a link to the video:
http://media.putfile.com/gisekletattoo

and a link to the SG post:
http://suicidegirls.com/news/culture/13582/

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was really cool, thanks Rick. Looked like 3D animation, toon-shaded and artfully comp'd.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, that's amazing. Beyond the tattoo animation, I'm amazed at how perfectly they cleared her skin in order to "reapply" the tats. That's cool in so many ways.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Am I the only one who has no idea how something like that would be done?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not too difficult, if you have the right tools and expertise (which I personally don't have).

3d anim software... to animate the tattoos growing, and render them with tat-like shaders. Camera matching... to animate the 3d software camera to match to live one. Stand-in geometry (or image warping)... to wrap the 3d animation onto the curves of her body. Compositing software... to blend the tattoo anim into the skin color / skin lighting.

That'd be a cool project though.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    that sounds pretty difficult..
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    ah thanks eric. That was a pretty good rundown of what I wasnt understanding
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Wow, that's amazing. Beyond the tattoo animation, I'm amazed at how perfectly they cleared her skin in order to "reapply" the tats. That's cool in so many ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean? I don't think she has any real tattoos, if that's what you were thinking.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounded like a joke, poorly delivered maybe. Like she started out as a modern primitive. frown.gif

rooster... yeah, but I'd guess the ad agency types who put that together would consider rt3d character rigging pretty difficult too. I think it's just whatever you're accustomed to.

The part I think would be difficult is the animation itself. Might have been done in Flash instead, or more likely some of that high-end expensive software the ad agencies like to buy. After all they have to have a bit of dough to hire a Giselle.

I was watching a couple of the kongisking diaries yesterday, and one of them details their color correction work. They showed the animated spline masks they used to control where the filtering was applied... that's a similar process to how the tattoos were probably tracked to the skin.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yeah, maybe what I was thinking is complex rather than difficult. I mean, the deatils in the tatoos and all the animation etc.. even with cool tech it must have been a lot of work. very nice stuff
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    stuff like that is often done in flame.
    i guess the tattoo-animation itself was created in 2d and 3d, some of the plant stuff looks like l-systems to me. afterwards it's projected onto a virtual gisele-body, comped over the video of her and animated paintstrokes are used to reveal it. i think there were some parts where the tatoos didn't exactly match her shapes well. looked like plain overlay to me.