Home General Discussion

unfold 3d magic

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
i saw it in action, and it's very awesome.
you import an obj. pick your seams, click unwrap, done.
http://www.polygonal-design.fr/e_unfold/manual2v4.php

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That looks pretty good, and the tutorial even tells you how to correctly apply seams to a dildo:
    ruf12.gif
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    What is it with all these unwrap programs lately? It's like someone saw pros saying they export to a free program (wings) to do their mapping and they went "Woah, we can copy that in a week or two and charge money for it!"
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    wow, lame. people trying to cash in on not making UV mapping a skill you have to learn.

anyway, Wings3D. hurray.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    This program is my new UV mapper, I got into it about a week ago after Arsh showed it to me, and fell in love. I know how to UV map, but now that some of my "low" poly models are over 10,000 tris, manuallying doing it isn't going to cut it. I had one particularly difficult model I just couldn't get to relax in any other program (wings included) and this program did it fine. I personally feel this is the best UV relax tool there is. The only other one I haven't tried is Modo's.

poop.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How much they paying you Poop? laugh.gif
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    Seems sort of ridiculous. Identical to the FREE Auto UV in Wings unless you pay 400 Euros for the version with a relax feature. confused.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Blender 2.35 beta had a relax

i wonder what happened to that
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can promise you this product is superior to wings. I'll grab an example tomorrow of what wings did, how long it took and then what Unfold magic did and how long it took. Not only is it significantly faster, it actually relaxed my model instead of throwing up on it. (very high poly complicated model)

It was worth the 400 bux (we bought a copy)
    poop.gif
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    its not just a relax its pretty much auto uvs. you press a button and you have uvs thats it, bottom line.. there is no tweeking, there is no packing it does everything and it does it good. better than any other other solution i have ever seen. before this i swore on modo's uving, but there were still some times i had to go back and move a vert or two. unfold 3d will unwrap anything instantly with no work afterward, zero. boom your done. wings sux a free cock allday and it learned it from your mom.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unless your company is paying the bill, four hundred bucks seems crazy for a simple Relax function. The less expensive version is just basic LSCM that you can find in most software these days.

But if you guys say that this is the best UV relaxer on the market, then I'm sure it is. The only problem is getting someone to buy you a copy. crazy.gif
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I hate uvmapping, I'd gladly spend 400 buck if it meant I could go straight from modeling to texturing but I have to try mondo first, it is 400 dollars after all and I don't have a company to buy it for me, 400 smackers buys a lot of beer and pizza Id hate to miss out if I don't have to.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Unless your company is paying the bill, four hundred bucks seems crazy for a simple Relax function. The less expensive version is just basic LSCM that you can find in most software these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not basic LSCM, which is what I'm saying. If it were, it wouldn't solve the solutions the others couldn't. It starts with a version of Max's unwrap to make sure everything is non overlapping, and then it NEVER EVER EVER lets them overlap again no matter what. It must do something on top of the basic LSCM because it lays them out exactly how I would if I had all day to tweak a face. If you're being paid to UV wrap, you'd be waisting your employers money on higher poly objects NOT to buy this software, and if you aren't getting paid and are a hobbyist, there are not only cheaper version on the site (150 bux), but there is always limewire...

Also:
    [ QUOTE ]
    wings sux a free cock allday and it learned it from your mom.

[/ QUOTE ]
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH

poop.gif
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well after a quick test with one seam down the back of a head, it came out pretty similar to the wings 3d version. The only thing I found better was the ease of use and nice interface.
    For Heads i still find that using a cylindrical unwrap with a bit o tweaking gets to where I want pretty quick
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not only was Wings a total pain in the butt to get to this test point (awful interface and viewport navigation), it took about five minutes per operation. UnfoldMagic did this head in under 13 seconds.

wings_blows.jpg

Left is Unfold, Right is Wings. You can see under the nose and front of the chin the stretching is worse in wings version. The overall density is more even all over on the Unfold Magic version as well. This is one unfold iteration, and one relax stretch operation in each program. Also, I had to rotate wings version to be straight up and down, it didn't come that way. And the Unfold Magic was straight, and for whatever reason I rotated it in this image so it's off kilter.

Wings isn't awful by any means. If you are on a limited budget, or you already use it as your software of choice, go for it. But I still hold that UnfoldMagic is a superior product.

poop.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmm.. the result is pretty much the same (some areas are better on one and some better on the other), and about the time... I have not the slightest idea what took you 5 minutes in wings, as this is a ~3 step operation. It seems more like you are completly unfamilar with the interface and have some sort of uneasyness with it what ever the reason for that is (probably as unfounded as 3dsmax people dislike Maya and vice versa; not as in "objectivly not so nice Blender interface" tongue.gif ).
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Any comparison with Blender and live LSCM?
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    My question is why is it that the neck has so much more pixel density than the face? Thats no good...
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    My question is why is it that the neck has so much more pixel density than the face? Thats no good...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pretty basic problem with UVmapping in general. You want seams in the most unimportant areas of the mesh, yet on the UVmap they'll be on the 'outside' therefore getting the most UV space. One solution is to make several cuts to break it up and allow them to be more their actual size, but in reality I find doing so doesn't save much space anyway, and you'd have a whole mess of seams to work arond.

