Home General Discussion

Game Trailer: Movie Trailer Quality

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
http://xboxmovies.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/2840/Tom-Clancys-Splinter-Cell-Double-Agent/

This is the first videogame trailer that I've seen that was produced at the quality of movie production. I'm extremely glad to see this happening.

As a fan of SC, and a fan of movies, I can't wait. Looks to be pocket-aces.

-Adam

Replies

• Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    damm, u stole my link!!!! j/k Looks great doesn't it laugh.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    fuck man, it looks super awesome. I've played and beat each SC since its release. Do you play co-op? We should hook up and cyber one day.

Er.. I meant play. Yah, play.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    cyber, hell yeah! I cyber all the time, wheres that cream, err, oops, wrong forum.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Personally, I'd rather see the game.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    That trailer was a bit jumpy for my tastes, but far more cinematic than most 'cinematics'.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Personally, that video kicked my apologized, then kicked my ass again without saying "Please".
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    cyber, hell yeah! I cyber all the time, wheres that cream, err, oops, wrong forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I put on my robe and wizard hat...
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    "This is the first videogame trailer that I've seen that was produced at the quality of movie production. I'm extremely glad to see this happening."

You need to see more game trailers! This is the first game trailer that is as high quality as a CG movie?!

Sure it was a well done trailer ( although personally I found the characters a bit odd looking in places, particularly Fisher himself ), but Onimusha3, FF stuff, Silent Hill, the WoW trailer and other Blizzard cinematics, the amazing Dawn Of War trailer by Blur studios, and many more game trailers are of quality at least this high If not higher. Games companies having big budgets to spend on very high quality trailers is not so new. Heck, I wonder what Sony paid Axis animation in Glasgow to make the Killzone2 vid? A lot.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i thought i was pretty corny. almost like it was a paradoy of an action movie trailer. >insert gutair riff here. i expected him to jump out of the plane at the end on a snowboard chugging a moutain dew while the annoucer dude says "whos bad?" and fisher says "who do you think?" and then an explosion fills the screen with some wooshing sound effect as "comming summer 2007" is splattered on the screen really fast in sync with what can only be described as the sound they used for wolverines claws.. and then about 3 seconds of silence so you can absorb the seziure enducing flash of .0002 second clips they strung together, none of them by the way being playable parts of the game. thats pretty ironic, i mean it is a trailer for a game after all, they could of spliced in a walk cycle or something from the game. not just the parts they break up the gameplay with to pretend games are some type of non interactive linear story telling device.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    yuk ubisoft. yuk splinter cell. yuk
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, I thought I was watching a trailer for 24: The Game, the way the voiceover was talking.

It was a nice trailer (if cliche), although the generic rock was a bit cheesy. As Daz said though, there are certainly other game trailers produced at just as high quality.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    If games are suppose to be rendered at feature film quality on "amazing" consoles such as the Xbox360, why are these trailers still pre-rendered?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Daz, I agree I should play more games wink.gif Dawn of War's intro is pretty tasty, indeed. Blur did a great job on that.

This was the first trailer I had seen that was more movie than game, to me.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    metal gear solid also does film quality cut scenes .. except all of theirs are realtime smile.gif
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    I think you all need to differenciate between trailer (promo sneakpeek) and opening/ingame cinematics.

No doubt most games have better cinematics, but it was cool to see this trailer presented movie-style, rather than being it just cuts of ingame stuff with a voice over.

And for those that didnt notice, the black/white scenes in the trailer are all actual video (real people, backrounds etc). It's not really film quality CG, it's real film smile.gif
    The actual CG was pretty standard fare (rendered ingame assets), nothing new or even great to see there.
    They just get an applause for actually putting that much work into a trailer.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Sure, but of course, they are often one and the same thing though smile.gif The Dawn Of War movie is a cinematic from the game, but it was also released on the web as a teaser trailer. Same goes for Onimusha3 and WoW, and probably Killzone2. That movie will most likely ship with the game, seeing as the game has no hope of looking like that ;-p
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I wasn't talking in terms of overall cg-quality, I meant in how the game was presented... how it was produced. Don't think a movie trailer has ever got me as excited as this game trailer has.

!