Home General Discussion

whine whine whine, blah blah blah.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
John Warner polycounter lvl 18
hey folks, i've been a tad bit dis-heartened lately and i had a question i wanted to ask. i really dont want to sound ungreatful or bitchy, because i know that relitively speaking, i've got is soo damn easy, as most of us do.

i've been working my first in-house job as an environment artist. i've heard people complain before that the industry is fairly un-creative, and that they're upset that it's a little bit of a grind. i was certainly prepared for that. i dont have a problem doing model/texture work following a concept and having no creative freedom.

what i don't enjoy is doing a weeks worth of excell sheets, and being the go-to guy when they need someone to go through every single world object and do some piddly little fixies; basicaly shit an office temp could do.

in the past few weeks, i've really, really dis-liked work. now, i have shoveled shit before. i've had 'bad' jobs, but seriously i'd rather do physical labor than do excell sheets and mindless fixes.

anway like i said, i don't really want to bitch and moan, which is why i've held off. we all know that 'a job in the games industry' is some holy grail that shouldn't be tarnished, but it's frustrating. I'm not going to get into what i'm worth and who's good for what, but i've seen the quality of work that comes from the positions i'd like and i know i can hit, or beat it.

like i said before, i've heard that the games industry can be not creative, but how common is this stuff? i'm spending the vast majority of my time not doing anything remotely artistic. an office job.

is this common? should i look for another job, or switch industries?

Replies

• MackXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MackXX polycounter lvl 17
    Every part of a team is important, no matter how low it seems. Have you considered approaching your Lead and saying that you want to break it up a bit and get your hands dirty?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Have you also considered that people from your office may well read Polycount? tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    we all know that 'a job in the games industry' is some holy grail that shouldn't be tarnished

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so sure about that! Sure, it's a goal you want to reach towards, but it's not the holy grail. "A job in the games industry" can be anything from what you're experiencing right now, to where Ken Scott is, which is something to bear in mind.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    try drinking crunk :&
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    yerah dude...be carefuil with the public board stuff. i got in trouble for that at ...well...lets just leave it at that.

-R
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks alot guys. i'm aware that people from my co. might read this, but quite frankly, i'm not sure if i mind. i also dont' think i've even come close to violating my nda. i'm not trying to blow a whistle or let of steam, i'm genuinely looking for advice, from any point of view.

MackXX - believe me, i love working as part of a team, and totaly apprecieate the dynamic there, but if i'm doing something i don't enjoy with my life, i'd have to be doing a pretty damn significant thing to keep doing it. i'm not exactly feeding starving children smile.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Are you the lead? If you are not, then why are you using an excell sheet and documenting the environment assets?

As far as piddly micromanagement tasks, we all eat shit at the end of the project and do whatever needs done to optimize and bug fix mundane stuff.

r.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Tell you what, I'll do all that stuff for you if you let me sleep on a couch in the office, network, and buy me the occasional veggie stir fry.
    I hate my job.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Hey Johnny, it sounds like you are the lead if you're spending your time in excell instead of xsi. Or do you mean you are fixing script bugs in excell? Any who, don't let it get you down you just need to find the right role or the right company. Ask your lead or career manager if you can be moved into a role which better suits your aspirations. As far as fixing bugs go, I quite enjoy it as I used to work in QA so it's still interesting being on the other end of the process even after 7 years. The industry is changing and at my work there are senior modeler positions now that do not require any leadership responsibilities, the idea is put the employee in a position they can excell at instead of forcing them into a manager role just because they want to advance. I was able to advance as a senior 3d artist rather than a lead 3d artist. So to answer your it is possible to do the tasks you like at work.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Communicate your desires and malcontent professionally in a one on one basis with your immediate supervisor. If he doesn't listen, or nothing changes, go to his supervisor. If he doesn't listen or nothing changes, you are left with two options:

Put up and shut up. Decide that it's not worth rocking the boat, and deal with it. If you go this path, do NOT grumble to fellow coworkers because you'll become the problem employee, and it will make you even more unhappy.

OR

Go somewhere else. If you don't like how you are treated, and you know you have skills that other companies would desire, go to a company that will utilize you the way you want.

poop.gif
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i've had 'bad' jobs, but seriously i'd rather do physical labor than do excell sheets and mindless fixes.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's your answer. Quit your job and go to some physical labor so someone can have your job that will appreciate it.

Seriously, I work with some whiney bitches who really don't appreciate where they are at. As far as I am concerned this is the best job in the world. Hell, even when this job "sucks" it still beats my best day at most of the jobs I have held in the past. If you aren't happy doing it, look for something else and quit your whining.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Seriously, I work with some whiney bitches who really don't appreciate where they are at. As far as I am concerned this is the best job in the world. Hell, even when this job "sucks" it still beats my best day at most of the jobs I have held in the past. If you aren't happy doing it, look for something else and quit your whining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Conversely, there are companies who use the excuse of how cool this job is to abuse and overwork their employees. Not saying this is the case in this instance, but I know I've worked for people before who have used the fact I'm "making games" to bend me over. Better than digging ditches, right? The answer is no, if you have the skills and experience to not put up with it. There are very few highly skilled qualified people in the games industry, and if a company abuses them in the name of "making games" then they'll most likely find themselves an employee short in the near future, as there are other places that have a bit more respect for their workers.

