Home General Discussion

death of a computer

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
hawken polycounter lvl 19
my laptop died today.

just when I have no money, and many contracts.

the graphics card melted. it's part of the motherboard. 14 months old. HP's pavilion zd7000 sucks.

I am not alone. I checked my problem on the internet, and its common - these laptops fail very easily.

Replies

• motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    isnt there 2 years warranty?

Sad to hear tho.. Hope you get it sorted frown.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    yes, my condolences. hope you get everything sorted for the contract work, it'd be a shame to deprive them of your magic touch smile.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Any suggestion what the cause of this is?

Me worries about my zd8000
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I've never thought much of HP, bad luck man frown.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No one has something that compares to these laptops... atleast when they're working wink.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Why is your home computer a lappy?
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Why is your home computer a lappy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I don't get it either, but it is becoming more and more common.
    For example here in my student home (I do some administratory work for the lan-internet connection, so I can get a good overview) more than 75% almost exclusivly home-used PCs are laptops confused.gif

Seems to be cool to write your 100 page master thesis on a laptop key(crap)board laugh.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I've always thought very little of HP. I have an HP Pavillion laptop laying around somewhere, but it's been dead for years. Broken harddrive I believe. And the replacement part costs more than what the system sells for.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I have a laptop as my home computer because it's portable, I do alot of my 3d during the slow periods here at work.

ElysiumGX>hard drives suck, that's just a fact of life, it's not a question of if they will die but when, it sucks more on laptops since the small drives are fairly expensive.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    my hard drive went kabonk last night, it sucks to lose data in the unexpected >=(
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use Blender, any keybord without separate numpad would be useless for me as a "work" system. But the Lappy 386 is nice for ripping C64 floppies to PC stiffies.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you guys checked out these HPs? They're pretty nice. Mine's been pretty good to me so far. It does run hot though. It has a full keyboard, unlike the typical laptop. It has a beautiful 17" widescreen on it and the video power is pretty decent also. It handles 3d apps better than my desktop.
    Like Justin mentioned, I used mine to model at work during my free time (what little I get). I also use it for my programming classes at school since any software installed at work would be subject to license agreements.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    My laptop outperforms these $5,000 Dell workstations here at work, The dual processor, 3 gigs of ram and a quadro card worksations. So yeah I use my laptop as my only computer.

poop.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well in answer to your question, I used to do a lot of travelling about, and it was very handy to show clients the work at meetings.

now I have a home, for the first time in 2 years, the laptop has died.

I called HP in Japan but they don't support this model, they can't order a new board either. I have been wrangling with the HP customer service by email but that's like talking to a 4 year old. They gave me the part number, so I can fix it myself, but the HP site doesn't allow customers to order this part, even though it's in the database.

I may have found a soloution, and that's to order the part from the UK for close to £500. If I do that, and it works, I'll sell it on.

I am looking out for a desktop PC now, but after buying my widescreen wacom I feel a bit stupid. I actually sold my normal wacom because of this screen!

The laptop works ok on vga, which is what I doing now, but it's stretched and has lines all over. Somewhat dissapointing to fix laptops, but I always knew it would be. One thing I didn't know is that the life expetancy of this model is about 14 months. HP have actually stated that there is a conflict between the NVidia and the Pentium, causing the run hot tempretures. It's the tempreture that was the straw that broke the camels back.

I wish I got a zd8000 now... frown.gif

I have no cash at all to repair this laptop. Kinda in a bit of a pickle really. You may see me drop away from the internet from now. I'm thinking about getting an english teaching job so I can afford my rent.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You won't find any decently sized 4:3 LCDs anyway and CRTs at decent sizes are gone completely. Just buy a widescreen LCD for your PC and your widescreen Wacom will continue to make sense.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    something I plan to do, when I have some money