Home General Discussion

challenge -> competitons

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
hawken polycounter lvl 19
So I've been having a discourse with a Bearkub and few people about this idea, and it goes somewhat like this:

We change "challenges" to competitions, with a 1st prize fished out from the streets of Tokyo (by yours truly) on a monthly basis, and sent to the lucky so and so.

The competitions would run in a similar vein to the ones at cgchat, but not be so complex or restrictive. If the competition is a complete failure like we occasionally have in the challenges, we "can" it for that month and wait up for the next month.

Entries would be judged by a panel of 3 to 4 industry types, with the final 1st place being allotted by combined points.

Winners and 2nd 3rd place would receive a small official stamp to display on their portfolio websites. Although polycount isn't exactly a large community, there is enough scope to have a wide range of entries to keep these activities healthy and free from inbred mutations!

In addition, a permanent gallery space would be set up over on the polycount mothership, for prosperity.

Well, chuck your comments in here. With enough thumbs up we can hopefully see it happen.

(I only have one industry bigwig contact, so pm me if you have any suggestions)

Replies

• LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds great to me, I would participate within the next 6 months. Maybe the stamp and the price would motivate more people to give it a try.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Perhaps make it so that participant can choose a "budget class" lets say low-poly or medium-poly or normal-mapped for example.
    The judging would be done from the quality not quantity aspect tho (so a 500tri model can beat 5k model with normal maps and whatnot).
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds Like Fun.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome idea! Grats to you hawken for doing all the leg work. Maybe even start posting challange start dates, details and news on the polycount main page? As well as keeping the sticky in general updated like normal (something you do already).
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    hawken: kick me about setting up a temp gallery

I can't do it til I am home tonight (about 5-6 more hrs).
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Finally! I'd be more interested in competitions than in challenges.

woot, go go go.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    It's the same either way to me, but at least now we'd be getting nifty Tokyo shwag! smile.gif

Of course, I'd only be competing in non-organic contests smile.gifsmile.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    If it involves planning a great idea for a competition topic before the previous one ends, sounds good to me.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It may be slightly controversial but I was thinking that maybe the judges could be the 4 highest post counts + and industry guest, or some sort of public vote.

If that's viable, we could start this off with the current challenge.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Ew, public vote. Pick 4 people who are pro's.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Err could we public-vote who will be the judges?
    Also would be fun if we could revoke them afterwards if they suck laugh.gif
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    There's "public vote" where there's a poll for anybody to vote in, which is complex and usually a bad idea (anybody remember some of the old competitions here?). Then there's "Public Vote," where the pro judges post some feedback publicly, like in the cgchat comps, which is a good idea. I don't think the highest post count thing would work out that well either. I'd be willing do judge if there was a need.

Hawken, cool idea, if it gets up enough steam it could really help build the community here.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Great idea.

Rather then giving the winner a stamp to display on their portfolio, I'd rather see a small stamp added above or below the winners avatar. Something akin to the way conceptart.org gives icons to the winners of Creature of the Week.

I think it would encourage more people to participate, aside from the Tokyo swag, of course.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I was thinking that maybe the judges could be the 4 highest post counts

That'd be Daz, Ely, Mop and me. I'd say hand picking is the way to go. Take the top four artists here so the rest of us has a chance at some swag tongue.gif.

What about having the last competition's winner as a judge in the current one? That way we see some diversification and noone will continuously take home the trophy.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe find someone(s) not involved with polycount directly... like an art lead or someone at somebody's company who would crit the work if it was something going into their game.

I agree with psuedo about the stamp idea... but maybe something that becomes a permanent part of your tag, like a little star beneath your Loc info for each time you place in the top three (gold, silver, bronze).

I dig this idea competition idea, run with it!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    How about a general stamp that can be used to where the artist wants? Portfolio, polycount avatar, etc...
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Perhaps make it so that participant can choose a "budget class" lets say low-poly or medium-poly or normal-mapped for example.
    The judging would be done from the quality not quantity aspect tho (so a 500tri model can beat 5k model with normal maps and whatnot).

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this idea alot... for the current challenges. But for a real competition, where things are going to be graded and compared to each other, it seems to me this is not fair. I'm not saying one is easier than the other-- just that where low poly takes economy, simplicity, and excelent skinning, high poly takes more topology, anatomy knowledge, etc. Just too much comparing apples to oranges to be fair, in my opinion.

As for the idea itself, I think it'd be great smile.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I like the sound of this. I'd definately try and join in.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ... but maybe something that becomes a permanent part of your tag, like a little star beneath your Loc info for each time you place in the top three (gold, silver, bronze).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I was thinking, Flaagan just said it better smile.gif

Only giving out a star for first place might be better though. Giving stars to 3 different users for each competition would put a lot of stars in the community rather quickly.
    If you give out 1 star per competition, then they will stay rare longer, and mean more.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    i like the idea of placing an icon on the persons name. Kinda like on cgtalk. hehe. The idea of prizes would probably allow for more entries.

As far as judges, i think maybe everyone who wants to be a judge should apply, and then we randomly roll a number to determine who is a judge
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm yes well I guess everyone would like to be a judge. Maybe we better stick with finding some non polycounters.

Bearkub, can we do the star idea? I have no idea about this forum's mechanics.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Pick your judges from folks in the industry. The fact that they are PCer's shouldent matter. As long as they did not enter the contest.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Yes but PCers are easier to convince.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Seems like the true pros from PC will be less likely to enter the contests, given that they have less time and less lust for Polycount glory. That, and their expert opinions, will make them perfect judges.

/jzero
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Cheap Japanese trinkets are just what I need to entice me into learning some decent modelling skills. I'd probably take part.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    hah, I just discovered the challenge forum. I think maybe I knew about it before then forgot. Hrm.