I love my job and I love going into work everyday, and I'm convinced I have the best job in the world as well, but it took me a few years and several companies to find one that didn't try to abuse the fact I enjoy it so much. It's about respect.

poop.gif
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    john - this all sounds like good experience that will help you if you want to progress into a lead position one day
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    If it is your first job, you are "The junior". In the old days this mant you were the barrel and crate man - you got punted the jobs that needed to be done but no-one else wants to do.

A week of Excel sounds shitty, and perhaps an office temp could do it.

Going through every objct, checking them, and making fixes is a job for a junior artist - it's an artists job, it needs to be done, no-one wants to do it, you are the newest.

Mindless fixes? No! You are fixing artwork, and I tell you that although it might be shitty, it needs to be done.

Be thankful you don't work with me - Thermidor came in as a junior and has to work closely with me. This means he has to go to the shop and buy me Macaroni pies. And Bacon Rolls. And have me invade his house demanding booze.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Poop: Agreed, some good points there.

Sorry if I came across as a cunt in my previous post. I'm just in a bit of a mood.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    excell sheets is all part of the deal. At first you may hate them.

I grew to love the admin shit more than making the art for a while, so much less taxing on those days where you need 300 coffees to even see the screen.

when I got into art director role, admin was all I did.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    rick - h-ho, and you were so very nearly MY monkey
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Get better at the excell sheet stuff and the bug fixing. Get it out of the way faster and show that you're available to do other tasks. Let your lead know that you're eager to help out with the art production tasks, but don't make it sound like you're a superior artist to others or that you deserve to get those tasks. Being a good communicator and being able to hit your scheduled dates (or get finished early) will give your lead incentives to give you those tasks.

The fact that you're a game artist doesn't mean that you've got it good. However, you should make every effort to remake your situation into a good one before moving on.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome guys! thanks a lot for the replies, i totaly apprecieate every one of them.

just to be clear- i have NOT complained at work. (although by the soudns of it, i really should have, perhaps, in a polite way..) when i get a new task that i dont like, it's generaly with a smile on my face. i do not complain. i do believe this is the first time i've really vocalized my thoughts to anyone other than my mom/best friend. in fact, i feel rather guilty in a way for even making this thread, hense it's name. believe me. i'm pretty far away from a ranting mal-content.

in fact, doc_rob, being good at that stuff is why i do it all the time now. i'm not any more technical than anyone else, but when the other artists on the team get put on technical stuff, they bitch and moan and do it so damn slowly that it gets shifted on to me, which i TRY to look at as an honor, and do it quickly. i was acctualy TOLD that i get the shit jobs put on me, because aparently i was going to get some 'fun' work on my schedual... hmm.. looks like the character team sorted that out. oh well. what's that? re-apply a different value to a pile of objects instead, and then re-export? sure smile.gif

anyway, while i'm interested in doing something about it, i do try, at least, and get into the mindset of enjoying it while i'm there. i've got it easy, certainly. i don't see that as a reason to stop aspiring to where i'd like to be, however.

either way.. this is great info guys, thanks for the perspective. i'll find a polite way to communicate my feelings to a lead- but i wory that i'm too late on that.. but i'm not going to talk about what needs to be done cuz that might be touching on my nda. I'll certianly change how i'm going to approach this because of this thread.

thanks a lot guys, i really do very much apprecieate this.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I learned maxscript and mel script to take care of all the shit repetative tasks. When I used renderware everytime the exporter was updated ALL the assests had to be re-exported. My first assignment at Ensemble was to update about 400 animations with a new skeleton, one of the reasons I got the job was because they new I could automate stuff like that.

Using Excel, or another program, to track assets/bugs comes with the territory. Unless you're doing game design changes, then that should be done by a game designer, not an artist.
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    Simple Rule of Life: You don't start at the top. If you were to shift over to another job, you would be in much the same situtation. New guy get's the un-fun jobs. The game industry may not have unions, but it's still the senior guys who get the highest profile projects until the new kids prove themselves. Stick with it. Prove that you can handle the detailed technical non-creative stuff (anal-retentive attention to detail is one of the most positive qualities that a digital game artist can bring to the table) and eventually your skills with the more creative aspects of your craft will have a chance to shine. If not on this project, then on the next.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool, thanks paul smile.gif

I think my question's been answered then. my main concern was basicaly if this is something that i could grow out of. i see a lot of artists who've been pigeon holed into doing these kinds of tasks because they were good at them, and became to imporant to move on. what i'm doing right now isn't so much of a concern as much as what's going to happen in the future if i continue down this road.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Also, if you want, check your letter of employment for your job description. I've heard of people in similar situations get out of the situation by simply quoting their contract.

Just a thought.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Every contract I have had has had a clause along the lines of "You may be called upon at times to fulfill duties outside those specified herein"
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    "You may be called upon at times to fulfill duties outside those specified herein"

Within reason of course as a lawyer would inform. Im sure washing and drying your managers car wouldn't be covered. smile.gif