Home General Discussion

Optimus Keyboard update

Keg
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Keg polycounter lvl 18
dunno if this was posted in another thread. if so I apologise in advance.

http://www.artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus/

"good things come in small packages, February 1st, 2006"

itching to know what they're teasing with. personally I want one asap, but at the same time I am probably going to wait at least 1 generation as bugs and problems will surly rise in the first generation

Replies

• Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I just can't go back to the cramped keyboards after using an ergonomic 'broken' style.

But yeah, that things bitches.
  • Zcubed
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    I was happy with my old Dell keyboard until I heard about this thing earlier today. Do we know how much these are going to cost?
  • Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sure it won't be cheap. But I want one!
  • Weiser_Cain
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    As much as a good cellphone according to the site, so not so much.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    til that thing comes out, the emachines keyboard i swiped from one of my parents' computers will suffice laugh.gif
  • Zcubed
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not sure how reliable my source is, but I've heard that they're projected to sell at between two and three hundred US dollars. Understandable, I guess, if there's an independant display under every key.

Really nice, but I wouldn't sink that much money into a keyboard.
  • Asthane
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    I want one, but I'd probably never use it, except maybe for Japanese. It's obviously only useful if you're looking at the keyboard, which is never optimal, plus, if you ARE looking for a key, it doesn't seem to show all functions at once: You'd have to hold shift to find the # symbol or such. (Though they say you can program new ones in-- and animate it, which would be interesting. In fact, I'd love to see some games made to actually play on the keyboard.)

Perhaps I'm a little harsh, but it's hard to have any faith in a company that also came up with the Mus Mouse which looks horribly uncomfortable, and contradicts its very purpose in the three lines of text they say about it laugh.gif

Though-- it is good to see a nice, high-level keyboard, even if it's more a gadget to show off. It baffles me how few real, useful keyboards are available on the market. I mean, sure, you can find twenty different brands with little useless hard-coded buttons for checking emial or opening the search engine of the company that makes the board, but try and find a new and modern replacement for your good old Gateway Anykey Keyboard and you'll like as not come up short. Makes me wish I got to try a Touchstream LP before fingerworks went out of business...
  • Weiser_Cain
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I'm only getting it to impress the not quite computer savy, including myself. matching case mod