Home Technical Talk

Building Polycounts

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
Hey, sorry if this is a repeat thread, however I'm trying to figure out what sort of polycounts buildings in the source engine would have?

Also, if anyone knows, building polycounts for next-gen games?

We have a project for class where we need to build a building. There are no limitations, but I'd like to keep my polycounts within current game range.

Any help would be appreciated. smile.gif

Thanks!

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Depends on what you're planning to do with your building, whether it has an interior, whether you're going to be able to get right up close to it, what details you need to have on it. As with any game model, just keep it as low poly as you can without sacrificing too much in the way of detail.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Alright, thanks. smile.gif I'll keep that in mind.

As for what I'm doing... I'm trying to build this to seem like an extremely monumental temple. It'll be very large, and would all in all be the level. So basically, as a full level goes it'd be it and the yard around it.

I'd like to have many columns (roman style) throughout it, which causes the polycount to be much higher than I'm used to. I'm not sure if this is alright though.

(I've only really worked low poly for 3rd person rpg's before like Dungeon Siege.)

So is there atleast an upper limit I should try to keep it below for a full scene (Everything included, all the inner and outer details?

Thanks.