Home General Discussion

3DMark2006 Out Tomorrow

Downsizer
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
http://www.gamespot.com/promos/2006/3dmark06/index.html

Free Edition Out Tomorrow. A few new screens on the page.

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Now, let's see what features they cut this time. Will you be able to see your score in the free version?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    When I get this, I'm going to place a shorcut on my desktop that says "Click here to rape my computer"
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    does anyone still use 3dmark for anything useful? Or is it still pretty much for e-penis envy.. I've noticed alot of tech sites move away from it..
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    3DMark06 is available as a free Basic Edition, a $19.95 Advanced Edition for home/private use offering expanded features, a playable mini-game and enhanced Online ResultBrowser features, and the $500.00 Professional Edition for commercial use.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use it as intended, to guess-timate art content quality and shader use for future prototypes. And to see how current gen systems choke, and where. Show where to make the engine scaleable etc.

EQ2 is a good example. I've got a pretty beefy system, and still cant play at full detail.. The game has benefits for users in the future, as this application is meant to test.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    does anyone still use 3dmark for anything useful? Or is it still pretty much for e-penis envy.. I've noticed alot of tech sites move away from it..

[/ QUOTE ]

True... I guess either ATI or NVIDIA will buy them soon, to have them make their graphics demos as that is what it is used mostly anyways tongue.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    or probably leech the demoscene people
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Ati and NVidia can make their own graphics demos and they are optimized for their own hardware (which doesn't mean the mermaid demo that came with my GF6800 had decent FPS, though...). They don't need Mad Onion.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heh, even the gf3 chameleon test sucked on the gffx5200, choppy and the xray blend part didn't interpolate at all.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very disapointed.. It's uhm... the same as last years. They just doubled the number of objects, and smacked on some new shaders and HDR. Rip off if you ask me.

The DEMO mode does'nt even play all the scenes in the benchmark. There is one new demo, that is horridly short and static. I've seen real engines pull off better frame rates.

I guess it does look better, but I certainly hope the future of gaming is more creative than this. How does it take a year to rehash this stuff? 98% of it is just duplicated objects.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i don't even get why this is 500mb either.

SM 2.0: 263 frown.gif
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    I thought the artic HDR scene was awesome. I don't get why they had to rehash some of the old tests with new shaders but I suppose it does give a good comparison between 05 and 06. And yes! they fixed the airship pilots retarded face! The valley scene absolutely crawls and looks very boring. So yeah the main stand out to me was the Arctic scene smile.gif