Home General Discussion

Maya crashed and now my scene file is gone :(

Alka
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Alka polycounter lvl 17
Lucky i'm not working for a company and having this problem but my Maya just crashed, blue screened my computer, and now my scene file is gone. Is there anyway of recovering this file? ive just lost a lot of work and i am hoping there is a remedy to this...i'm using maya complete 6.0 and windows xp pro and yes ive already tried a system restore frown.gif.

Replies

• motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    everyone learns the hard way that you need to save often and use incremental saves smile.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    it feels great to post your frustration. but, there could be many factors as to why the program crashed. you should not have completed A LOT of work without saving as you go. most apps have settings or plugins that allow for automatic and incremental saves. system restore won't recover your file, if there was one. and how did Maya blue screen your Windows XP system? I haven't seen a blue screen in years. These days, everything just freezes.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Incremental saves are the way to go, as it taking earlier numbered back ups and burning them to CD, just in case. the hardware is better than it used to be when I started in this business. Keeps the drives from filling up entirely.

Scott
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    maya makes a backup in the windows temp directory, try there
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Ive started to make a new dir every week for project models Im working on and date it, so there isnt a huge load of incremental files all lumped in one folder, just a nice easy to browse folder with the various weeks changes
  • Alka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alka polycounter lvl 17
    Well i usually use incrementals (this time i didnt set them up). I was kicking myself for it but someone told me to use a system restore on xp and it brought it back, incrementals are on now as well as the file being backed up in about 6 different places 2 of which are not on my computer.

ElysiumGX: I dont know why it blue screens my computers always seem to have the habbit of freezing and then blue screening, possibly a virus i havent been able to find who knows lol.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Actually Alka, you may be right, in that there is a Virus in there,because unlike Win2K, I haven't seen a "Bluse Screen of Death" (BSOD) on WinXP before. You may want to go to the Panda Software site and run their free virus check.

Scott
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    bsod does exsist on xp, if you give me the error stack trace. I can help. In other words, the text and error message. i dont need the hex code, just the fault file, description, and maybe memory address. Should be 0xblah format. Or you can do the obvious:

housecall.antivirus.com