Poop: If you say unfold3d does a better job, I'll take your word for it, but I don't think the interface should enter the discussion, since it's pure opinion. (Ie. I like it just fine). What I wanted to ask though, is what's up with the left sheet? It isn't symmetrical and has some strange artifacts around the mouth and eyes, not the best way to advertize if you ask me wink.gif

Edit: Both sheets, actually, the right has the eye bit. Is the mesh not symmetrical?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It appears you didn't rotate the Wings mesh before capturing the checkerboard. Wings looks to have better placement of the ears and symmetry. And I don't consider automatically rotated UVs as a luxury worth the price of Unfold3D. Also, I wouldn't make cuts on a head that way. Gives bad results, and you're only relying on Unfold3D to make it less terrible. I think it's better to have a slight edge, than visible distortions. And I would make the ears separate, as they're complex and would only influence the shape of the head uvs with undesired results, or shrink the ears UVs. And like JKM, says, it's only a 3 step process. I've had a mesh the same density unwrap in less time than you claimed. Viewport navigation is similar to Maya's if you set it that way. And I can't believe you think it's a terrible interface, only for the fact it could use a transform gizmo for modeling. There are only 4 buttons to pick selection modes, in addition to hotkeys.

So there you have it. You think Unfold3D is superior. I think Wings is. It is a matter of preference, and experience. But the real conflict is the fact some people don't have hundreds of dollars falling out of their rear ends. If price is the issue, I'd rather edit them myself. Good ol' planar and cylindrical map.
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    i dont know how fast the unfold 3d interface is but I had wings downloaded, installed, importing and unwrapping shit automatically (even choosing the best seam for me) in about 1 minute after never using the program.

I clicked one button and it was done.
    Doesn't get much easier than that.

Anyway both programs seem to have better autounwrap than maya for ORGANIC objects... how about an autounwrapper for hardsurface that keeps pixel ratios equal?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm talking about the time it spent *calculating* the unfold, not the time it took for me to do it. And this was just the head. I had another model I can't show examples of that was about 10,000 triangles un smoothed that UnfoldMagic did in under 20 seconds. If wings took five minutes for the initial unfold, and another five for the relax operation on this model, I don't want to think how long it would have taken for the full model.

Also, I have both models in front of me, and there is far more stretching on the wings version, that's a fact not up to interpretation. And they are not pretty much the same at all. The key areas that are the most problematic were handled well in unfold magic, and were handled poorly in wings.

And about seams, when normal mapping, the fewer seams the better, which is why I kept the ears on the model. It works much better in the engine, as I've still yet to see an engine that handles normal map seams totally perfect.

Reguardless of your wallet size, UnfoldMagic is a superior product, period. I can understand if you don't think it's better *enough* to justify the purchase price. I probably wouldn't either if I were paying for it out of my own pocket. But rest assured it is in fact significantly superior in time taken to relax, ease of use (I didn't know either product when starting, and Unfold was way easier to learn to navigate and cut seams) and because I said so. 8-P

My one and only complaint is that after you have confirmed a cut in UnfoldMagic you have to live with it, or export it to max, weld, export back to get the seam rewelded. I've just learned to watch carefully before confirming a cut.

UnfoldMagic is what DeepUV always wishes it could be.

poop.gif
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, I suppose you can't really argue with results. If I ever go professional, this will be the first software I get someone to buy for me. tongue.gif

Just out of curiousity, why are you even bothering with standalone UV apps? Wasn't Max 8 all about UVs? I had heard that the new pelting and relax features inside the latest version of Max were top of the line.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    this is just gorilla marketing
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    I thought it was stealth marketing.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're both half right...

SGorilla.jpg
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I've just tried Blender on a 40k triangles model, ~15 seconds.

No undoable seams? WTF?
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    wow, lame. people trying to cash in on not making UV mapping a skill you have to learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

By that logic, computer manufacturers are also lame for trying to cash in on not making paint mixing a skill you have to learn.

UV mapping is by far the most mundane part of CG. Hooray for automation.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I'm better painting analog than digitally. There's a free non-commercial version on the site I tried, it's pretty dang nifty and I just dumped the model in and clicked random buttons, I'm using it wrong and it still works real cool even told me where my problem areas were.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    the only difference here is poop and i have used unfold 3d AND wings and you guys have only used wings, so you have absolutly no idea what you are talking about. unfold 3d is faster and yields better results. yes you can undo seams, because you have never used the program you have no idea how it works, you lay the seams out and then you confirm the seams, once you have confirmed them then they are final, there is plenty of time adjust your seams before you confirm them. really there isnt a comparison. wings is nice for a free program but you still have to edit and move things when your done and it does take more time to do uvs, also wings has no idea about pixel desity and you get parts of the model with lots of uv space and others with hardly any, not a problem at all in unfold everything gets even density. i dont see why people that have never used something feel the need instantly hate on it. having used BOTH i can say unfold magic is faster and has much better results expecially on complicated meshes. wings is a nice step but it has a ways to go before it saves me time over any other relax method that comes standard in every package.