Home General Discussion

Looks like Stargate: Alliance has been cancelled.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
[ QUOTE ]
It pains me to say this but unfortunately Stargate SG-1 The Alliance has been canceled.

An official statement is forth coming from MGM and/or perception in the coming days.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish all the employees of Perception all the very best for the future. Having seen the game first hand I know you guys did a fantastic job and you have every right to feel proud of what you have done.

I encourage all the Perception employees who are hidden members of this forum to let yourselves be known. You should be proud of the work you have done and I encourage all members of the forum here to congratulate the Perception crew and to wish them all the very best.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.stargate-thealliance.com/forum/showpost.php?p=220545&postcount=1
[ QUOTE ]

As many of you know, for the last year and a half I've been on the development team at Perception in Sydney, working on the title "Stargate SG-1: The Alliance". Many of you also know the legal trouble and the falling out we had with ex-publisher JoWood back in August last year. Since then we have been trying to secure a new publisher for the game.

For the last couple of months, we have had several good offers from interested publishers. They only needed one thing - MGM's approval. Since MGM are the owners of the Stargate license, everything needs to be approved by them, even new publisher contracts. So, when we approached MGM about these contracts...MGM basically sat on their hands and did nothing. They didn't flat out say no, but they didn't say yes either. They expressed concerns with areas of the game. We addressed those concerns. Still no publisher approval. We showed them other offers from publishers, and that said publishers were asking for more information on the license. Did MGM provide it? No, even though contractually they were supposed to.

In the end it was pretty obvious MGM wanted the project canned for some reason that eludes everyone except them, but they didn't want to be the ones to do it. So, they just sat on their hands and did nothing for several months, to the point where Perception could not afford to keep working on the game knowing that they didn't have MGM's approval, and will probably never get it. Developers need publishers to fund the creation of a game. Without the publisher, the developer gets no income. Without MGM's approval, Perception couldn't sign a publisher. So the equation is pretty simple. There's only so long a developer can hold on financially without publisher backing.

As of about Friday the 20th of January 2006, at about 1pm Sydney time, the title "Stargate SG-1: The Alliance" was terminated for all SKU's. This also means the entire development team was "let go". I am now out of a job. After putting blood, sweat and tears into this thing for the last year and a half, and pulling some ridiculous hours on more occasions I can count, it's all for nothing.

My experience in game development is now three titles, two of which were never released, and one that was but I wasn't credited for because I left the company before they finished it. Go me!

We expect MGM to make an official press release about this sometime next week. If they won't then Perception will probably issue one...

Thanks a lot MGM, you bunch of complete prats. Go screw yourselves.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.onlinegamer-fr.com/Article67320.html

My condolences to the SG:A team. The project looked to be shaping up rather well towards the end.

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, that read a little ambiguously without the quote tags. I'm not a member of the Perception team but I'm friends with a few of its ex-team members. The Australian games industry seems to be in real trouble at the moment with cancellations and publishers buying up developers only to shut them down.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Oh. Yea, it did read like you were on it at first.

Your right though, there are very few Australian game companies left.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    It amazes me that this would have been cancelled. There is more than enough interest in a game like this. There is a surprising amount of work completed also, for it to be cancelled. Maybe it's just how it appears on the site :/
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Never underestiomate the foolishness of marketing depts. If marketing just did it's job, it'd be great, but they don't...they try and do our job.

-R
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    This also means the entire development team was "let go". I am now out of a job. After putting blood, sweat and tears into this thing for the last year and a half, and pulling some ridiculous hours on more occasions I can count, it's all for nothing.

My experience in game development is now three titles, two of which were never released, and one that was but I wasn't credited for because I left the company before they finished it. Go me!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a shitty situation. Go game industry!
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Wow. For a second there, I thought it was the one that a different company is now working on. I guess that's why MGM didn't say anything about weather they had the rights or not.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A different company you say... do you have any more information on this other Stargate game?
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty vague, as they probably haven't publically announced it yet-
    'Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment, Inc. has obtained the license to create a game based on a popular science fiction television series. CME is currently in pre-production of this game which is a MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game) of historical human time periods, alien environments, and outer space locations. Thousands of players will be totally free to explore anywhere, face any danger, conquer any foe, and discover great treasure and power beyond the stars. Characters earn experience for finding new places, discovering new technologies, and building new inventions in this exciting new universe.'

http://www.cheyenneme.com/