Home General Discussion

Starship Troopers for PC

sledgy
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
sledgy polycounter lvl 18
http://www.starshiptroopersgame.com/default.asp

Found this one by accident released in Oct. 2005 and picked it up. If you like blowing away hordes of things SeriousSamStyle this one is great fun. I'm a huge fan of the novel, and the movie didn't make me puke (like some apparently, yes I'm looking at you 3Demon) Pretty stiff sys requirements though - min is Radeon 9800 or GF5900, 2GHz machine but it's definitely got some pretty spots. 300 warrior bugs bum-rushing you takes a big toll too. Haven't tried co-op mode yet but IMO that's a huge plus feature.

I'm hoping that the game gets into the Waldos (powered armor) - if not I'm gonna be very bummed and have to mod the game.

Replies

• Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    I tried the demo, but given how high the requirements were, I could'nt get a steady frame rate with the visuals I would have expected to be posible on my decent rig. But, granted, it's pretty.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I downloaded the crashy, bug riddled (pun intended), chug-tastic demo. Tried to play through it, only to decide its one of the worst attempts at a game I've ever seen and uninstalled it immediatly.

I have an Athlon XP3200+ 1gig ram, GFX6800 GT and it still gave me craptacular framerates, rendering errors, etc.

I might give it another go if a free full version dropped in my lap, but thats about it.

I also enjoyed the movie a great deal, even though I read the book.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    The patch for the full game fixes a whole barnful of bugs. It would be a pity if they didn't apply the patch to the demos.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    I too tried out the demo, the controls seemed VERY sluggish, and the overall experience was somewhat of a let down. The standard rifle damage output was pathetic at best.

I might have to try it again with the patch..

AMD 64 3700+, GT6800, 1gig DDR400...I got pretty decent frame rates, but i dont usually go setting everything to max and 1600x1200 like most people.

I'd give my experience of the game a 5 out of 10 rating