Home General Discussion

Sam Raimi to film Pratchett's The Wee Free Men

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
While this won't be quite as awesome as the collaboration with Neil Gaiman on the Good Omens movie that fell through, this should still be pretty awesome. If nothing else it'll likely have Bruce Campbell as an angry scottish smurf. That'll be worth ticket price alone.
http://movienews.virgin.net/Virgin/Lifestyle/Movies/virginMoviesNewsDetail/0,15384,938837_movies,00.html

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    One question remains: Why not one of the Rincewind adventures?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Indeed... while this is good news, I have to agree with KDR - I think there are many much better choices of book that could be made into a movie than the Wee Free Men. Any of the stories heavily featuring the Watch would work well, I think.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Somehow I really doubt Pratchett's books will translate well onto the big screen, just like the Hitchhiker's Guide didn't either.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    agree with mop, a watch movie would have been better. still, a bunch of scottish smurfs is going make for a fun movie.

maybe they'll do a few movies and change focus with each one
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I believe the Wee Free Men is the highest selling of Pratchett's books. With any luck this one will turn out well and they'll convert some more of the books to films. The watch would get my vote too.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    The Nac MacFeegle rock! Still, a watch movie would be very nice, too.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I once saw Pratchett and family in a small costal town in Cornwall called Mevagissy (where my mum lived).

It was tourist season and they were walking down the street, his two kids were wearing Pratchett T-Shirts. Kids don't really dress them selves, so shame on him.

I thought discworld was arse. Got half way through the first book and ended up giving it away. Right pretentious tosh.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hawken, you must be thinking of someone else - Pratchett only has one daughter, and she's a 29-year-old journalist.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how come you get "veteran polycounter" and kdr_11k gets "spammer"?

I guess he's a grandpappy. It was him, can't miss a hat like that.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    KDR is special like that smile.gif
    Actually, it was a throwback from the very first day or two of the new forums, I believe Bearkub was testing out custom user titles - I used to have one, but it didn't stick. KDR's was changed way back then and has remained constant regardless of post-count.

That reminds me, I was in Brighton last year and saw you and your 3 children walking on the beach, they were all wearing Dadako t-shirts ... let 'em bloody choose their own clothes!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    listen, I only gave those kids t-shirts and sweets, I never expected anything in return!

yes, they really do exist
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I got it because we had some thread about user titles and someone called me a spammer, I told him it reads "spLINE" so Mop (I think it was him) changed it to spammer for comedic effect, telling me I could get it changed back if I wanted. But hell, it's one of the first custom titles dealt out on the new forums so I'm going to keep it (betcha Mop will change it back in response tongue.gif?).
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I don't have the power to change custom titles, but yeah, I think yours is probably one of the only ones on the forum (aside from R13 and Bearkub), so it's probably some sort of honour!