I did find that same proportional cross used differently in a number of healthcare logos and it is the standard symbol for the Medic in the American Military (or was). I think they will still have issues if they choose to prosecute ... the cross with those proportions (if not that color) is definately tied to the concept of health care.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Im more interested in if this symbol was removed. What other symbol is commonly recognized for health/healing?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    During Fightbox I was making the arena pickups, and the Fightbox people said they wanted something new for all the pickups. For health, I made a Caduceus staff. It looked great.

Then they made me change it to a cross because they didn't think it was obvious enough.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Well shit, without video games I wouldnt even know wtf that symbol meant... If they take out this symbol from games, than in 15 years when we're in some other war, none of the kids are gonna know where to go and get health kits from...
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    just use a red plus sign instead. since it's normally used for "adding" points to your health meter. silly canadians.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Good call ElysiumGX laugh.gif
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    I wonder how the Swiss feel about this?

You'd think the Canadian Red Cross would have bigger fish to fry, like ...keeping AIDS out of the blood supply.

Just sayn'
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    Bring back the good old Capcom meat on stick and plate of ham pickups.

The Swiss feel.... neutral wink.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I welcome the red cross to ask me to translate this in Japanese to stop Japanese games companies, doctors and pharmacies from using this highly exclusive corporate symbol of the 21st century.

To which I will translate to "we're a bunch of time wasting cunts"

PJ, did you guys not consider contesting them? I mean, it's health for christs sake! Actually, while playing quake3 I never noticed what colour the health pickup was, so good job! cool.gif
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    As a content provider myself, I feel the red cross has a right to protect their intellectual property, which consists of a single peculiarly colored mathematical symbol. In light of this request by the red cross, I have created a variant symbol similar, yet distinguishably different from that of the red cross, feel free to use it, if there are requests, I shall upload a PSD path file so you may use it in your games at any conceivable resolution. In fact, I recommend using it for box-art.

RedCross.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sorry but your lines are too close together and somewhat resemble the twin towers, we have found that offensive and I formally request that you rotate one of the lines at a 45 degree angle
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    My sincerest apologies. I have adjusted my prospective symbol to suit your request:

RedTower.jpg
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    on a slightly related note, there's a Magic (the gathering) card called "Combat Medic" ( http://www.cardshark.com/images_magic/01972.jpg ) that I honestly find to be a really cool alternative to the standard cross.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I think it'd be more interesting to see diffrent graphics for healing anyway, using the cross is sort of being lazy anyway. But the next time they come asking for hand outs... well you should give anyway.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    "...gone after us".
    Who's us? Americans? No, no it can't be. That article doesn't mention American's or the United States anywhere. Hmm..

So, by us you mean... the gaming industry? I mean this is Polycount after all so it must be the industry you're speaking of. So, every country that contributes TO that industry is "us" then? Including Canada? CANADA isn't going after anyone. The Canadian section of a GLOBAL organization is raising stink over something slightly trivial.

Hilarious! Canada! No sorry, KANEDA!!!1one Goooo polar bears!

:\
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    on a slightly related note, there's a Magic (the gathering) card called "Combat Medic" ( http://www.cardshark.com/images_magic/01972.jpg ) that I honestly find to be a really cool alternative to the standard cross.

[/ QUOTE ]

that looks more like a scaffolding flange!

I always though that the helix thingie was the sign for healing?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    "Helix Thingie"? You mean the caduceus staff Rick is talking about?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Or you could just use a simple red heart shape or something. I'm pretty sure loads of games used to use hearts for 1up.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    No serious soldier would wear a backpack with a big read heart symbol on it.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Will you be my valentine, soldier!?!?!

[ QUOTE ]

RedCross.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful. Don't want to offend Satan.