Home General Discussion

so much for "don't be evil"

Replies

• jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    I'd see this as a calculated move on Google's part. They'll be like the little Chest-Burster alien, you see. Lurking inside the great People's Collective Body Mass, ready to bust out when the conceptual incubation is complete.

You know Microsoft wouldn't think twice about selling out to them.

/jzero
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    ugh.

Cant link to any sites the might try to organize the people to push for a better life for themselves.

Shame on google. Guess Ill use answers.com

(And if I said it once, I'll say it a million times. Capitalism does not equal democracy))
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Seems a little shortsighted to me to blame Google and call them "evil" for conforming to the Chinese government's specs. You might as well expect to be able to sell guns in a country they're illegal in because you think people should be able to protect themselves from each other and their government-- it doesn't matter what you think, you're still going to jail. In fact, as the alternative is likely to be no google in china at all, then anything they can do to promote the sharing of information is a good thing, even if it's not going guns-ablazing in the face of the chinese government.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    google is and always has been a business. they arent free radical neo beatnik hippie vegetarian librials making an open souce search engine. they make billions and billions doing what they do, anything they do that is precieved as neato hipster cool, is putting money in their pockets, lots of it. their stock is at 400 a share and is projected to reach more than 600 by the end of this year. they would deep fry babies if it turned a profit.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    Arshlevon: "they would deep fry babies if it turned a profit."

Classic line, that Sh^%t made me laugh out loud, hahahaha!

Marcus Dublin
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    if nothing else, i just find it humorous google's praised one week for "protecting" people from a govt's inquiries, and the next week booed for "protecting" people from ideas a govt considers harmful.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    This is the problem with becomeing a publicly traded company. Private companies can be motivated by whatever the owner feels like (usually a combination of making money and higher values).

With google and China, I'm sure some of them feel like if they left the market open someone worse would fill the void. It is this type "greater good" type thinking that is the slippery slope to evil.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    China was already censoring Google.com, Google's only option was to create google.cn and make sure it doesn't produce as many false positives as the Chinese blocking system. China has internet censoring systems in place so trying to be some beacon of virtue that gives uncensored data to the chinese will only result in your site being blocked.

Analogy: If you saw an enemy soldier kill someone, would you attempt to interfere even though he'll just shoot you and continue or would you ignore him because you can't do anything? If necessary, assume you have neither surprise nor any weapons at your disposal.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Not sure how that analogy works there kdr... smile.gif
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I thought i understood before KDR's analogy, but now I'm just confused. maybe i;'ll google it *hah*
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    here is a better one, if your a crack whore and someone offers you 50 bucks for some head, would you take the money, or would you rufuse because its not what a proper lady would do.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18

Refuse the money or refuse to give head? If you're a crack whore then you've (supposedly) already been down that road. Why not get paid?
  • Spoon_of_death
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon_of_death polycounter lvl 17
    I honoustly dont get what the 'evil' part of this all is???
    If theyre not gonna do it, someone else will(and would have to wink.gif)
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    To all those people complaining:

Its either Google censors itself, or China's government takes away Google from the people. In both scenarios China's government wins. But in one scenario the people of China are a little less screwed over.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    I think I saw that analogy in a McGuiver episode, KDR's not the one about the crack whore. That would have been a funny mix, though.

I think the real story here is that Google managed to get some kind of agreement with China. Someone quick, send Google to Iran while they are on a roll.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been getting better results with MSN search, both for sites and for images, for a while now...
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    VIRAL MARKETER!!!
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Oh please, enough ridiculous analogies. Offering people partial information vs. no information is nothing like any of these rape/kill/enemy soldier shock-analogies.

How about this one?

You bake some cookies and have some left over, so you take them over to your new neighbors, who accept the chocolate ones, but have religious differencess with the oatmeal cookies. Do you refuse to give them any because they're being backwards doo-doo-heads?

In the end, such an analogy is useless. Information is not rape, or candy, or murder, it's information. If you're going to call google evil for its actions, stick to discussing it's actions and the real issues/consequences thereof.